Why become a member? ×

Fool for your Loving - Whitesnake - Help

steantval

10 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Stats go up every time I post a new transcription, Dad, and tail off during gaps. Doesn't seem to matter when it is posted. 3000 hits in the first month.

Its on my favs in toolbar of laptop now as i regularly use it for help with some of the more difficult songs i like. Plus some songs i had forgotten about over the years like Theme 1 from Cozy Powell Over the Top album. Aaahhhhh memories of my younger days when nothing was difficult or i just ad-libbed to make it fit :laugh1:

Dave 

5 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Here you go, guys. Let me know if you disagree with any details and I will probably ignore you ;)

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/fool-for-your-loving-whitesnake/

Outstanding work! 

I wonder if you wouldn't mind pointing out which bars contain the the fluffs (or 'clinkers' as you call them)? I know the part reasonably well, but there were always a couple of bits where I couldn't quite make out what NM was playing so I just put in my own run. I wonder if these were the fluffs? With my meagre reading skills, I'll probably never find the right bits, whereas I might manage reading a bar or two if pointed in the right direction! 

I like your note about how accurate David Coverdale’s vocals were. I think that many people seriously underrate just how good Coverdale was in those days, up there with Rodgers and the very best for me. At least he was until he started mucking about with his voice and tried to sound like an American AOR screamer...! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, peteb said:

...I wonder if you wouldn't mind pointing out which bars contain the the fluffs (or 'clinkers' as you call them)?...

The Maestro will confirm or deny, but I'd guess it's the bars with the notes in brackets (99, 107..?). I may be completely wrong, of course. :D

I'd never really noticed that until i heard the isolated bass line in this thread. When i went back to listen to the original recording you get the picture of Neil throwing in some off the cuff fills on the day. They virtually get covered over in the mix tho. Its the same when you hear a lot of the isolated bass tracks. John Entwhistle had some and Geddy too i've heard some odd notes or missed notes. It was a different way of recording back then tho.

Still one of my fav bass players and that song is one of the classic rock songs IMHO of course.

Dave

Well we did it on Weds, I ad-libbed a lot of the fills but it was passable given I only started learning it last Sat (and didn’t know the song at all until then). I’ll get it, an just glad the guys suggested it, it’s a great song and really good to play, although there are a lot of fills to me they’re supportive and really add to the feel.

• Like 2

On 06/08/2020 at 12:46, 4000 said:

My initial comment was more about learning by ear though. I’m not sure I’ve ever really heard anything that I can’t work out by ear, from day one, so it’s always difficult for me to imagine what it must be like when you can’t. Given I rely 100% on my ears, I’d sink very, very fast!

You can improve youe ear with practice just like anything else,

When I started out I struggled to tell what key something was in.

After a few years I took singing lessons and the tutor said my relative pitch was fantastic (although I don't have perfect pitch).

These days I can get in key withon 2 or 3 notes, but I struggle to work fast passages out by ear. Generally i find a tab and then work through fininding any errors..

16 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Well we did it on Weds, I ad-libbed a lot of the fills but it was passable given I only started learning it last Sat (and didn’t know the song at all until then). I’ll get it, an just glad the guys suggested it, it’s a great song and really good to play, although there are a lot of fills to me they’re supportive and really add to the feel.

Nice one

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You can improve youe ear with practice just like anything else,

When I started out I struggled to tell what key something was in.

After a few years I took singing lessons and the tutor said my relative pitch was fantastic (although I don't have perfect pitch).

These days I can get in key withon 2 or 3 notes, but I struggle to work fast passages out by ear. Generally i find a tab and then work through fininding any errors..

Oh of course you can, and I’m sure I did and still do. But even right at the start I could always work stuff out pretty easily, certainly in terms of hearing what was going on. Maybe being bombarded with jazz from birth helped. 😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4000 said:

Oh of course you can, and I’m sure I did and still do. But even right at the start I could always work stuff out pretty easily, certainly in terms of hearing what was going on. Maybe being bombarded with jazz from birth helped. 😉

Before starting to play bass i had never tried to isolate a bass line so had to work at that. I originally took lessons for 12-18mths and from there it was a combination of ear or music sheet if i could find it. There were a good few shops in Glasgow that sold music books etc back in late 70's. After a few years i could get most songs i was trying to learn without too much trouble. I was practising 2-3hrs a day after work and longer at weekends for at least 2-3 years when i got fed up with band politics and focused on my own playing. Some songs i could work out on paper without even lifting the bass. (simple ones)

Nowadays its back to hard work learning again as i took a 15yr break from bands and lost interest in playing the bass at all.

