Why become a member? ×

Fool for your Loving - Whitesnake - Help

steantval

17 hours ago, Chrizjb said:

Pleased I’m not the only one to have issues with this track, love the input from so many inc the man himself, oh well, best I keep trying

Welcome to Basschat. I'm pleased someone resurrected this thread. Quite enjoyed the spat and then Neil Murray wading in, what a bonus. Particularly enjoyed his comment about not being able to do all the fills if it was played too fast.

FWIW I struggled with this. In the end nailing the chord changes and not worrying about the fills unlocked the song for me. Once that was done you can add in your own fills as it all moves into muscle memory and you can start to relax. It was forced on me by a guitarist who never did nail the solo but I'm grateful as it made me improve the approach I take to learning new songs.

• Like 1

I remember learning this song when i first heard it and hadn't played it for many yrs. 6 yrs ago i was asked to do it again and while learning it from manuscript i was sent from someone on BC and by ear i actually cam across Neil doing a live festival type gig using his Kramer bass, The tone was so sharp and clear it was easy to pick out the bass part and you could hear the ad-lib. That was a better version than the album for me.

The start of that song when the bass kicks in is instantly recognisable. An absolute classic song.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I always look back at Whitesnake with such mixed feelings - They were such a great - different - band when they started, smokey blues rock with a hint of soul and such musical depth with Murray, Marsden, Lord and Moody then they just turned into this generic american see how fast you can play it rubbish with Vandenberg and Vai - all inside a few years. 

I saw them on the Slide it In tour and they were superb (despite everything that was happening in the background) - saw them on the 1987 tour and I don't think I've ever been more disappointed - all the soul sucked out and just frizzy hair and arpeggios left.

FFYL when you listen to the two versions sums this up better than anything.

• Like 3

I purchased a Steinberger bass off Neil a wee while ago and happened to mention FFYL as a particularly interesting line. He couldn't have been more helpful in clarifying it for me.

It surely goes down as one of the most fun and fluid lines your average bass player in your average pub covers band can play. It flows beautifully.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

@neilmurraybass - I thought this might interest you. Troy is very well regarded in respect of the authenticity of his covers and he also raises some interesting questions in respect of how the original version was recorded.

Excellent cover been working on this in the past but not in the same league....I should give up lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

No, please don’t. The beauty of FFYL and songs like it is that you can take as much or as little away from it as you need to. Troy is an extremely gifted player, but I think he would be the first to admit that this wasn’t an easy song to transcribe, least of all play. If I had to gig FFYL, I would keep chipping away at it learning the fills and build it up over time 👍

Aye it's a monster bassline I keep plugging away got bits off quite well.....pre-chorus and chorus i need to nail better but a work in progress, heard several local bands cover this and although played reasonably well not heard anyone come close to Neil Murrays epic bassline, he is one of my favourite bassists so melodic yet powerful too.

• Like 1

Actually listening to that I don't think the version I do with current band is as far off as I thought and with some of the fiddlier fills I miss I'm often doing keyboard bits on the McMillan 12 step anyway so that's always going to be a compromise. I'll see if I can incorprate more of that line though whenever I get time to sit down with it properly.

14 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

@neilmurraybass - I thought this might interest you. Troy is very well regarded in respect of the authenticity of his covers and he also raises some interesting questions in respect of how the original version was recorded.

Well that's proof alone that rock bass playing is not a refuge for failed guitarists...

• Like 2

For some time I've been planning to do 'play along' YouTube videos where I do the bass lines that were on the original tracks, starting with Whitesnake, and that's getting a lot closer to coming to fruition. HOWEVER, it seems that Universal Music Group, who own the rights to Whitesnake songs, are the most notorious company for either getting videos taken down or not permitting anything to be earned from them (ad revenue etc), so I'm now debating whether it's workable, or else find a different way of doing it. As far as I know, they use an algorithm which compares the video's audio with tracks in their database, so theoretically if one changes the speed or the key (not very helpful) it might be possible to get round that. 

On a related matter, a US journalist did a very accurate transcription of the live Fool For Your Loving from Live In The Heart Of The City, and had it accepted, along with an article that I was interviewed for, by US Bass Player magazine. Then the publishers refused to give permission for the transcription to be used, even though I came up with the bass part, not the composers of the song. That was that, then this year the idea was submitted to UK Bass Magazine (who now own Bass Player), but just with short extracts instead of the whole transcription. The extracts were too similar to what I actually played, so now the article might come out, but with no transcribed parts at all, which is a bit pointless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

That must be really frustrating for any famous bass player who has written a great bassline and can't actually use it. I'm assuming you were part of the band and not just a session guy so should have the same rights to use the bass part in question.

Dave

Increasingly I see that instead of taking these videos down, You Tube are licensing the content.

We have to either watch ads (I completely blank them out TBH) or susbcribe and that partly funds YT licensing the content.

I work in publishing a lot so I'm quite keen to see copyrighted material licensed.

If you view Troy's video on you Tube and click 'see more' you get the information below. Neil may eventually get a tiny amount of performer's royalties (I hope!) but unfortunately no writer's royalty 😞

Morally no different to your pub venue paying PRS to cover the songs performed by cover bands.

Music in this video

Learn more

Listen ad-free with YouTube Premium

Song

Artist

Writers

David Coverdale, Micky Moody, Bernie Marsden

Licensed to YouTube by

WMG; UBEM, EMI Music Publishing, LatinAutor, Warner Chappell, LatinAutor - Warner Chappell, PEDL, ASCAP, LatinAutor - SonyATV, and 4 Music Rights Societies