Why become a member? ×

Fool for your Loving - Whitesnake - Help

steantval

This is now on our list of new songs its a monster baseline which I want to get right as much as possible but is going to take some work.  There are a couple of decent YouTube videos. I'll check the one posted here as well. Wish me luck! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’ll give him a shout. I know he has seen this thread, so I’ll ask him to check back in.

I know it's a little off topic but if you do speak to Troy then thank him for his slowed down play along of The Who's 'The Real Me', it helped me massively when learning that song a few months ago 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mep said:

This is now on our list of new songs its a monster baseline which I want to get right as much as possible but is going to take some work.  There are a couple of decent YouTube videos. I'll check the one posted here as well. Wish me luck! 

If you can copy Troy's clip then you are there. I used to have the music sheet or bass tab and i'll have a look. It helped me when i was learning it about 5 or 6 yrs ago

Dave

On 15/04/2019 at 16:02, neilmurraybass said:

For some time I've been planning to do 'play along' YouTube videos where I do the bass lines that were on the original tracks, starting with Whitesnake, and that's getting a lot closer to coming to fruition. HOWEVER, it seems that Universal Music Group, who own the rights to Whitesnake songs, are the most notorious company for either getting videos taken down or not permitting anything to be earned from them (ad revenue etc), so I'm now debating whether it's workable, or else find a different way of doing it. As far as I know, they use an algorithm which compares the video's audio with tracks in their database, so theoretically if one changes the speed or the key (not very helpful) it might be possible to get round that. 

On a related matter, a US journalist did a very accurate transcription of the live Fool For Your Loving from Live In The Heart Of The City, and had it accepted, along with an article that I was interviewed for, by US Bass Player magazine. Then the publishers refused to give permission for the transcription to be used, even though I came up with the bass part, not the composers of the song. That was that, then this year the idea was submitted to UK Bass Magazine (who now own Bass Player), but just with short extracts instead of the whole transcription. The extracts were too similar to what I actually played, so now the article might come out, but with no transcribed parts at all, which is a bit pointless.

That is a great shame as I would love to see exactly that video on YouTube. I do hope you manage to find a way round it and, of course, I would be very interested in subscribing to any YT channel you do manage to put up, as I imagine many bass players my age who grew up with your playing would.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, peteb said:

That is a great shame as I would love to see exactly that video on YouTube. I do hope you manage to find a way round it and, of course, I would be very interested in subscribing to any YT channel you do manage to put up, as I imagine many bass players my age who grew up with your playing would.

Yep i'd be up for that too. My 2 bigest influences on how i play were Neil and Jack Bruce. Loved the Cozy Powell albums they both took part in.

I do have a YouTube channel, though there's very little on it - nothing so far of my playing (just tried to insert a link to it but Basschat didn't appear to allow that) - look for neilmurraybass, or put Neil Murray in the search bar and scroll down until you find me, ignoring the other Neil Murrays!

Shooting my own videos, as with recording at home, is not something I'm very comfortable with - would much prefer to play with others, with a great engineer and cameraman looking after the technical side of things. Not that I can't do it, it's just a lot more clinical and unstimulating.

Requests for particular songs or aspects you'd like to be covered will hopefully spur met on to actually do it!

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, neilmurraybass said:

I do have a YouTube channel, though there's very little on it - nothing so far of my playing (just tried to insert a link to it but Basschat didn't appear to allow that) - look for neilmurraybass, or put Neil Murray in the search bar and scroll down until you find me, ignoring the other Neil Murrays!

Shooting my own videos, as with recording at home, is not something I'm very comfortable with - would much prefer to play with others, with a great engineer and cameraman looking after the technical side of things. Not that I can't do it, it's just a lot more clinical and unstimulating.

Requests for particular songs or aspects you'd like to be covered will hopefully spur met on to actually do it!

The live version of Ain't No Love would be an obvious one - another stellar bass part and hopefully no copyright issues...

10 hours ago, neilmurraybass said:

Will definitely subscribing to your channel Neil

On 12/04/2019 at 00:50, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

@neilmurraybass - I thought this might interest you. Troy is very well regarded in respect of the authenticity of his covers and he also raises some interesting questions in respect of how the original version was recorded.

