Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie worth the premium price tag ?

Stealth

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1381585974' post='2241010']
....Looking for nice slightly gritty Rock bass tone are Mesa really that good to cost a wad ?....
[/quote]

I'd suggest Boogie 210 and 115 cabs (with EV speakers if you can find them) and an Ampeg SVT3 PRO.

I used that rig for nearly 10 years. The cabs are heavy, as loud as you like and sound great.

IMO, you won't find better.

The old Mesa stuff was great
The old EV loaded cabs and combos. I had a Buster 200 210 combo, heavy but fabulous.

I dont think the current crop is worth the full rrp.ve
Very well made but they are trying to maker their hybrid amps sound like valve amps and they just dont pull it off which leaves the sound somewhere between modern hi fi an valve warmth.

I have owned 2 Impulse amps and sold both as despite the huge eq sectioin I couldnt get away from that fat warm tone. I wanted a cleaner, more neutral sound which they couldnt deliver.

My only issue with boogie is that they are only really expensive outside the US. TI once asked them why and they quoted EU safety regulations and different voltage requirements as the answer but its just price loading.

So I dont think they are worth the full rrp but they are a really well made amp if the sound is what you are after

I have used a 400 at my friends studio plenty of times. Awesome amp. He has had it for well over 15yrs and has had constant use. Other than replacing the tubes (to be expected) it hasn't skipped a heart beat. There has been a few guys offer him good money for it, but won't let it go. Sound incredible through my EBS Proline 410.

I have a MB M6 Carbine and that is more what you're after I think. The 400+ amps are defo really clean amps and don't grit up easily, if at all. I had one for a number of years so know the beast well.
There is a fellow BC'er selling a M6 Carbine for a stonking price on here at the moment that would be worth checking out...

Carbine gives great rock tone IMV. I'm not over sold on the other heads but its purely due to price. I think you can get close to the quality for less. If money's no issue then that becomes a moot point. The cabs however are great IMV. Yep they're uber heavy but beautifully made and will handle pretty much anything you throw at them without breaking stride. I've dismantled and rebuilt a road ready cab in the past and it was like a tank. There's a reason the cabs are expensive. Don't let the fact that Macca uses them put you off ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1382020879' post='2246771']
I have a Mesa Bass Buster - 1 x 15 combo- valve 200 watts. No kidding as loud as my old Hartke LH1000- but sounds lovely. Best amp I have had- Ive had loads. Bought it for £800 from this very forum. I don't use it at gigs though as it weighs as much as a car.
[/quote] there's a 210 buster combo for sale near me, looks great to me and was tempted till I looked up the weight! Flip its heavy! How do you manage even thinking about gigging it?

I love my Walkabout, but not sure I would get one at current price levels. I got the 1x15 combo when it was in £1300 territory, now it seems to be £1500 just for the head! Prices have gone up for everything though over the years, so its not just a Mesa thing. The Walkabout is a very gritty head, it sounds more like a conventional valve amp (grit) than my all valve Trace V6. Most of this is down to headroom, or lackthereof.

I am going to go out on a limb and state that I think that the new Prodigy and Strategy amps are pretty ugly cosmetically. They no doubt sound awesome however. I would probably still wait about for a 400+ or get a second hand Big Block.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1383393057' post='2263951']
I am going to go out on a limb and state that I think that the new Prodigy and Strategy amps are pretty ugly cosmetically. They no doubt sound awesome however. I would probably still wait about for a 400+ or get a second hand Big Block.
[/quote]

I agree. Too much bling, not enough class.

• 2 months later...

Ive been playing Mesa mainly for the last 10years or so, they're bomb proof and I've only had one problem with an amp that was easily fixed.
I think that like a new car they're over priced new, but you can pick-up some good value heads on here.
The Big Block 750 is a great amp, easy to dial in and loud as my sister is wide (very).
I use a powerhouse 4x10 and its tight and punchy, fits in the boot of my vw golf with the seats-up, a bit weighty but i don't mind as its not awkward to move.
Again you can get a PH cab on here for £400-500, the larger cabs due to their size seem to be even better value if you can deal with the weight\size.

