Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Big Baby 2

Mudpup

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1397246420' post='2422285']
Build quality and finish is amazing. It sounds great at home at different volumes, it'll be interesting to know what it sounds like at rehearsal.
[/quote]

I agree, it's a great cab, really well built...contrary to what some people think, fit and finish are really good in my opinion..

With regards to breaking in the speakers, Alex advice was to just play the cab and give it some time, not to bother with running any tones through the cab...and that's what I'm doing with my Super Twin.

I'm still a bit wary especially after Handwired's experience but so far it sounds fantastic. Punch like nothing else and real trouser-flapping air movement. The Roqsolid cover I have for it fits better than any other Roqsolid cover I've ever had too.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1397226918' post='2422011']
[url="http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Stoker1/media/photo_zps4f59081d.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]wooo pretty bass, I'm going looking through your old posts to see if you've a photo of more of your stuff!

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1397313378' post='2422732']
Where are you playing in Ashford? We and my 69er are at the star . It would appear that Ashford may well be a Barefaced only zone tonight.
[/quote]

I was at The Windmill
Surprised we couldnt hear each other!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397379235' post='2423260']
Ew. Isn't that like rummaging through his pants drawer, or something? :unsure:
[/quote]

It's fine, we have a special bond ;)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1397377584' post='2423245']
wooo pretty bass, I'm going looking through your old posts to see if you've a photo of more of your stuff!
[/quote]

Find anything I wish I hadn't sold? :unsure:

Hey Mudpup. I was playing at the Windmill on Friday night with DNA. Also, bizarrely I've got a BB2 and BT2 on order.
It's a great venue with a very appreciative crowd. I saw Yellowhouse written on the board outside.

Yup it was a good gig. First time there but will be rebooking - Neil has a bunch of regular bands so its hard to get in but he was pleased with us it seems.
Good comfy atmosphere there and proper music loving owner too, got loads of regulars coming up afterwards saying how much they enjoyed us - thats what really counts in my book :-)
We had to borrow Talismans guitarist for the night - you may know him if you're local?

Edited by Mudpup

Neil needs to streamline some of those bands, tbh... and he must know some aren't up to it.
His regulars turn out week in week out and he doesn't want to kill the golden goose by
keeping those bands in the line-up even if they are cheap. Getting people there is one thing
as it is out of town...so you need bands to keep them there.

That is the problem, if he wants to be a top venue he needs to get the top bands in ..which by and large he does, but
a few wont play because the money isn't there.
It will be interesting to see how his line-up 'evolves' over the year.

Sorry I didn't make it down there..we had to cancel the friday night gig.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1397405906' post='2423590']
It's fine, we have a special bond ;)

Find anything I wish I hadn't sold? :unsure:
[/quote] not so many photos found - though I think I remember the BBingray from a build thread a while back. :)

Following my recent moaning and temporary disappointment with my new BigBaby 2, I thought that I should report back after my first gig since the horn disconnection issue was resolved.

This cabinet is awesome. I was very happy with my set-up. Genz Benz Streamliner 600, Sandberg PM4, Zoom B3 and the BB2. Easily enough volume for virtually any pub that we play in (we don't mic the drums except the Bass Drum). Crystal highs, punchy mids and deep, but not boomy bass. (Rolled off the bass control a touch on the streamliner)

Another very noticeable thing was that stuff that I have been playing for years, suddenly sounded clearer, more distinct and articulate. I especially noticed it in the Bass & Guitar Riff of Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well" and in Red Hot Chilli Peppers' "Danni California".

Anyway, my apologies for ever doubting Barefaced. I am very happy that I bought this cabinet. I can't see me needing to buy another in the foreseeable future. I am also happy with their customer service (despite being a bit crap at responding to emails). Alex kindly spent some time talking the problem through with me and has followed up with an email to make sure that everything is ok.

Now I will wear my "Barefaced" T-Shirt with pride.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1397416914' post='2423743']
Sounds like a win to me. If it suits you, could well be a cab for life, that one. Or at least, until Generation 4 comes out. :lol:
[/quote]

I have the Gen 2 Big Twin T, I was a bit miffed when the Gen 3's arrived, but then I gigged and recorded with the BTT again and I remembered what a phenomenal cab it is, I'll not be changing over anytime soon. Barefaced make great cabs, regardless of the generation, I've seen the original Big Baby out and about, great sounding cab.

Maybe if I have a spare grand lying around at some point I might take a look at a Gen 3 but I doubt it.

Another gig with the BigBaby2, and it just continues to amaze me.
I meant to use both Compact and BB2 together, with my MarkBass LMIII, but I only had one speakon cable in my case :unsure: so I used only the BB2. I would have liked just a *tiny* bit more volume (we were pretty loud today, pub gig), but it did manage. Not only that, it sounded really good. I love this cab. It's got a very focused sound, good midrange, with girth, enough bottom end... every note comes out with definition and enough fatness.
Fantastic cab!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1397954412' post='2429030']
It's got a very focused sound, good midrange, with girth, enough bottom end... every note comes out with definition and enough fatness.
Fantastic cab!
[/quote]
That's exactly what I got yesterday when I was standing next to the drummer listening to my BT2. Nothing lost at all.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1397978857' post='2429075']
Is yours run in now? How long does that take?
[/quote]

I doubt it's done yet, this was the 4th gig only (haven't used it for rehearsals). I feel each time I like it more than I remember... but I can't tell how much of that is the speaker settling in and how much of it is my understanding it better and used more appropriate settings for it.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1397988139' post='2429171']
I doubt it's done yet, this was the 4th gig only (haven't used it for rehearsals). I feel each time I like it more than I remember... but I can't tell how much of that is the speaker settling in and how much of it is my understanding it better and used more appropriate settings for it.
[/quote]

And how do you get on with the HF control on the back? I ran it yesterday at its extremes and definitely noticed more sizzle with it cranked one way compared to the other.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1397989938' post='2429203']
And how do you get on with the HF control on the back? I ran it yesterday at its extremes and definitely noticed more sizzle with it cranked one way compared to the other.
[/quote]

It's subtle, but it's a clear difference. I have not experimented a lot with it live, to be honest... with last night's being the 4th gig etc. I set it somewhere near half way and that's how it's been ever since. For me it's more of a voicing change it produces, but I doubt anybody but myself would hear it with the band at full blast. But that's the thing, I can get a very clear sound from where I am onstage, so I don't need to struggle to hear what I'm doing, and it sounds just as good out in the room too.

Next weekend I have another chance to use the full thing... I don't really need it as I'll have PA support, but I'll take it anyway. And the week after I have the first gig where I'll definitely want both Compact and BB2 together, so there are some exciting times ahead :P