Why become a member? ×

Fool for your Loving - Whitesnake - Help

steantval

1 hour ago, peteb said:

You do need a half decent singer to even attempt quite a few Whitesnake songs. Something that old Coverversion is finding out as he gets older and his voice is starting to go... 

It’s a mid set one - warmed up but not end of the list when failing

11 hours ago, Bilbo said:

An hour's work. I have to access a copy of the recording to work from but it seems easy enough.

Easy???? we are talking original Fool for your Loving....it's a monster of a Bassline if you can work this out in an hour I tip my hat to you....been attempting this on and off for yonks and still can't play it properly.

• Like 2

Got to admit FFYL (the Neil Murray version of course) has been a not so guilty pleasure of mine but a work in progress for the last few years.

I’ve never played that song live, but I did put the work in for one band to get Neil Murray’s also great bass line on Ain’t No Love in the Heart of the City fairly close, only for the song to be dropped by the lead guitarist/band leader.

I later found out that my predecessor in the band had kept the bass line very simple, so with that and a few other incidents, I gradually built a suspicion that the lead guitarist didn’t want anyone else in the band to steal his thunder or even share a little of his limelight.😯

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thebigyin said:

Easy???? we are talking original Fool for your Loving....it's a monster of a Bassline if you can work this out in an hour I tip my hat to you....been attempting this on and off for yonks and still can't play it properly.

Its a great line, but I’ve never thought it was difficult (and yes, I’m talking the original). I’m sure Bilbo is more than up to it, given the stuff he listens to and plays. 

To be honest, and I’m not judging anyone here at all, but I’ve always been a bit baffled that people can’t work stuff like this out pretty easily by ear. Obviously some can’t, but it’s so outside my experience. 

Edited by 4000

22 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I may yet eat my words, thebigyin 😄

Lol I don't doubt your ability and i'm sure you'll nail it....to me it's a hard bassline but i'm just an average bassist I can play a simplified version no problem but it's a great bassline and deserves doing properly I will get it one day...all the best.

14 hours ago, 4000 said:

Its a great line, but I’ve never thought it was difficult (and yes, I’m talking the original). I’m sure Bilbo is more than up to it, given the stuff he listens to and plays. 

To be honest, and I’m not judging anyone here at all, but I’ve always been a bit baffled that people can’t work stuff like this out pretty easily by ear. Obviously some can’t, but it’s so outside my experience. 

Wish I had your talent I have always struggled a bit with some stuff especially busy lines but I plug away and try my best.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Fast lines are just slow lines speeded up. If you can do the slow licks, there is no reason why you can't do the fast ones. 

I have recordings of tracks I played years ago, there is no way I could play some of them now, I am now a lot older and do not have the dexterity.☹️

31 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

Wish I had your talent I have always struggled a bit with some stuff especially busy lines but I plug away and try my best.

I usually start off by listening to the song a few times and playing along with it to get the right feel of the song. Then i take a section at a time and just work away on it. Sometimes i have to play it slower and gradually speed things up till i get it just riight.

Neil and Jack Bruce were probably my biggest influences in bass in my early days. I find Neil's bass lines come reasonably natural to me but FFYL has always been the stand out bass line for me. Its all the little fills he added that take it away from being a run of the mill line. The man is a genius in my book. The perfect rock bassist.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Fast lines are just slow lines speeded up. If you can do the slow licks, there is no reason why you can't do the fast ones. 

Not always true, there is a hard physical limit of what you can do. I have no problem with Fool for your loving, don't find it that hard, but some of the faster lines, my fingers will physically not move fast enough with all the will in the world and all the practice.

Running a 4 minute mile is just a question of running an 8 minute mile faster, doesn't mean everyones bodies can actually do it, even if they know how to put their feet in the right place!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, steantval said:

I have recordings of tracks I played years ago, there is no way I could play some of them now, I am now a lot older and do not have the dexterity.☹️

Oddly enough i've heard early recordings from my early 20's (1980 ish) and i played a lot more ad-lib fills in songs than i would do now but my speed and technique has improved and i can still do those early bass lines at a push.

I still get blisters with roundwound strings so that's never changed. :laugh1:

I def don't have the ability to ad-lib on the spot these days maybe because i now have a strict rule to play a cover song as near the original as possible and if the band permits i may add some additional fills.

Dave

Of course there are physical limitations but Neil Murray is no Hadrien Feraud (although he did dep for Jeff Berlin in Bruford). There are only about three or four fills in FFYL that are four consecutive sixteenths. Most of it is 8th notes with occasional hammer-ons, almost all diatonic. 

26 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Not always true, there is a hard physical limit of what you can do. I have no problem with Fool for your loving, don't find it that hard, but some of the faster lines, my fingers will physically not move fast enough with all the will in the world and all the practice.

