Why become a member? ×

Fool for your Loving - Whitesnake - Help

steantval

I think the best version of this song is the old live version that Neil Murray plays on. If you and your guitarist can work out the chords to the bit you need, just add in some wiggily wiggily bits on the bass and it will be fine :D[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Works for me![/size]

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1381863943' post='2244765']Blimey, It's handbags at dawn here, I only asked for a bit of help with an old Whitesnake song.[/quote]

See, that's what Jazz does to you :D

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1381863943' post='2244765']I cannot seem to download any of the links, Adobe is not letting it through, thanks all the same.

I'm going around the guitarist house tomorrow and we can work it out using the special software on his computer slowing the runs down note for note but keeping it in pitch.[/quote]

Feel free to drop me a PM with your e-mail add & I'll happily wing them over if that's any help.

Pete.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1381868099' post='2244850']
I think the best version of this song is the old live version that Neil Murray plays on. If you and your guitarist can work out the chords to the bit you need, just add in some wiggily wiggily bits on the bass and it will be fine :D

Works for me!
[/quote]

I like the tune, its got a great bass line. Best to go to the trouble of learning it properly and skip the wiggily bits.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1381863943' post='2244765']
Blimey, It's handbags at dawn here, I only asked for a bit of help with an old Whitesnake song.

I cannot seem to download any of the links, Adobe is not letting it through, thanks all the same.

I'm going around the guitarist house tomorrow and we can work it out using the special software on his computer slowing the runs down note for note but keeping it in pitch.
[/quote]
The youtube clip that Conan posted above is pretty damn close to the Neil Murray line – if I was you I would just have a good look at that. In fact when I next have a bit of time to spare I may just do that myself!

Note that the recent versions of Whitesnake play an arrangement live that is a mixture of the two recordings, with the bassist playing something closer to the tab that xzodar posted above, but in G and with the E string dropped down a step to D, so that you can get the 5th below the root…

I think i have this written down somewhere at home. When i covered the section you are talking about i also watched Neil play it live on youtube with his Kramer bass not that the bass made a differance but it stood out more in the mix. He played the high fill midway on the G string. Cant remember the exact notes at moment but will try and look it out tonight and email you.

Oddly enough i learned Neil's early version but the band wanted to do the later rock version which didn't have the clever little Murray fill-ins.

To sit on the learning fence a bit i read music (altho no expert) and know chords but i sometimes find it quicker and easier and if i'm honest more enjoyable to read TAB or watch youtube. From that I'll write my own lines down based on what i prefer from each version. A kind of short-hand if you like. Like any good musician you should use anything at your disposal to get the job done right. A combination of all of the techniques mentioned aint such a bad thing (IMHO)

Most of all make sure you enjoy it.

Dave

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1381699639' post='2242671']
Off the top of my head I think it is (broken into phrases over chord)
Eb-D-C-Bb. F-D-Bb-G (both descend from first note of each group of 4) Can't remember g run. Something up the pentatonic to octave. (This bit twice)

Eb_D-C-Bb. F-E-Eb-D. C-Bb-A-G-A-Bb-C then pentatonic fills over the C then D. I think they are different each time.
[/quote]

That's about how I play it (which doesn't mean that it's right).

How accurate you want to be is down to your own embarrassment level. We've done it live a couple of times but still don't feel we've got it good enough, whereas another band we've supported do it far worse than us with the bassist just playing root notes, and it's a constant in their set.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1381781412' post='2243767']
If you haven't got GuitarPro, hunt down a copy of TuxGuitar. It's free & can open most GP files up to version 5.

P.[/quote]

Bugger, doesn't appear to work on Macs. Is there one around anywhere that does, do you know? (I hate having to fire up my ancient PC just to download GuitarPro files.)

I'm not surprised the O.P is having a tough time getting to grips with playing this song if he is trying to copy Neil Murray's bass part note for note because it's a very tricky bassline in comparison to most mainstream rock music. Neil is a [u][i]very [/i][/u]clever player and there are all kinds of twists and turns in what he is playing on that track . It's not just that there are quite a lot of changes and it's a very busy line , but also the way he uses accents that make it hard to get right. If some folks are saying that this isn't a challenging bassline to tackle then I would sincerely love to see hear them play this song or anything else, for that matter, because they must be some player!

