Why become a member? ×

Yita Double Bass Bow (Carbon Fibre)

SevenSeas

Okay interesting, I went for there 'top' carbon fibre bow. £119, so will see how it goes.
Taking a bit of a gamble but it will be much better than my current bow and similar suggestions started at £300... which I haven't got. Hopefully the quality will be good, I suspect the prices are good due to cheaper labour costs.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1382122374' post='2248422']
Mine came quite quickly and was well packed if that helps :)
[/quote]

Awesome, I paid for the bow to be shipped in a bow case for extra protection because it's a long way from Shanghai, on the plus side I'm glad yours arrived in good condition.

I've got their Pernambuco bow, which is very good quality (although I recently had it re-haired by Andrew McGill to a much higher quality) and I got an excellent service from them as well! They're a good company for value - I don't think European companies could compete on price, you shouldn't be disappointed. Good luck!

[quote name='philparker' timestamp='1382130758' post='2248590']
I've got their Pernambuco bow, which is very good quality (although I recently had it re-haired by Andrew McGill to a much higher quality) and I got an excellent service from them as well! They're a good company for value - I don't think European companies could compete on price, you shouldn't be disappointed. Good luck!
[/quote]

Hi Phil,

I was tempted by their Pernambuco bows but hadn't heard much about them. So went for their top Carbon model, I am glad you're enjoying your bow, I will let my tutor have a look at the bow because he will be able to give me a realistic evaluation on whether or not it needs a re-hair. I am from the SW too, going to see Martin Penning to look at a bass soon, I'm guessing Andrew McGill is a local re-hairer?

(Well... local to Exeter?)

Cheers,

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1382118939' post='2248338']
I did try one that another bassist had but I can't remember the model. It was good value, but didn't blow me away. I think they would be a safe bet, but not amazing....perhaps the higher end models would be though..
[/quote]

Hi Geoff,

True, I think I won't be able to tell until it arrives. Either way like everything you get what you paid for... my current bow is awful and I'm not looking for a master bow, so like you said it should hopefully be good value. Then have a very good reputation so fingers crossed it stays that way!

Cheers,

[quote name='SevenSeas' timestamp='1382132077' post='2248613']
Hi Phil,

I was tempted by their Pernambuco bows but hadn't heard much about them. So went for their top Carbon model, I am glad you're enjoying your bow, I will let my tutor have a look at the bow because he will be able to give me a realistic evaluation on whether or not it needs a re-hair. I am from the SW too, going to see Martin Penning to look at a bass soon, I'm guessing Andrew McGill is a local re-hairer?

(Well... local to Exeter?)

Cheers,
[/quote]

Andrew McGill is from Oxfordshire, near Banbury, so I have to send by post, which is about £10 each way and £55 for the re-hair. He also makes bows, but they start at around £1400! I'm sure you will be happy enough with the carbon Yita bow - they are great value for money and as you've already said yourself: you get what you pay for, which is true, but sometimes you get more value for money and I think this is definitely the case with these and other bows from China. I still have the receipt for the Brazilwood bow that came with my DB new in 1996, which cost £185 (from a retailer in Bristol) and is nowhere near the quality or playability of my Yita bow.

I will also be going to see Martin Penning next month for a new bridge on my DB and have the Fishman Full Circle fitted at the same time, although he's about 40 miles and an hour's drive from me in the other direction,.

[quote name='philparker' timestamp='1382168571' post='2248794']
Andrew McGill is from Oxfordshire, near Banbury, so I have to send by post, which is about £10 each way and £55 for the re-hair. He also makes bows, but they start at around £1400! I'm sure you will be happy enough with the carbon Yita bow - they are great value for money and as you've already said yourself: you get what you pay for, which is true, but sometimes you get more value for money and I think this is definitely the case with these and other bows from China. I still have the receipt for the Brazilwood bow that came with my DB new in 1996, which cost £185 (from a retailer in Bristol) and is nowhere near the quality or playability of my Yita bow.

I will also be going to see Martin Penning next month for a new bridge on my DB and have the Fishman Full Circle fitted at the same time, although he's about 40 miles and an hour's drive from me in the other direction,.
[/quote]

That seems very reasonable for a re-hair, I'm sure there (Yita) hair is adequate for my needs. I'll see what my teacher suggests but if i have to get a re hair that seems like great value. I did go for their top model, so fingers crossed.

Also yes very true, you get what you pay for but as labour is cheaper it doesn't necessarily effect quality so I'm hoping it will be as good as some of the other/more expensive models.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to meeting Martin to do some work on my (should be) new bass, which is very exciting. He sounds like a very nice and seems very helpful and reasonable.

Cheers,

The yita bow is good. I have and used the same one your getting for a bit over year before upgrading. It's a long bow, not too heavy and it does have a good attack. I found it bad for spiccato and similar things. The real turn of through was the balance. It weighed a lot at the tip and would get tiring to play after two hours or so.

But for the price it is great and with a rehair it will be great. Maybe try some black hair for the extra grip on the strings.

But to put a bit of perspective over the whole thin, while i was trying bows over the summer i would have taken the yita over a few bows coasting thirty times as much and a few that made the yita bow feel like a crayon. Very happy though with my bazin bow that i picked up but that was 15+ more expensive.

It's very much down to personal preference. Edgar Meyer uses really really cheap bows for instance and he loves them.

Edited by fatgoogle

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1382183756' post='2248995']
The yita bow is good. I have and used the same one your getting for a bit over year before upgrading. It's a long bow, not too heavy and it does have a good attack. I found it bad for spiccato and similar things. The real turn of through was the balance. It weighed a lot at the tip and would get tiring to play after two hours or so.

But for the price it is great and with a rehair it will be great. Maybe try some black hair for the extra grip on the strings.

But to put a bit of perspective over the whole thin, while i was trying bows over the summer i would have taken the yita over a few bows coasting thirty times as much and a few that made the yita bow feel like a crayon. Very happy though with my bazin bow that i picked up but that was 15+ more expensive.

It's very much down to personal preference. Edgar Meyer uses really really cheap bows for instance and he loves them.
[/quote]

Awesome, looking forward to getting it.