Running a 4 minute mile is just a question of running an 8 minute mile faster, doesn't mean everyones bodies can actually do it, even if they know how to put their feet in the right place!

Obviously i don't know you, so don't take this personally because i haven't seen or heard you play. I don't know what your limiting factor is so I'm just throwing in my own thoughts.

I struggle with Jeff Berlin fast lines and probably my limit at the moment is a step down from him. I can take some of his songs and work on them and eventually i will get most of it but i need to put in a lot of work to get there. Its not an overnight thing because i need to strengthen my fingers to maintain the stamina to keep it going. I also needed to change my technique to follow his hand positioning. That all takes time.  (Talkng months for me.)

On the other hand take someone like Steve Harris from Iron Maiden. Not technically brilliant bass lines but the stamina required to keep that pace for song after song is incredible. There is his 3 finger plucking technique to contend with.

I'm curious what the limiting factor is for you. Is it a physical thing, commitment to learning fast songs, or willingness to spend months learning new techniques and building stamina.

My limiting factor is I struggle with spending months trying to get faster and increase stamina.I get bored quickly too :laugh1:

As i said don't take it personally its just me being curious. 👍

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Obviously i don't know you, so don't take this personally because i haven't seen or heard you play. I don't know what your limiting factor is so I'm just throwing in my own thoughts.

My limiting factor is speed in my left hand. This isnt a new issue, this is since i have been a child, my left hand can not move as fast as my right hand. This is more a piano issue than a guitar / bass issue, as often on the piano your hands have to do the same things.

Its not a huge limitation. I can play fool for your loving no problem, I don't find it hard. I am pointing out however that just because I don't find it hard doesn't mean that many other people might find it hard, and that saying 'oh its easy get over it' is not really that helpful.

My piano teacher used to shout at me about my hand being slow, saying I was being lazy not making it faster. Probably why I react a bit too much to people saying its easy.

I struggle with Jeff Berlin fast lines and probably my limit at the moment is a step down from him. I can take some of his songs and work on them and eventually i will get most of it but i need to put in a lot of work to get there. Its not an overnight thing because i need to strengthen my fingers to maintain the stamina to keep it going. I also needed to change my technique to follow his hand positioning. That all takes time.  (Talkng months for me.)

On the other hand take someone like Steve Harris from Iron Maiden. Not technically brilliant bass lines but the stamina required to keep that pace for song after song is incredible. There is his 3 finger plucking technique to contend with.

Three finger plucking I can do all day, because that is my right hand. I don't find any steve harris song hard. Obviously if I had to do a whole set of his I would probably get knackered after a while and certainly if I haven't played much for a while my hand would notice after run to the hills, but in general not an issue.

Having said that, Hysteria for instance, two fingered plucking, after a while I willl stop it and play plectrum style as my hand has a problem with that.

HIt me with your rythmn stick I can do but in the middle change around bit my left hand with its clumsy slowness will often mess up.

I'm curious what the limiting factor is for you. Is it a physical thing, commitment to learning fast songs, or willingness to spend months learning new techniques and building stamina.

None of that, I just know after all these years of trying (and i really did try when I was young), the fingers on my left hand will not move past a certain speed.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

My limiting factor is speed in my left hand. This isnt a new issue, this is since i have been a child, my left hand can not move as fast as my right hand. This is more a piano issue than a guitar / bass issue, as often on the piano your hands have to do the same things.

Its not a huge limitation. I can play fool for your loving no problem, I don't find it hard. I am pointing out however that just because I don't find it hard doesn't mean that many other people might find it hard, and that saying 'oh its easy get over it' is not really that helpful.

My piano teacher used to shout at me about my hand being slow, saying I was being lazy not making it faster. Probably why I react a bit too much to people saying its easy.

Three finger plucking I can do all day, because that is my right hand. I don't find any steve harris song hard. Obviously if I had to do a whole set of his I would probably get knackered after a while and certainly if I haven't played much for a while my hand would notice after run to the hills, but in general not an issue.

Having said that, Hysteria for instance, two fingered plucking, after a while I willl stop it and play plectrum style as my hand has a problem with that.

HIt me with your rythmn stick I can do but in the middle change around bit my left hand with its clumsy slowness will often mess up.

None of that, I just know after all these years of trying (and i really did try when I was young), the fingers on my left hand will not move past a certain speed.

Thanks for being so honest and open. Its something that i never really thought about. I've always just made the assumption based on myself that its down to not practising hard or long enough. 

Weird that i think that way as i have come across guitarists that are limited in ability and i just know they literally couldn't practise more to improve. Its was just their limit. 

Cheers

Dave 

• Like 1