Why become a member? ×

Fool for your Loving - Whitesnake - Help

steantval

I can see I'll have to do a note-for-note demonstration! Although when I've played it in the last 15 years, I've tried to stick to the recorded version, when I recorded the song the fills were just improvised, so on another take they would have been different. If it's played too fast, which is often the case, some of the fills become impossible to play properly, which is frustrating.
Although I am not an expert jazz, blues or funk player, I had enough of those influences to bring some of that to my rock playing, particularly in 1978-82 Whitesnake, as the songs allowed for interesting bass parts. When the songs don't permit that style of playing, which is mostly the case, I have to be more straight-ahead.
Neil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Probably best to break each section down and learn each chunk separately.
This sounds like a good version.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNdlpnMKO-M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNdlpnMKO-M[/url]

Edited by ians

Whoa...tnx for updating this thread Neil, my band have just started doing this and I had forgotten about this thread, my take on it was so 'straight ahead', listening to all those fills in the vid clips makes me cringe!!

*note to self, Must try harder*

Kudos to Mr Murray, that song is one of my favourite basslines in all rock music - along with The Lemon Song. Very clever playing. I've never managed to persuade a band to work it up, but I'd love to!

[quote name='neilmurraybass' timestamp='1457432071' post='2998382']
I can see I'll have to do a note-for-note demonstration!
Neil
[/quote]

Yes please! It took me ages to learn, and then that particular band broke up... :(

One of my favourite bass parts, and all the more impressive to hear that the fills were improvised! :sun_bespectacled:

I had enough of those influences to bring some of that to my rock playing, particularly in 1978-82 Whitesnake, as the songs allowed for interesting bass parts.
[/quote]

"Black and Blue" is a good case in point. Love that cheeky little song, and the bubbly bass line :)

Fool, along with Ain't No Love and Come On, are all in our set list, and rather than try to copy Neil's sweet fretwork, i stick to the basics and use my own fills.

We're not a concours tribute act, so the accuracy is not important, as long as the fundamental riff is there. The fluff on top, is Neil's own icing on the cake, and isn't truly necessary IMO

PS. Come on and Ain't No Love are so much easier , but i'd bet one of Neil's basses ( you listening Neil ? ) my lines, even for those, are not truly accurate

And i may have just won one of Neil's basses

I can see I'll have to do a note-for-note demonstration! Although when I've played it in the last 15 years, I've tried to stick to the recorded version, when I recorded the song the fills were just improvised, so on another take they would have been different. If it's played too fast, which is often the case, some of the fills become impossible to play properly, which is frustrating.
Although I am not an expert jazz, blues or funk player, I had enough of those influences to bring some of that to my rock playing, particularly in 1978-82 Whitesnake, as the songs allowed for interesting bass parts. When the songs don't permit that style of playing, which is mostly the case, I have to be more straight-ahead.
Neil
[/quote]

Man, this is one helluva great forum. One of my absolute bass heroes just chips in and offers help to us mere mortals.

Edited by mrtcat
  • Thanks 1

I can see I'll have to do a note-for-note demonstration!
Neil
[/quote]
Now that would be brilliant...!

I have been listening to that bassline for pretty much as long as I have been playing bass - it's pretty much part of my musical DNA! I have played various versions of FFYL in a number of bands, but I am not convinced that I have ever managed to get your version 100% right. It would be fascinating to see exactly what you played, especially with you actually showing us how you did it.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1457481108' post='2999047']
Now that would be brilliant...!

I have been listening to that bassline for pretty much as long as I have been playing bass - it's pretty much part of my musical DNA! I have played various versions of FFYL in a number of bands, but I am not convinced that I have ever managed to get your version 100% right. It would be fascinating to see exactly what you played, especially with you actually showing us how you did it.
[/quote]

oh yes!!! :)

It's a brilliant song. We learned it at rehearsal but as I'm the singist, we never carried on as it's quite a busy bass line and singing too was a bit of an ask. Wouldn't mind trying it again maybe as a slow burner. See how I get on with doing both ;)

Neil
[/quote]
If you really are Neil Murray......then turn this water into wine!.......wait a minute...that was Jesus wasn't it?........nevermind....carry on!

Neil Murray is one of my first and biggest influences. Which when you consider i started playing when i was 14 in 1993! A teenager in Grunge times! Is remarkable!

This is probably my favourite line!

It's just cool as f***, groovy, heavy, melodic. Everything you need to play bass!

http://youtu.be/t_uUQ3j1KFw

I've re-recorded basslines for some Whitesnake tracks, with the intention of them being analysed for an article or web feature by a friend of mine, Oliver Poschmann, who currently plays bass in Motown The Musical in the West End of London. We rather let things slide, and the project needs to be reactivated. I re-recorded FFYL, but I'm not too happy with it, both sound- and playing-wise. I realise that people would like a video, but I very much doubt that I could play the track note-for note in that situation, though maybe showing how particular sections are played would be OK. I just don't like poor quality teaching videos, which is most likely what it would be when I haven't done any previously.

• Like 2

I love your playing on the early Whitesnake stuff Mr M! I had a jam last year (with a view to form a band) where FFYL came up as a song. I checked if we were doing the superior original and was told yes of course. Turns out they thought the rehash from 87 was the original :(

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1457562384' post='2999762']
I love your playing on the early Whitesnake stuff Mr M! I had a jam last year (with a view to form a band) where FFYL came up as a song. I checked if we were doing the superior original and was told yes of course. Turns out they thought the rehash from 87 was the original :(
[/quote]

I thought the rehashed version was on 'slip of the tongue'? It's been a long time so I could be wrong....

Yes, on Slip Of The Tongue - too fast, wrong key (A instead of G), no bass interest (it's my opinion that Steve Vai did everything apart from drums and vocals on that album, though I can't prove it). In recent Whitesnake it's back down to G, or even lower, to help the vocals.

• Like 1

[quote name='neilmurraybass' timestamp='1457610176' post='3000063']
Yes, on Slip Of The Tongue - too fast, wrong key (A instead of G), no bass interest (it's my opinion that Steve Vai did everything apart from drums and vocals on that album, though I can't prove it). In recent Whitesnake it's back down to G, or even lower, to help the vocals.
[/quote]
He said as much in an article I read-I recall it very distinctly

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1457610030' post='3000061']
Certainly is!!
Rehashed Here I Go Again is on "87"!
[/quote][quote name='neilmurraybass' timestamp='1457610176' post='3000063']
[/quote]

Phew - the old grey matter is holding up!