Why become a member? ×

Post your pictures, Lets see what you all look like.

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

No chance of me going abroad these days

I prefer to drive! From Shropshire to Saalbach in Austria is 2 500 mile days with an overnight at a £50 Ibis in Luxembourg which has a most excellent Italian restaurant next door... We stay for about 10 days skiing, and it costs us about a grand each including liftpass...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I prefer to drive! From Shropshire to Saalbach in Austria is 2 500 mile days with an overnight at a £50 Ibis in Luxembourg which has a most excellent Italian restaurant next door... We stay for about 10 days skiing, and it costs us about a grand each including liftpass...

I had a cracking 2 weeks in Saalbach Hinterglemm during my early years of skiing. I am a huge Austrophile, love it there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Tips? Have a lesson...

And keep your ankles flexed so your shins push into the front of the boots. That keeps weight over the front which makes turning much easier, as you'll then be using the whole edge.

And learn how to carve as quickly as possible, as the beginner's snowplough turn and stop hurts far more!

Best thing I did as a newbie was get lessons on a dry slope a few weeks before doing it for real. Ok, the response of the brush isn't as fast as the piste but you get familiar with the key skills. Or there are Snozones around the UK. I only know the one at Milton Keynes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A friend found this on someone else's FB page (who I don't know) with the heading "Coolest bass player ever!"

She's not wrong... Move over Jean Jacques! (Though you can't see the reason I'm seated - a broken leg)

It's at last week's Nice'n'sleazy punknska fest in Morecambe:

CoolestBassPlayerEverN-n-s2a.jpg.b3aa8284d53e58a0eb95915601d54602.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 14/10/2022 at 13:22, Leonard Smalls said:

Another climber - excellent! Roaches?

Here's me doing a bit of hi-ball bouldering at Nesscliffe, though I won't usually go more than 5 feet off the ground without some bomber pro!

Bouldering.thumb.jpg.3fd68e0bdaa9d09a0bd70cbaa821f54e.jpg

I fear my memory does not recall, it may be

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/showlog.php?id=74436

Been FAR too long and my climbing gear was ... consumed by my recent fire :sad:

Tho I've a couple of excellent bouldering places near me (eg https://www.boulderbrighton.com/) I've never clicked with it!  Crazy as the technical skills would serve me well!

LOVE trad, pro is up to me (But I always climb with a well trusted partner!) ... approaching a clean route and leaving it clean is glorious ... not at all a fan of bolted routes, but I know many are!  Multi-pitch is my fave! (I fondly recall a 200m route near Geneva about a decade ago!) And I used to have a great rack!  Even started SPA instructor training at one point ... but nursing has depleted my budget and energy!

S'manth xx

• Like 2

S'manth ... a new look!

Wonderfully inexpensive (Apart from the boots which I managed to salvage from the fire and the hat a dear friend gifted me!) ... the stool which is making me smile so was about £10 from a local charity shop ... bargain and great for my back!!!

image.png.46a84d423af7431819a7d8616b6ab31e.png

S'manth x 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smanth said:

technical skills would serve me well!

If you're in Brighton the chalk at Saltdean is close by - perfect ice axe practice for winter mixed climbing. And you know that next time you come back to the route it will be new, as most of it will have fallen off!

Still, I prefer a nice long multi pitch, whether that's partially bolted in the Dolomites or Mallorca (check Sa Gubia!) or fully trad in North Wales matters not...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

If you're in Brighton the chalk at Saltdean is close by - perfect ice axe practice for winter mixed climbing. And you know that next time you come back to the route it will be new, as most of it will have fallen off!

Still, I prefer a nice long multi pitch, whether that's partially bolted in the Dolomites or Mallorca (check Sa Gubia!) or fully trad in North Wales matters not...

Nods, but I've heard the chalk is degrading so I've chosen not to do any!  Fully trad in Wales sounds glorious!

Perhaps one day we can join forces (Trad not bass ... tho both would be awesome!!

S'manth x

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I did some interesting sport routes in the Dolomites. However, I probably did more VFs. Such a great part of the world for mountain activities.

• Like 2