Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Big Baby 2

Mudpup

I collected my Barefaced Big Baby 2 today.

Had a quick tootle at home this evening and it sounds great at low level. Big sounding,clear and the range of mid/top adjustment with compression driver is a revelation - goes from old school thump to shatttering high end with a quick turn of the control. Hearing the cab demoed as a PA speaker was cool too, it was crystal clear and sounded immense.

Some nice little touches of detail on it too. - like the machined BF logo inside the port and it feels really well built.

Thanks to Alex and the gang for their hospitality too. They loaded me up with swag and some spare corners for my Big One while i was there and we had a good long chat about mountain bikes. Alex has a really nice Cotic Soul mtb.

Frst gig tomorrow night.

Ok heres some pics. The other cab is a GK 212MBE for size comparison

Used it at a gig last night and it was great.

It was a weird sounding room playing towards a wall with it perched on an (unplugged) Big One and a loud Engl geetar combo directly under it so not an ideal first run out. It fattened up as it ran in thru the evening and by the end of the night was dialled in nicely with my GK MBFusion and Spector Euro bass.

The handles are better quality, the new compression driver is really nice (very musical), the neat little Barefaced logo inside the port is cool, the bandmates cant believe i did the gig running thru something so small, it sounds amazing and its nice to support a small British company trying to do something they genuinely believe in and i am a happy bunny.

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/7935dd2e38a644ee49c58d4bbd3b46fb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/589e4a250cd37745482bcd374c3dee3f.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/d7fccdf296c971e0cf91fd36fabc6b63.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/e829e172eaeb71dbeef8cff178cb7e75.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Mudpup

That must sound superb given the spec and knowing Alex's fantastic engineering skill.

Don't know if you (or anyone else?) would know how this would fare if it were to replace both my Compact and Midget?

Having said that I'm still really happy with my setup even after several years of use - and they still look as good as new. :D

Frank

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1382274780' post='2249898']
That must sound superb given the spec and knowing Alex's fantastic engineering skill.

Don't know if you (or anyone else?) would know how this would fare if it were to replace both my Compact and Midget?

Having said that I'm still really happy with my setup even after several years of use - and they still look as good as new. :D

Frank
[/quote]

Sorry, havent tried your combo so cant compare. Ask Alex - he's the best guy to tell you.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1382282899' post='2250044']
Looks great :) I think my only aesthetic criticism is the silver screws on the speakers, would prefer them to be black. But that's a personal preference...

Can't wait for my SC(V) next month :D
[/quote]

Easily fixed with a black marker pen i guess.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1382274780' post='2249898']

Frank
[/quote]

I've just put a deposit down on a BB2 Frank. Once it arrives we should have ourselves an NI mini bash!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1382343481' post='2250726']
I've just put a deposit down on a BB2 Frank. Once it arrives we should have ourselves an NI mini bash!
[/quote]
Great idea. I think there's a fair number of basschat members from N Ireland. We'll talk it over in a few weeks time. Frank.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1382381984' post='2251560']
Interested to see what the controls/panel look like!
[/quote]

Recessed black metal plate, 2 x speakons and a big twisty dially thing.
Possibly waiting for a sticker to go on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine. Number 9.

The grill looks much improved over G1 efforts (the last time I tried a Barefaced), finish and fit look good, and it sounds really good in the mid and top end. Tried my Streamliner 900, then Zoom B3 into the STL900 effects return to bypass the STL preamp.

I'm still breaking in the woofer so currently it needs more bass than I usually EQ in. A little tighter in the low end than the Berg IP112ER I have, at least at the moment.

Full range music sounds accurate through it.

Effects sound good through it. The octaver is usually a good test.

Overall, my first impressions are that it sounds as good as the Berg. However I need to turn it up this weekend and see how it goes at high volume. Then band rehearsal next week.

29 lbs is it's reputed weight - feels about right, but I'll weigh it on the bathroom scales this weekend too.

The cosmetics are good, and I am fussy about that. I would change the silver screws holding in the waveguide and woofer to black, but that's my only comment. The handle looks classy.

Looks like a winner to me.

Pete

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1383405089' post='2264142']
Is waveguide just a fancy name for a horn or is it something different ?
[/quote]

I think it is a fancy name for the horn.

But this horn does sound good, perhaps it merits the fancy name.

Posted my own review. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/221992-barefaced-bf-big-baby-2-review-bergantino-ip112er-and-acme-b1-content-also/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/221992-barefaced-bf-big-baby-2-review-bergantino-ip112er-and-acme-b1-content-also/[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

Got my BB2 a few weeks ago a gigged it for the first time last night.
Although I have been an Aguilar 12" guy (GS, db SL) for years, I must say that the BB2 does outperform a single SL112 in every aspect.
Just like Alex told me, a single BB2 is almost a s loud a a 2xSL112 mini stack.

MAYBE, if the BB2 was a 4 ohms cab it could even be louder than the 2xSL112 thing!

I am selling my SL112s!

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1382271226' post='2249855']
Ok heres some pics. The other cab is a GK 212MBE for size comparison

Used it at a gig last night and it was great.

It was a weird sounding room playing towards a wall with it perched on an (unplugged) Big One and a loud Engl geetar combo directly under it so not an ideal first run out. It fattened up as it ran in thru the evening and by the end of the night was dialled in nicely with my GK MBFusion and Spector Euro bass.

The handles are better quality, the new compression driver is really nice (very musical), the neat little Barefaced logo inside the port is cool, the bandmates cant believe i did the gig running thru something so small, it sounds amazing and its nice to support a small British company trying to do something they genuinely believe in and i am a happy bunny.

[/quote]HI Mudpup, how does the Barefaced compare to the GK ? ( volume,dispersion and sound )

Thanks

[quote name='funky8884' timestamp='1385665142' post='2290950']
HI Mudpup, how does the Barefaced compare to the GK ? ( volume,dispersion and sound )

Thanks
[/quote]

The BF is phatter, rounder, smoother, bigger sounding. HF unit sound very nice.
The GK is more boxy and middy. The HF unit is pretty raspy and hard to get sounding good. Remember it was half the price of the BF though.
The GK sound louder but not in a good way compared to the BF - its shoutier and very coloured.

Whole different sound