If there is gig looming , I would strongly recommend on working on a make-do rendition that follows the changes and doesn't offend anyone , and then gradually working in more of the original as time permits , because, regardless of what anyone might say, that is a highly accomplished and relatively complex bassline by any standards .

• Like 1

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1382111900' post='2248207']
Dingus, you didn't read lowender's post? He's just playing busy rock runs over the chords, it's a piece of piss apparently ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1382116421' post='2248285']
If its a piece of piss then I am a an absolute penis. Took me ages to learn this a couple of years ago. Its a master bass line by a master player
[/quote]

I have indeed read this thread from the beginning and with great interest.

I can't play this song yet ( but I'm now going to have a go ASAP) , and it would certainly tax my ability to the very limit to learn it properly , if I could indeed master it at all . It may well be that to Lowender it is a piece of piss play this song- some people have much more ability on the instrument than others and maybe take some things for granted those of us with less skill find a struggle- but I hope he will show some forbearance as we try to muddle our way through in our own clumsy way .

I have mentioned on Basschat many times before how highly I rate Neil Murray and what a criminally underrated bass player I think he is and this bassline really shows him at his imperious best . Listening to it again this afternoon , even when he is playing straight eighth notes he makes it difficult with his clever approach and numerous deft touches. You can really tell that Neil has got a background in playing challenging jazz rock music in his earlier bands like Colossium II and National Health , because he breezes through this song with an aplom which borders on arrogance. Maybe because he too has apparently got an in -depth knowledge of jazz theory that Lowender finds it much easier to play this one than the rest of us .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1382103013' post='2248010']Bugger, doesn't appear to work on Macs. Is there one around anywhere that does, do you know? (I hate having to fire up my ancient PC just to download GuitarPro files.)[/quote]

There are three installers for various flavours of Mac here: [url="http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/download.html"]http://tuxguitar.her...r/download.html[/url]

A quick scoot about on Google suggests that you might have 'fun' getting it to work after installation though. Looks like some kind of Java compatibility issue, but there seem to be workarounds depending on which exotic feline you're running. I suspect that Tux is no longer being developed, which would be a shame as it's a very good prog despite a few serious (IMO) drawbacks.

Looks like the next release of [url="http://musescore.org/en"]Musescore[/url] will support GP files... more here: [url="http://musescore.org/en/node/21443"]http://musescore.org/en/node/21443[/url] & here's a link to the 'nightly' releases for Mac:
[url="http://prereleases.musescore.org/macosx/nightly/"]http://prereleases.m...macosx/nightly/[/url]

I've not tried Musescore, but downloading it now & giving it a shufti over the weekend.

P.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1382116421' post='2248285']
If its a piece of piss then I am a an absolute penis. Took me ages to learn this a couple of years ago. Its a master bass line by a master player. The choice of notes, phrasing and groove, together is phenomenal.
[/quote]

Indeed. He throws in some octaves in the verse, for example, and I try putting them in but can't get close to the fluidity with which he plays them. I finished up going for the feel, as close as I could get it, because I certainly couldn't get it note-for-note.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1382200881' post='2249254']

Beats me, seems an awful lot to remember, lots of fast little licks and fills...would fry my head :)
[/quote]

Exactly ! This is a difficult line to learn properly , and watching this guy has made me realise it's even harder that I thought . The way Neil Murray interprets the chorus is absolutely brilliant and a bit daunting to try and replicate by ear . I try and console myself with the fact that Neil is very tall and therefore at a great advantage in these things.

Whenever I have played Whitesnake from that era I just simplify the bass lines to fit in with my own lack of ability. No-one has yet laughed and pointed. I've managed to convince myself that his bass lines are overly fussy for the tunes, so don't have any issues with doing simpler versions. :)

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1382268044' post='2249799']
Excellent thread - thanks everyone! I'm also struggling with this and need it done in two weeks, so no great hurry. The singer wants us to play it in F# too, making it somewhat impossible to play along with any of the available tracks.
[/quote]

If you can get hold of an MP3 of it, there's quite a few ways of varying the pitch so you can play along.