Why become a member? ×

Fretless fretboard replacement

Chrishas

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into replacing the fretboard from my trashy 6-string fretless and wanted to ask for an opinion first. The reason I want to replace the fretboard is because it's uneven and also because it's rosewood. Of course this is also for fun and a learning experience as this was a really cheap bass I got off an auction on ebay. In addition I may try to replace or fix the truss rod because the sides are damaged and allen keys won't "grab" onto it.

First of all I googled for fretboards and at first glance there weren't any which is logical since it's not very common to replace one. This lead me to the thought of asking a luthier to build one but I'm worried about the cost of an ebony fretboard for a 6 string and also is the procedure for a fretless the same as a fretted one? Thanks in advance.

Chris.

I'd guess that having a 6-string fretboard made wouldn't be vastly more expensive than a 4-string. Time/Labour is probably a major contributor to the overall cost.

My Electric upright has a Macassar Ebony fingerboard, and I think it's a big part of the tone and feel of the instrument. IF the bass is worth it, don't rule out ebony. It looks nice, feels and sounds great, and is extremely hard-wearing.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

This thread is relevant to my interests...

I have a 5 string Bass, though the fretboard is actually quite narrow (43mm at the nut and 65mm at t'other end), and I was thinking of making it my next project, once I've finished my current one. I would like to remove the fretboard and replace it with a fretless ebanol one. It's a very cheap Bass so I don't want to spend a lot on it. How difficult would it be to actually do?

Thanks for all the info and the link, they're very helpful. Another option which popped up when researching this is the type of wood. Obviously ebony was the first option but then I found out about bloodwood as well and from what I gather it is a great option for fretless and it looks great due to its reddish color. Has anyone here tried it and how would you compare it to ebony?