Why become a member? ×

Post your pictures, Lets see what you all look like.

On 29/09/2019 at 23:10, Bilbo said:

Tonight's gig with guitarist Pete Oxley and drummer Russ Morgan at Jazz East at the Alex in Felixstowe. I played as well as I ever have on the double bass. My sound has settled in and my chops appear to be up to speed. 

FB_IMG_1569792522281.jpg

Prefer the Prog image. :D

23 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Out of curiosity is the plane used in your job. ?

Do you mind me asking what an Industrial Geologist does ? Can't say i've ever heard of that job title.

Dave

That particular plane took a couple of us over to Belgium for a meeting.  It belongs to a chap who was arranging finance for the project we were involved in, so for him he was combining business and pleasure.

An industrial geologist deals with the identifidstion and extradcition of metals, rare earth minerals, fossil fuels etc for the purposes of industry.  My end of the business deals with the bit between resources being identified and assessed as financially feasible to extract, and full on production.  I sit in the middle, involved while such finds are in the process of being set up for industrial level extraction.  I spend very little time doing the actual geology I'm qualified for and a lot deciding what equipment will be required, for how long, what's its  market value is likely to be when we've finished with it, etc, which I'm not qualified for.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Being away so much cost me my first marriage, but Mrs Bassfinger MKII was, at the time, a copper so understood long hours and crazy shifts.  She's since retired through Ill health, and i've sort of move partially sideways in my field away from actually geological work towards the planning and asset  management side of things. 

Instead of contracting I've settled on a full time employer who are really good.  I don't get to go away so often, and when I do now it tends to be more Western Europe rather than the Americas or the Stans.  I still do a little consulting, but not too much these days due to potential conflict with my full time employer, but 50 euros an hour plus expenses is a good crack when I do take on a bit on the side.

I'm 51, heading for 52, and I've shovelled enough away in recent years that I'm knocking it on the head 2 months past my 55th birthday which is when my mortgage will be paid off.  I won't be buying a private jet or a racehorse, but I won't starve either and I can spend some time with Mrs Bassfinger and my dawg.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Being away so much cost me my first marriage, but Mrs Bassfinger MKII was, at the time, a copper so understood long hours and crazy shifts.  She's since retired through Ill health, and i've sort of move partially sideways in my field away from actually geological work towards the planning and asset  management side of things. 

Instead of contracting I've settled on a full time employer who are really good.  I don't get to go away so often, and when I do now it tends to be more Western Europe rather than the Americas or the Stans.  I still do a little consulting, but not too much these days due to potential conflict with my full time employer, but 50 euros an hour plus expenses is a good crack when I do take on a bit on the side.

I'm 51, heading for 52, and I've shovelled enough away in recent years that I'm knocking it on the head 2 months past my 55th birthday which is when my mortgage will be paid off.  I won't be buying a private jet or a racehorse, but I won't starve either and I can spend some time with Mrs Bassfinger and my dawg.

Zzzzzzz

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Best thing you'll ever do. I retired when i was 56 altho remaining hols meant i did actually finish my last day when i was 55. After 40 yrs with same company plus voluntary redundancy i hit it very lucky indeed. Full pension no penalties plus a lump sum pay-off. Like you i can't holiday in exotic countries every couple of months but i live comfortably plus my wife was able to finish her work at 49 

Make the best of life while you can sir and i wish you well. Hope your wife picks up with her health.

Dave

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Captain Bassman said:

I’m terribly camera shy - hate posing for pics and hate looking back at them! - so there’s not many to choose from but this was taken a handful of years ago at a charity gig (guess the charity anyone?).

Damn I looked a lot younger back then...!

A44C0BAB-22A2-4B6F-BF71-0FE9EE17C1D3.jpeg

Cool pic sir. Amazing bass and rig to die for there.

Wouldn't mind some details on your bass guessing its an Alembic ?

Dave

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Cool pic sir. Amazing bass and rig to die for there.

Wouldn't mind some details on your bass guessing its an Alembic ?

Dave

Thanks Dave (from another David!)

It was a truly fantastic rig and one I needed when we used to play lots of big corporate and outdoor gigs. Weighed a ton but I had castors for the cabs and a pull-along Gaitor case for the head thank God.

I still have the DB750 head, will never part with that and plan to use it again soon. I used to run it flat at every gig, the tone and presence was just perfect and I never had to tweak anything. 

I sold the cabs though when I went to a Class D amp.

The bass is my one-off Jaydee GA24 that Mrs CB bought me for my 40th. I’m a very lucky chap!

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Captain Bassman said:

Thanks Dave (from another David!)

It was a truly fantastic rig and one I needed when we used to play lots of big corporate and outdoor gigs. Weighed a ton but I had castors for the cabs and a pull-along Gaitor case for the head thank God.

I still have the DB750 head, will never part with that and plan to use it again soon. I used to run it flat at every gig, the tone and presence was just perfect and I never had to tweak anything. 

I sold the cabs though when I went to a Class D amp.

The bass is my one-off Jaydee GA24 that Mrs CB bought me for my 40th. I’m a very lucky chap!

I had a Jaydee fretless few years ago and they are very nice basses but that's a stunner.

Thanks for details.

Dave

Me and the band rockin Hellfest 3 in Blackpool`s Waterloo bar the other week and one from the Hard Rock cafe earlier on in the year. This might be our last gig as Laura our singer has knocked it on the head and finding another lady who can belt out AC/DC songs is proving rather difficult.74982577_10162473046315481_2801348545725071360_o.thumb.jpg.b67ba705dc20ccf9779df41e63dd219e.jpg50224078_2206486622938368_8788933698272624640_o.thumb.jpg.0eae9d6b4e8d5a032c0db3cbfff21db5.jpg

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Captain Bassman said:

I’m terribly camera shy - hate posing for pics and hate looking back at them! - so there’s not many to choose from but this was taken a handful of years ago at a charity gig (guess the charity anyone?).

Damn I looked a lot younger back then...!

A44C0BAB-22A2-4B6F-BF71-0FE9EE17C1D3.jpeg

Now that's a baddass pic.

Blue