Why become a member? ×

Pinker and Prouder than Previous

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1381556798' post='2240590']
I didn't notice those, I was blinded by the sheer pinkness of it.

I wonder what the owner was using as a strap. A piece of old rope?
[/quote]
I saw a Bass Player last week with those on his Bass, and he was using a laptop bag strap, with the clips on the ends. I didn't bother asking him why.....

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1381514329' post='2240217']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfield-Bass-Guitar-/121192529699?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c37a33f23"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c37a33f23[/url]

Now, that's what I call pink.
[/quote]

Really?

IMO this is pinker...

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1381664284' post='2241911']
The Westfield Ps are not bad for the money, and not as loud as the Dean.
[/quote]

I'm a Jazz Bass kinda guy otherwise I might have tried one, £104 delivered that is cheap!

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1381754053' post='2243131']
I had one of these for a while! Bought on here as a project, ended up selling to a lad up in Wigan. Looked great once I'd stuck some block markers and (airfix paint) fretboard binding on it! [attachment=146077:IMG_0410.JPG]
[/quote]
Bought from me, IIRC :)

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1381727554' post='2242818']
Is this demo of the Westfield B1000 not suffering from a fair amount of fret buzz?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UNfi8233G4[/media]
[/quote]

I can't say I heard much fretbuzz, to be honest.
In any case, that would only relate to the particular setup of an individual instrument...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1381799945' post='2244001']
I can't say I heard much fretbuzz, to be honest.
In any case, that would only relate to the particular setup of an individual instrument...
[/quote]

I think there's something there, though I'm now wondering what. When I listen to the youtube video I hear some metallic sounds in addition to the actual sound of the notes, e.g. between 0:50 and 1:04 on the video. If those sounds aren't fret buzz, what are they?

It could be setup, and/or playing style if the player isn't fretting the notes well. But I hear something.

Similar rattling sounds here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCTXsAibLak[/media]

E.g. from about 2:00 on for a bit.

Though, when I've researched rattle, the advice has always been to clean up playing style, rather than look at the setup of the bass. This youtube video sounds atypical of a p-bass to me. Not the more aggressive 'London Calling' sound more typical of p-bass demos. Though, I prefer the sound this guy gets to the stereotype.

Edited by Annoying Twit

indeed it buzzes!
I listened through my laptop speakers before and the sound is so bad and trebly that it disguised it entirely :lol:

However the point I was making is that one cannot generalise "oh, the Westfield in the demo buzzed... Westfields buzz".
You probably didn't mean it that way, but all too frequently people (generally but not always young and inexperienced) try a particular budget instrument, find it to be horribly set up (high action, or whatever) and then they just proclaim "Squier Affinities are sh*te" etc.
There are people who can only afford said Squier, or Westfield (I remember those days myself!) and if they give up on these instruments because of those comments... well, it's a real shame.

In my experience, Westfield basses (tried a Precision, and I own a Jazz) are pretty cool. No, they are not the best ever, but they're made well enough, and do the job. I gigged my Jazz and it actually appears on a DVD!!! (my band got into the "bonus features" of the reissue a very bad 70s "cult horror" movie, playing the theme song in our style :lol:)
I am currently using as my number one bass... a Korean Squier Jazz. Plywood body... but a delicious neck. Go figure!!! Ok, to be honest, I replaced pickups and it sports a J-Retro preamp... but "structurally" is stock.

Anyway, sorry for the derail, I just feel like defending cheaper instruments sometimes :)

Here's the same player playing a Vintage (brand) p-bass. Exactly the same buzzing sound.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU9MmVveFhU[/media]

I wasn't meaning to criticise cheaper instruments. I would like to be one of those people who can take a cheaper instrument that has sufficiently good quality ingredients and refine it into something quite decent. But, it's to be expected that the cheaper instruments will have variable setup quality, as something has to give to get the price down.

I've always thought that a reasonable buying strategy might be to buy cheap basses being sold by technically skilled bassists (perhaps their backup bass or something - or perhaps they jumped on the Sue Ryder bandwagon). As any foibles such as poorly cut nuts are likely to have been solved some time ago.

Edited by Annoying Twit