Why become a member? ×

Fool for your Loving - Whitesnake - Help

steantval

I used to play this in a band many years ago and the current band I play want to do it.

We are doing the earlier recorded version (in G)and not the overly produced later version with synth's etc.

I am having a real mental block with sorting out some of the basslines as I cannot seem to remember all of them.

I have resorted to finding some tab but most of them are not very accurate.

I know most of it but the bit I'm really stuck on is the really nice little bass runs behind the following vocal lines -

I'll be a fool for ya loving no more, I'll be a fool for ya loving no more, I'm so tired of trying I almost end up crying, I'll be a fool for ya loving no more.

Can anyone help me please?

Off the top of my head I think it is (broken into phrases over chord)
Eb-D-C-Bb. F-D-Bb-G (both descend from first note of each group of 4) Can't remember g run. Something up the pentatonic to octave. (This bit twice)

Eb_D-C-Bb. F-E-Eb-D. C-Bb-A-G-A-Bb-C then pentatonic fills over the C then D. I think they are different each time.

Sorry for the bizarre nature of how this is written. Would be easier on manuscript.

Hope it helps.

I have a guitarpro file for it which sounds pretty accurate to me. I used it to learn it for a covers band I was in several years ago and no one thought it wasn't right so can't be far off. if you have software that can read the file drop me a PM and I'll email you the file.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1381739676' post='2242894']I have a guitarpro file for it which sounds pretty accurate to me. I used it to learn it for a covers band I was in several years ago and no one thought it wasn't right so can't be far off. if you have software that can read the file drop me a PM and I'll email you the file.[/quote]

Ditto, probably the same file (if it's a .gp3 that has 'Purple Rainbows' and 'Bb-Dur' in the Score Info), & it's certainly close enough for Licensed Premises

[quote name='xzodar' timestamp='1381758897' post='2243212']
If the above doesn't download correctly then please feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Pete[/quote]

I tried that & got a font substitution warning when I opened it - 'Cannot find or create the font 'Opus'...' - with the result that the pdf was very hard to decipher. Guitar Pro does this too, as it uses a proprietary font for the notation & won't permit pdf embedding… result, gibberish! [size=2](Also, yours is for the reworked widdly metal version in A.)[/size]

OP, try this old-fashioned paper one: [url="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8453031/FFYL.pdf"]https://dl.dropboxus...453031/FFYL.pdf[/url]

& the Guit Pro file if it's of any use: [url="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8453031/fool_for_your_loving.gp3"]https://dl.dropboxus...your_loving.gp3[/url]

If you haven't got GuitarPro, hunt down a copy of TuxGuitar. It's free & can open most GP files up to version 5.

P.

Some advice -- as long as you try to figure out basslines and make and read tabs, you'll struggle for the rest of your life. What you need to do is understand what chords you're playing over and the notes within those chords and how they correspond to each other. In other words -- basic theory.

Learn the modes. Play them up and down and backwards and sideways. Play some jazz standards and walk over the changes. Once you get good at that, you can rip through a song like that Whitesnake tune without even thinking. He's just playing basic busy rock runs over the chords. If you know the chords, it's childsplay. If you try to memorize the runs, it's calculus.

Edited by Lowender
  • Like 2

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1381794587' post='2243981']
Some advice -- as long as you try to figure out basslines and make and read tabs, you'll struggle for the rest of your life. What you need to do is understand what chords you're playing over and the notes within those chords and how they correspond to each other. In other words -- basic theory.

Learn the modes. Play them up and down and backwards and sideways. Play some jazz standards and walk over the changes. Once you get good at that, you can rip through a song like that Whitesnake tune without even thinking. He's just playing basic busy rock runs over the chords. If you know the chords, it's childsplay. If you try to memorize the runs, it's calculus.
[/quote]

There you go OP. Just learn all that for your next rehearsal and you won't need to ask us about individual songs again! :)

• Haha 2

He's just playing basic busy rock runs over the chords. If you know the chords, it's childsplay.[/quote]

Then do you mind posting your own youtube video of the bassline, as it is so easy? There are plenty of inaccurate ones, and some of us (the ones without your knowledge of theory) have been waiting for the definitive version for years! :rolleyes:

[/quote]

some people can memorize long intricate lines easily and struggle with chords patterns and keys and scales while others find scales and keys easy but struggle to memorize solo lines note for note

might be calculus to you but not necessarily to others

Some advice ---- basic theory.

you can rip through a song... without even thinking. He's just playing basic busy rock runs, it's childsplay. [/quote]

Could you be just a teensy-weensy bit more patronising? :D

• Haha 1

Some advice -- as long as you try to figure out basslines and make and read tabs, you'll struggle for the rest of your life.
[/quote]

What's "figure out basslines" got to do with "make and read tabs"? The former is one of the most valuable listening skills things you can acquire - I hear something, can I play it? If you can then write it down (in standard notation in preference tabs), so much the better.

I'm looking forward to your FFYL off the cuff video as well!

[/quote]
Understanding modes is one thing - learning a songbook of jazz standards in order to play Whitesnake covers is possibly a tad excessive...!

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1381840679' post='2244365']
Geezus, can anyone take some helpful information without getting their panties in a twist and looking for ways to make a snotty comment?
[/quote]

Kind of depends what the "helpful information" is and how it is phrased. Also, does it actually help with the question that the OP is specifically asking?

Your advice in this thread, good though it undoubtedly is, does not help someone who maybe has a couple of days to master the bass line on a cover version. And some of your own wording comes across as a bit "snotty" too (IMO).

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1381841403' post='2244380']
Kind of depends what the "helpful information" is and how it is phrased. Also, does it actually help with the question that the OP is specifically asking?

Your advice in this thread, good though it undoubtedly is, does not help someone who maybe has a couple of days to master the bass line on a cover version. And some of your own wording comes across as a bit "snotty" too (IMO).
[/quote]

Unlike YOUR comments? lol Please. My comments weren't about learning jazz to play Whitesnake or something being calculus or taking a course in theory by the weekend. Those are all conflating arguments to dismiss what is intended as helpful information.

As for the OP's request, it STILL would help if he learned the chords. Yes, by the weekend. That would get him through the song better and at least be able to play proper fills, even if they aren't exactly what's on the record.

Instead of looking for arguments and clever retorts, how about addressing the points? In the long run, learning modes will save hundreds of hours of confusion and open up all sorts of possibilities and it doesn't require years of university training. it's basic education.

And yes, I could play that song. Big woop. Would posting a version of it really change your mind? Come on.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1381844678' post='2244443']
And yes, I could play that song. Big woop. Would posting a version of it really change your mind? Come on.
[/quote]

Change my mind about what? :huh: It might be useful to the OP though, as he was asking for advice about how to play the song.

You really do like arguing, don't you? :blink:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1381846498' post='2244478']
Change my mind about what? :huh: It might be useful to the OP though, as he was asking for advice about how to play the song.

You really do like arguing, don't you? :blink:
[/quote]

I love people who twist words, antagonize and goad then blame the person they direct it toward for arguing! Well done mate!

Edited by Lowender

Blimey, It's handbags at dawn here, I only asked for a bit of help with an old Whitesnake song.

I cannot seem to download any of the links, Adobe is not letting it through, thanks all the same.

I'm going around the guitarist house tomorrow and we can work it out using the special software on his computer slowing the runs down note for note but keeping it in pitch.

How close do you need to get the runs? Stay in key and get a reasonable approximation IMV. I had a quick bash through this afternoon and whilst I couldn't replicate the runs note for note I could pretty much hit the main notes and play a fill in key. The guy in the you tube vid above would be worth following.