A very faithful rendition, in many ways - perhaps 95% correct. It would be almost impossible for me to play the song all the way through exactly the same as the original, partly because I've played it so often since then, and although I stick closely to the album version, I improvise a little. So well done Troy! I have previously recorded the bass line on its own, sticking almost 100% to the recorded version, but that required many drop-ins! Any video would require the same technique, though obviously I could do slowed-down passages too. He uses all four fingers, whereas I mostly use three, bringing in the little finger only when necessary. This is because I play hard, often with heavy or stiff strings - a compromise between ease off playing and the tone needed to cut through two guitars, keyboards & drums.

Having read some of the comments under his video, some are good, but some are the typical American obnoxious haters who are intent on slagging anything and everyone, usually from a position of ignorance, which is another reason why I've been slow to put videos up on there. Bah!

Edited by neilmurraybass
Additional information
  • Like 8

55 minutes ago, neilmurraybass said:

A very faithful rendition, in many ways - perhaps 95% correct. It would be almost impossible for me to play the song all the way through exactly the same as the original, partly because I've played it so often since then, and although I stick closely to the album version, I improvise a little. So well done Troy! I have previously recorded the bass line on its own, sticking almost 100% to the recorded version, but that required many drop-ins! Any video would require the same technique, though obviously I could do slowed-down passages too. He uses all four fingers, whereas I mostly use three, bringing in the little finger only when necessary. This is because I play hard, often with heavy or stiff strings - a compromise between ease off playing and the tone needed to cut through two guitars, keyboards & drums.

Having read some of the comments under his video, some are good, but some are the typical American obnoxious haters who are intent on slagging anything and everyone, usually from a position of ignorance, which is another reason why I've been slow to put videos up on there. Bah!

But you're a legend in bass. Surely no-one can say anything negative especially when you are helping others learn some very difficult basslines. I wouldn't let them put you off. Think most players have such a high regard for you even those that aren't into rock music regard you as one of the best bassists ever.

I certainly haven't seen a bad word against you Neil. All positive and high praise.

Ignore the idiots and please the fans. :D

Dave 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neilmurraybass said:

The trouble is that when someone like yourself posts -  a player of talent and skill, who has been there, played with well known names, toured the world and recorded albums of music that people have actually enjoyed.. it makes a lot of halfwit trolls realise how bad their miserable lives actually are.

• Like 1

Reading this thread has really taken me back.  I remember seeing Whitesnake at the Hammersmith Odeon as was in about 1980/81, I guess.  Neil Murray - you were definitely on bass.  What a band!  The only album I now own though is 'Live...In the Heart if the City'.  One of the very best live albums - right up there with 'Live and Dangerous' in my book.  And the live version of 'Fool For Your Lovin''!  I doff my cap to you, Mr Murray - what a player!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Resurrection time - having to learn this for my current band, monster bass-line, respect @neilmurraybass I suspect this one`s gonna take me some time!

Are you doing the original (Neil Murray) bassline?

If you are going to attempt Murray's version, the secret (for me anyway) was to make sure that the drummer holds back a little. If he speeds up (as many semi-pro drummers have a habit of doing), then it gets very easy for you to struggle to get all the parts of the bassline in before you're onto the next section...! 

• Like 1

It can be simplified to some extent whilst still retaining the character of the song, just take it slowly. Verse, bridge/prechorus, chorus. There are some subtle variations going on but no one is likely to pull you up about it after a gig, unless Neil himself happens to be in the pub.

• Like 1

Even Neil admits it was ad-lib on many occasions altho i think he tried to emulate the original as much as possible. Saw a live version on youtube with Neil playing it with his Kramer and the tone was to die for plus he was really on his game that day. Looked like an open air festival gig as it was daylight or early evening maybe.

Never managed to find it again.

Dave

59 minutes ago, KevB said:

It can be simplified to some extent whilst still retaining the character of the song, just take it slowly. Verse, bridge/prechorus, chorus. There are some subtle variations going on but no one is likely to pull you up about it after a gig, unless Neil himself happens to be in the pub.

Or me...! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3