Why become a member? ×

Post your pictures, Lets see what you all look like.

• 3 months later...
29 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Skiing was one of my great passions. Dodgy knees has largely put paid to that

It might be worth thinking about getting one of THESE. I know people with serious arthritic knees who can ski again by using a Ski Mojo. Not cheap, but it means you could get back on the slopes...

Just to get you more jealous, I've just bought my first ever pair of new skis - they're 95mm at the waist, and 154mm at the shovel. And despite their proper off piste/all mountain shape they're designed for fast on-piste carving. They catapult you out of turns like you've got a jet engine!

line-blade-skis-2021.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

It might be worth thinking about getting one of THESE. I know people with serious arthritic knees who can ski again by using a Ski Mojo. Not cheap, but it means you could get back on the slopes...

Just to get you more jealous, I've just bought my first ever pair of new skis - they're 95mm at the waist, and 154mm at the shovel. And despite their proper off piste/all mountain shape they're designed for fast on-piste carving. They catapult you out of turns like you've got a jet engine!

line-blade-skis-2021.jpg

hmm good advice. I'll def being checking these out!

43 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Ditto that! Skiing was one of my great passions. Dodgy knees has largely put paid to that

If you’re willing to endure 3 days of falling over like a fly swat, whilst learning, snowboarding is a lot easier on the knees. I tore a lateral cruciate on the first day of a springtime, boarding holiday (I was off piste and the nose of the board dug into the heavy snow at speed, it stopped but I kept going, still attached and some stretching occurred. Stick with me, it does get better). I could barely walk but with some strapping from a bandage, I could snowboard all day without pain. 

I skied (alpine) for years and then got into snowboarding, but for the last few years I’ve really got into cross country skiing. No queues, very cheap passes, cheaper gear, the warmest, most comfortable boots ever, the list goes on. You don’t have to go off like the folk in the Olympics, you pick your own pace and level of technique and off you go. It’s also surprisingly easy on the knees too, which is why you see some very old folk still getting around. Not very exciting I hear you say? Not at all, I’ve skied and boarded some very extreme slopes in Europe and Canada, non of that compares to the trepidation of a slight incline with massively long, skinny skis, attached only at the toe. 😬. Brilliant fun!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

line-blade-skis-2021.jpg

Skiing is so much easier now with modern carving skis - unlike the really hard work straight skis I learnt on in the 80s

7 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

really hard work straight skis I learnt on in the 80s

Me too! I remember a school trip to Aprica in about 1981...

Shame I'm not as young and supple as then - otherwise I'd be doing lean angles just like this 😁

file.jpg

4 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Me too! I remember a school trip to Aprica in about 1981...

Shame I'm not as young and supple as then - otherwise I'd be doing lean angles just like this 😁

file.jpg

Tried once in 80's up at Aviemore area and it was painful and caught in a blizzard but the aches and pains i got when i was just learning was enough to put me off. I was only on the learning area tho.

Have to say its something i would like to try again as i was just getting the hang of it on the learner slopes and could see the attraction of it.

I'm now a bit older and wiser and probably a bit fitter than i was in mid 80's LOL.

Dave

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Tried once in 80's up at Aviemore area and it was painful and caught in a blizzard

That's Scottish skiing (and mountaineering) 

😁

But when the weather and conditions are good is one of the best places on earth... However, that's for maybe 4 days a year!

Skiing is much easier nowadays, as the skis are so much easier to turn with. But my tip is to get at least 6 hours of tuition in. And go to Austria - the chair lifts are heated, the mountain food is on the whole better than France and beer's cheaper. And it's weissbier!

Though saying that, I love France too, though choose wisely as it can get very crowded. Don't go at half term!

• Thanks 1

I'm going skiing with my school next March. Despite the fact I've never been skiing or shown any inclination to it seems it was hard to find volunteers to supervise ~300 teenagers on their first overseas trip ever. 

Any tips? For skiing I mean. The kids I can handle.

(Spoiler, he can't)

• Sad 1

Tips? Have a lesson...

And keep your ankles flexed so your shins push into the front of the boots. That keeps weight over the front which makes turning much easier, as you'll then be using the whole edge.

And learn how to carve as quickly as possible, as the beginner's snowplough turn and stop hurts far more!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

That's Scottish skiing (and mountaineering) 

😁

But when the weather and conditions are good is one of the best places on earth... However, that's for maybe 4 days a year!

Skiing is much easier nowadays, as the skis are so much easier to turn with. But my tip is to get at least 6 hours of tuition in. And go to Austria - the chair lifts are heated, the mountain food is on the whole better than France and beer's cheaper. And it's weissbier!

Though saying that, I love France too, though choose wisely as it can get very crowded. Don't go at half term!

Heated chairlifts................you're spoiled sir. 😂

Dave

43 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Tips? Have a lesson...

And keep your ankles flexed so your shins push into the front of the boots. That keeps weight over the front which makes turning much easier, as you'll then be using the whole edge.

And learn how to carve as quickly as possible, as the beginner's snowplough turn and stop hurts far more!

I did take lessons for half a day and it was basically the snowplough we were taught and i think that's what gave me the aches cause i vaguely remember being able to turn like proper skiers was relatively easy once i got the hang of it but lets be honest one day at it was never gonna take me past a beginner. 

No chance of me going abroad these days, i hate airports, not so much flying just hanging about airports plus my passport ran out in 2015. Not been abroad since 2009 and even then it was on a Harley Davidson ride down to St Tropez. 

Dave