Why become a member? ×

Do I want to sell my Bergs and go Barefaced?

fretmeister

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1381604764' post='2241379']
If you're happy with the sound why change just to go lighter ?

Use your ears and don't be a sheep.
[/quote]

For some, like me, weight is a big factor.
Obviously, if it sounds like crap then it's not doing what I need the cab to do, I might as well buy a bag of cotton, which is even cheaper :P But I do like what my BF Compact sounds like. Is it the best sounding cab I've heard? Probably not. But it is not bad at all either! It works well in my current set up, it's loud when I need it to be, and it's extremely light which is the main reason I would buy it again.

I'm sick and tired of carrying equipment from place to place. The BF Compact and a MarkBass CMD121P combo have sorted that out for me and sounds good enough to me.

Different people, different priorities, I suppose. Although I don't feel I'm really compromising much.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1381660301' post='2241832']
I think part of the problem BF faces with their cabs is the fact that they use 9mm ply - it just looks flimsy, no matter how well it is braced internally. Marshall uses 18mm ply on their 4x12's and still double up the thickness at the front edge of their cabs. It says 'massively tough', even though it's there just for cosmetic purposes and doesn't add to the overall strength of the cab.

As for the finish, it certainly isn't the best looking cab I've seen but a painted finish is pretty much standard on PA cabs and I don't think I've heard too many people complain about the looks. Perhaps it's the actual paint used? Would people prefer a smoother paint or more matt/satin finish?

As far as the tone of the cabs, this is really just a 'people like different sounds' shock horror story. It's as ridiculous to expect that everyone should like what they hear as it is to state that they sound crap. It's all opinion based and there is no right or wrong to the matter.
[/quote]

9mm ply... Yes, it looks less sturdy than other cabs. But we don't really hear of people having issues of fragility with the cab itself, so I think it's safe to assume that it's robust enough. Since it's one way BF manages to considerably reduce weight... I'm all up for it.

I'm not a big fan of the painted finish either. But not so much for the looks, but because it gives little friction. I used to put my MarkBass combo on top... but it would slide easily if someone leaned on it expecting a solid rig. A couple of near misses made me get two mousemats, glue them together rubber side out, and I put that in between the BF and the combo, so now the combo does not move.

You nailed it about the tone: different people, different tastes, different priorities. That's why there are so many successful companies around making superficially similar items, from cars to juicers to amplifiers. It's ridiculous to argue that if someone does not like what I like, *they* must somehow be wrong :lol:

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1381604764' post='2241379']
If you're happy with the sound why change just to go lighter?
[/quote]

Weight is a big issue for me, too. If you don't have the luxury of crew then hauling even a 410 gets old [i]really[/i] quick. So if you're going to make the change to lightweight cabs then you may as well go for the lightest cabs available. And it just so happens that some of the lightest cabs available also sound much better than the competition (in my opinion).

Times change. I hauled an 810 and/or two 410s at one time and thought nothing of it. Not now.

Does anyone remember when cars didn't have power steering as standard? Everyone had muscles! :lol: [size=4]I drove my dad's elderly 1982 Ford Sierra last year (manual steering) and could hardly turn the wheel! [/size][size=4]Technology is turning us into weaklings![/size]

Edited by discreet

I have a heavy rig and a lighter rig... I generally find out about the load-in before I choose which one to take.
The one I am most keen to take is about 70lbs plus for the cab..altho it has wheels, plus another 60lbs per cab x2 if I want to go silly.
The amp must be close to 60lbs. I am not keen to twist that lot anywhere and everywhere but it is worth taking to most
so I put up with the load. We carry subs on the gig I'll take my heavy rig to... so a 2 man lift for the heavy stuff and that is it.
I have a bad back but I manage it...

I consider it worth it...others may not.

My light rig is no 2, but the spec is good... I love playing rig no 1...that is why it is rig no 1.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381832878' post='2244232']

Does anyone remember when cars didn't have power steering as standard? Everyone had muscles! :lol: [size=4]I drove my dad's elderly 1982 Ford Sierra last year (manual steering) and could hardly turn the wheel! [/size][size=4]Technology is turning us into weaklings![/size]
[/quote]
As a long term addict of rusty terrible cars what we have done is forgot how to drive! Dry steering wasn't done before because you couldn't unless you were a beefcake, we learnt how to only steer with the car in motion be it forwards or backwards, my Morris 1000 has lighter steering than the wifes Focus Zetec too :)

Anyway back OT.......