Why become a member? ×

Fool for your Loving - Whitesnake - Help

steantval

6 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Resurrection time - having to learn this for my current band, monster bass-line, respect @neilmurraybass I suspect this one`s gonna take me some time!

Fair play to ya Lozz, I tried ...and failed, so tweaked it a bit for my lot, great tune, love playing it!

Edited by Oopsdabassist
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, peteb said:

Are you doing the original (Neil Murray) bassline?

If you are going to attempt Murray's version, the secret (for me anyway) was to make sure that the drummer holds back a little. If he speeds up (as many semi-pro drummers have a habit of doing), then it gets very easy for you to struggle to get all the parts of the bassline in before you're onto the next section...! 

I’ll try and get as near as possible, and realise with this one it really is a case of slow but sure, learn separate parts at a time then join up at a later point. Doesn’t help that all tab online is in A, so as well as an already complicated song every nite has to be dropped 2 frets. 

31 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ll try and get as near as possible, and realise with this one it really is a case of slow but sure, learn separate parts at a time then join up at a later point. Doesn’t help that all tab online is in A, so as well as an already complicated song every nite has to be dropped 2 frets. 

The version in A isn't the Neil Murray version - it's the Rudy Sarzo line, which although a perfectly good bassline suited to a bigger production, lacks the magic of the original Murray part. 

There is a pretty accurate tab of the Neil Murray part (in G) somewhere online, which I reckon is about 90% right (misses a few runs) but a good starter for ten. 

Edited by peteb

I'll have another look but i used to have the music sheet / tab for the original back in 2012. Couldn't find it last time i looked but worth a try in the morning again. If i find it i'll scan and post. Its what i used to learn the original part. Took me a little while to get the ad-lib bits but it was worth it. Then the Deep Purple & friends tribute decided they wanted to do the later version in A. I was furious after spending so much time on it.

Later version was pretty much a skoosh

Dave

8 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Then the Deep Purple & friends tribute decided they wanted to do the later version in A. I was furious after spending so much time on it.

I would be annoyed at that.

I tend to be annoyed when I hear someone play it in a pub and they have reduced it enough to take the life out of it. Which it has to be said, is almost every time I have heard it in a pub except once.

• Like 1

I auditioned for a band once and they had this song on the list. I asked which version - "The original, it's so much better" was the reply.

Imagine my horror when they actually meant the mid-80s version. Thankfully by that point in the audition I'd realised the band wasn't for me so I played an interpretation of Neil's line. (They didn't notice as the guitarists were too busy trying to out-shred each other through EVERYTHING hence my decision...)

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I would be annoyed at that.

I tend to be annoyed when I hear someone play it in a pub and they have reduced it enough to take the life out of it. Which it has to be said, is almost every time I have heard it in a pub except once.

I was annoyed especially when the later version was in a different key and lacked the thing that made the song famous in Neil's bass line. It was the one song i was really looking forward to playing. I think the guitarist struggled with the original as it had a cleaner guitar sound than the metal version. 

As a band we did struggle with Whitesnake songs from that era. It wasn't that we couldn't play the right notes but the band back then had a specific feel to it. It wasn't just a David Coverdale metal band. We just couldn't capture that bluesy rock feel for some reason and therefore couldn't pull off a decent reproduction of the songs. Neil's bass lines were by far the better ones to play.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I was annoyed especially when the later version was in a different key and lacked the thing that made the song famous in Neil's bass line. It was the one song i was really looking forward to playing. I think the guitarist struggled with the original as it had a cleaner guitar sound than the metal version. 

As a band we did struggle with Whitesnake songs from that era. It wasn't that we couldn't play the right notes but the band back then had a specific feel to it. It wasn't just a David Coverdale metal band. We just couldn't capture that bluesy rock feel for some reason and therefore couldn't pull off a decent reproduction of the songs. Neil's bass lines were by far the better ones to play.

Dave

There’s a reason why later versions of Whitesnake, the various WS tribute bands and most cover bands generally play a version in between the two recorded versions but without the original bassline. Whilst we are all in awe of Neil’s original part, it does mean that you can’t go for a bigger sounding arrangement and you have to play the song a notch slower than perhaps feels comfortable for many bands.

The cover band that I’m in play a few classic WS songs, but we tend to go for the later period live arrangements. This because that is closer to what we naturally sound like, having all been a product of the 80s hard rock scene (perhaps not quite so much with me, but then I have played in more bluesier bands as well). Both versions of Whitesnake have their strengths (especially live), although after 1987 the songwriting suffered and the albums tended to be pretty poor. Also, Coverdale’s voice suffered, losing a lot of the richness he had in the earlier days as he tried to sing right at the top of his range.

• Like 2

I always wing it...though as it's been in the set for years I have no idea what 'version' we do...probably our own take by now 😁

Looks like the only Whitesnake songs on our YouTube are Ready & Willing and All Your Love Tonight...and listening back again to the original my winging is nowt like it 

Edited by WalMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, WalMan said:

I always wing it...though as it's been in the set for years I have no idea what 'version' we do...probably our own take by now 😁

Looks like the only Whitesnake songs on our YouTube are Ready & Willing and All Your Love Tonight...and listening back again to the original my winging is nowt like it 

If the audience enjoy it and your having fun playing it then its the right version. :drinks:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

We used to play this and as I am the singist as well as the basser, I find sometimes I have to simplify the part in order to sing over it. No one notices apart from rivet counters and you want to do your version of the song anyway. obviously if the bass line is a very noticeable part of the song I would do  it exact or play it  as close as possible and of course I would always try to learn parts properly but sometimes we worry way too much about being so spot on. I bet Neil Murray didn't always play the bass line the same way every time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ubit said:

We used to play this and as I am the singist as well as the basser, I find sometimes I have to simplify the part in order to sing over it. No one notices apart from rivet counters and you want to do your version of the song anyway. obviously if the bass line is a very noticeable part of the song I would do  it exact or play it  as close as possible and of course I would always try to learn parts properly but sometimes we worry way too much about being so spot on. I bet Neil Murray didn't always play the bass line the same way every time.

Well, agreed, it doesn't have to be a straight copy and fills and trills are certainly as required and when the band is playing it like there is a bus to catch some of those have to go, as long as the core is there, like the run down on the line 'fool for your loving' which i have heard reduced to a note on fool and a note on loving

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ubit said:

Think Neil commented on BC before about it and don't quote me but i'm sure he said he tried to maintain the original album version but he ad-libbed a lot of the fills.

Dave

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The problem with this thread is it's tempting me to suggest the song...

Do it - I was ‘nudged’ to be singist nil playing for a gig - Stone the crows, as an average singer it’s hard, but I would like to give it the balls with bass as well - can’t say I did it any favours - glad it wasn’t recorded

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Do it - I was ‘nudged’ to be singist nil playing for a gig - Stone the crows, as an average singer it’s hard, but I would like to give it the balls with bass as well - can’t say I did it any favours - glad it wasn’t recorded

You do need a half decent singer to even attempt quite a few Whitesnake songs. Something that old Coverversion is finding out as he gets older and his voice is starting to go... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Here's the link to original post with few comments from Neil himself.

Makes for an interesting read again

Oh God. You've created an infinite loop.

Let's hope this doesn't happen in the DoI thread, the universe could collapse.

• Haha 1