Why become a member? ×

You're the one that I want - Grease soundtrack

umcoo

How awesome is this bassline?? I ask you!?

I can't stop playing it, pretty easy to play, fun song, good times! It's really rekindled my love of bass lines as opposed to GASsing over awesome fuzzes and synths!

I think this and 'I want you back' by the jacksons are my favourite bass lines to play.

Anyone for anymore?

[quote name='umcoo' post='223259' date='Jun 20 2008, 09:27 PM']How awesome is this bassline?? I ask you!?

I can't stop playing it, pretty easy to play, fun song, good times! It's really rekindled my love of bass lines as opposed to GASsing over awesome fuzzes and synths!

I think this and 'I want you back' by the jacksons are my favourite bass lines to play.

Anyone for anymore?[/quote]

Snap. Two of my all time favourites to play as well.

So who knows who played on the Jacksons song?

[quote name='lowdown' post='223313' date='Jun 20 2008, 10:44 PM']If Memory serves me....
Wilton Felder [Yes, The Crusaders Sax player ]
He did a few Early Jackson Tracks on Bass including ABC..

I did the Show Grease out in Japan about 5 years ago.
Fantastic Score to play.

Garry[/quote]

The grease score is a favourite of a guitar player I know too...he loves it.

[quote name='lowdown' post='223313' date='Jun 20 2008, 10:44 PM']If Memory serves me....
Wilton Felder [The Crusaders Sax player ]
He did a few Early Jackson Tracks on Bass including ABC..
Garry[/quote]

I might be wrong about ABC... :)
Anyone else with that one?

But twas him on " I want you back "

Garry

[quote name='jakesbass' post='223305' date='Jun 20 2008, 10:33 PM']Wasn't it one of them?
I don't think it's Jamerson. but its beautifully played[/quote]

When I first heard it I thought it was JJ. Then I read somewhere, it may have been Bassist magazine, that it was Germaine Jackson. I suppose because in the vid he was miming holding a bass - Yeah Right

Wilton Felder's a new one on me though

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='223372' date='Jun 21 2008, 12:54 AM']Wilton Felder's a new one on me though[/quote]

He was quite a busy west coast studio player in the late 60's and 70's.....
Impresive CV.
Every one from the Jackson 5 to Barry White.
A bit of an unsung hero really.
He is proberly More known for his Sax playing with the Jazz Crusaders / Crusaders.

Another thumbs up for Toto here.
David Hungate was the Bass player for the first 5 or 6 years.
Then Mike Pocoro took over until the present time.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='223372' date='Jun 21 2008, 12:54 AM']....Wilton Felder's a new one on me though....[/quote]
Wilton's the man. My favorites, apart from the early Crusaders, are two Bobby Bland albums, Dreamer and His California Album.

[quote name='chris_b' post='223560' date='Jun 21 2008, 01:01 PM']Wilton's the man. My favorites, apart from the early Crusaders, [u]are two Bobby Bland albums[/u], Dreamer and His California Album.[/quote]

Yep , good call on those..

Garry

[quote name='Jase' post='223278' date='Jun 20 2008, 09:56 PM']It's amazing!! Who played it...anyone know?[/quote]

An Australian called John Farrar wrote it. As he was a bass player (spent a while with the Shadows), I have always assumed he played on the recording. The bass line really makes the song, I agree.

[quote name='stevie' post='223693' date='Jun 21 2008, 05:14 PM']An Australian called John Farrar wrote it. As he was a bass player (spent a while with the Shadows), I have always assumed he played on the recording. The bass line really makes the song, I agree.[/quote]

A quick Google tells me I'm mistaken here. John Farrar was primarily a guitarist. He did have a hand in arranging the soundtrack, though.

[quote name='gypsymoth' post='223709' date='Jun 21 2008, 05:49 PM']it is a brilliant song - there's a couple more in there too.[/quote]

Hopelessly Devoted to You (which I think was also a Farrar song) was one of the first songs I learned on the bass (not that long ago). It's nice and easy to play, easy to read, and is so, so tasteful.

Another goodie that I find really fun to play, although it's a bit cheesie, is My First, My last, My Everything, by Barry White. Could that be Wilton? [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc1oiER2VTE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc1oiER2VTE[/url]

Bass players on the Grease Soundtrack album are: Mike Porcaro, William David Hungate, Max Bennett, David Allen Ryan, Wm. J. Bodine, Dean Cortez and Harold Cowart.
John Farrar wrote You're The One That I Want and Hopelessly Devoted To You.
Toto was formed as a result of the musicians working together on the album.

[quote name='chris_b' post='223872' date='Jun 21 2008, 10:35 PM']Bass players on the Grease Soundtrack album are: Mike Porcaro, William David Hungate, Max Bennett, David Allen Ryan, Wm. J. Bodine, Dean Cortez and Harold Cowart.
John Farrar wrote You're The One That I Want and Hopelessly Devoted To You.
Toto was formed as a result of the musicians working together on the album.[/quote]

You certainly pick up some useful information on here!

[quote name='gypsymoth' post='224683' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:36 AM']there was something else in it with a real deep baritone - voice. cool tune.[/quote]

At the outro of "We Go Together", really deep voice doing some forms of "bop"s and "doo"s by the sounds of it!

Grease is also a favourite of mine to play. (Greased Lightning and Born To Hand Jive in particular). They're the first "proper" basslines I've learned to play (I play mostly straight 8th root note punk style lines, so I'm hardly a bassist :) )