I was never that big a fan of Mesa back in the old country, but since I've come down here I've become a bit of a convert from the Ampeg stuff! (Mind you, I'm just waiting till I get my gear shipped, then I'll have it ALL MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Seriously though, I've got an MPulse 600 and PH 8x10 which I picked up for an insanely low price - well trade ([i]I got very lucky![/i])!!!
This is my main rig and it is glorious!!! :wub: Don't be fooled by its clean and sexy, modern lines and alluring finish - it's not made of aluminum, spiders webs and helium - It is in fact a horrible and merciless b*stard to shift! However, when in situ and going, it does in fact [s]move air[/s], nay - move mountains, part seas and generally produces a very pleasant bass sound that both flaps me trousers AND makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Since getting my grubby mitts on this weapon of mass seduction, I've had the matching 2x10 cab and also bought a Scout Radiator 15 and both of those cabs are ace too.
I'm now keen on something Mesa AND a bit more full of magic glass bottles, but having tried the Prodigy and not falling in love at first sound, I fear I am doomed to roam the earth in a state of 'meh'. Wouldn't mind a Buster head or perhaps a D -180 (something with a bit of throat!)

To answer the original question though: Not sure about the new prices but there are some great S/H deals to be had, especially round these here parts (BC Marketplace) :)

Just my two pence - or $20 NZD or whatever the exchange rate is...

Edited by basshead56

id love to use some mesa gear, but when you put it up against say orange or ampeg especially orange you can grab there top of the line head ad200b and an 810obc for around 2500 if you looked around new and about nearly 4000 for the the mesa 810 and 750 big block which i dnt think is there main head for bass.

i must admit they look amazing and im sure are bullet prof but the money the go for is a tad out of hand

andy

Definately not.
They make great amps, but are quite tailored to rock, build quality is excellent and they are reliable.
However the only reason that they cost so much is that of all brands they seem to get bombarded with added charges and costs once they ship outside the US.
If a certain Mesa head costs $1000 rrp in the states then you can expect to pay twice that here.
There is no good explanation as to why this happens to them more so than other brands such as Genz Benz or SWR but this price loading is what raises their price tag, nothing else!
They are defo worth the money at their normal US selling price but not the price over here IMO

• 1 year later...

Just got a 2nd hand Messa Boogie powerhouse 2x10 from my local Music shop . £300 ! ( old version 600w ) Used it Sat night with my Ampeg 115 , and a Ampeg pf800 head
The Messa Boogie 2x10 is louder and more defined than the Ampeg 115 !
I was so impressed that I searched the internet , and found a B stock one ( some marks on top , scratch on grill ) at £350 , including delivery ( will be here Tuesday )
Will used both on Thu nights gig .
They are a bit heavy , but so what , worth it for the sound IMHO.
Pete

There's always such a focus on cost with Mesa gear.
You almost have to put that aside and live with the amp/cab to really find out. What I can say is they are really well made in that 10% better quality 50% more cost way.
My M3 Carbine is actually very uncommon, probably due to perceived high cost but sounds great once you spend time playing it know how to use it.I've never tried a Walkabout but it really appeals.

Well my so called "B" stock 2x10 powerhouse arrived yesterday afternoon . Dont know whats going on , but this is one of the New Version ( 400w , tri-port with different speakers , and a different layout on the back , and a finer grade of covering with no castors , just rubber feet )
Its brand new , no marks anywhere !
Compared the New to the Old , I cannot tell the difference in sound or weight .
Went back on to the web page ( Bax-shop ) , and all it said was that the model I ordered is obsolete ,
But they were still selling a few "B" stock ( £377) when I looked through their site
I`m not complaining as I have a new cab ( with cover ) for a stupidly cheap price .
Cant wait for tomorrow nights gig , Santa has come early ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Pete

Edited by petetexas

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a Bigblock on here for about £700 3 or 4 years ago. It has completely cured my amp GAS. Perfect rock tone to my ears and INSANELY loud. Like I cant explain how loud. With a BF Super15 and set at volume level: #1 it's "can you turn the bass down a bit" loud :D

It's great stuff, but the price does make me wince.

One of the daftest things I ever did - back in the days before kids when I had a few quid rattling around my pockets - was buy a brand-new MESA M-Pulse 600.

How I cried when I decided to move it on, and took a severe financial beating.

Anyway, they deserve their great reputation even if it's been tarnished a bit by reports of flaky Prodigies and Strategies. And if I'm honest, I'm a little bit disappointed they've make the move into 'generic class-D head' territory. I liked it when they were a bit more unique.

But they'll sell millions of 'em.