Why become a member? ×

Fender bassman 59 Reissue as dirty amp?

adz

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has tried one of these on bass?

As a guitar amp it obviously wont handle the bottom end but I would be looking at using it as a dirty amp. Ive got a big ol' orange 8x10 and ad200b i would use as a clean and split the signal and send my effects, to the bassman.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Personally I wouldn't do it - those have alnico Jensen speakers in an open back cab, which IMHO really really won't work well for bass, dirty or not (sounds lovely for guitar tho), you'll just end up blowing them.

Maybe get a Bassman head, and use it with a more bass-appropriate cab? Or a Traynor, or an Ampeg V4b, or a Marshall super-bass, or ... there are loads of 50-100w heads you could choose I guess.

Not a '59 Reissue, though on the band's last album I did record through an original early '60s Bassman.

(Now correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the original Bassmans (Bassmen?) designed for bass? Don't know about the later reissues.)

This old Bassman, into its original 2x12, sounded wonderful - delightfully dirty. Probably wouldn't have had enough bottom end for louder, more modern setups, but I would have thought your Orange, running clean, would take care of that bit. Like I say, don't know how the '59 RI would cope in comparison, but perhaps 6v6 has the right idea.