I think its a lot easier to learn new things and perfect your learning process at a younger age. Maybe i was just more of a bass geek back then :lol:

These days i'll use anything i can to learn a song as easily as poss. Music sheet, bass tabs, ear, youtube or even hand written notes from mates. We have so much choice these days.

Dave

Regarding the so-called "clinkers", I am not completely  convinced that these are actually on the master tape. To my ears, it sounds more like there is some kind of degradation to the rendering of the isolated bass track that makes it sound like things have gone slightly askew in places. It would be very interesting to hear a higher fidelity isolated bass track to see if that was really the case. As helpful as this example is (and it has been a fascinating listen for me), it is pretty muffled and clumpy in places. What is actually going on is a bit murky. I am sure there might be some spontaneity  involved somewhere along the line, but maybe not as much as we are supposing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

Regarding the so-called "clinkers", I am not completely  convinced that these are actually on the master tape. To my ears, it sounds more like there is some kind of degradation to the rendering of the isolated bass track that makes it sound like things have gone slightly askew in places. It would be very interesting to hear a higher fidelity isolated bass track to see if that was really the case. As helpful as this example is (and it has been a fascinating listen for me), it is pretty muffled and clumpy in places. What is actually going on is a bit murky. I am sure there might be some spontaneity  involved somewhere along the line, but maybe not as much as we are supposing.  

Think you may be right. I'm happy to go with that. Neil's a hero of mine and a huge influence.

Dave 

On 06/08/2020 at 20:43, Bilbo said:

I have finished (90 minutes) and have discovered something really interesting using the above isolated bass tracks. I found that about 98%of the tune was easy enough to write out but there are a few fills I couldn't hear, even slowed down by 75%. Revisiting the transcription with the isolated bass tracks reveals that the bits I couldn't hear are actually fluffed. I can't hear them because they aren't played. They are approximations, near misses, nearly but not quite fills. They are unplayable by most of us because they are were unplayed by Mr Murray (who I also rate very highly). 

I will post the transcription tomorrow on my website and post a link here. 

Hi Folks would someone be kind enough to put a link up for the isolated bass on FFYL original line please or is it on youtube, thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, chris7273 said:

I can open them with Tux Guitar or online with : https://www.soundslice.com/guitar-pro-viewer/

The second (without Stevie Vai in the file name) seems close to the Bilbo's transcription. 

Thank you Dad3353 for these GP files

Can view them thru your link but not able to download. Created a Soundslice account but still can't. Are you able to download as a pdf or something we can all keep. ?

Dave

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Can view them thru your link but not able to download. Created a Soundslice account but still can't. Are you able to download as a pdf or something we can all keep. ?

Dave

I can export from GP as Pdf; there are five instruments in there. Do you want all five, or just the bass..? GP plays them, too; do you want the audio..?

(Guitar Pro is an excellent tool in its own right, and worth its low price...)

Edited by Dad3353

12 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I already have existing gp files of the song, I meant if someone could create a gp file of Bilbo's specific transcription so I could compare the two. Not a big deal, I'm unlikely to change the way I play it much after 15 years in any case.

16 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I can export from GP as Pdf; there are five instruments in there. Do you want all five, or just the bass..? GP plays them, too; do you want the audio..?

(Guitar Pro is an excellent tool in its own right, and worth its low price...)

I've said it in other threads before this program was a godsend when I started getting seriously into covers bands and trying to get decent sounding versions learned quickly. I could pick stuff up about 3 times as quick compared to looking at tab or by ear alone. It's probably been slightly surpassed by YouTube demos these days but for years it was my go to source to get started.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KevB said:

I already have existing gp files of the song, I meant if someone could create a gp file of Bilbo's specific transcription so I could compare the two. Not a big deal, I'm unlikely to change the way I play it much after 15 years in any case.

You cannot edit the files you already have..? :/ There's not much to change. I'll have a look this afternoon (it's too hot for doing much useful anyway, so...)