Why become a member? ×

Fender MP Starcaster Semi-Hollow Bass

Musicman20

I've just recently tried a Starcaster in Newcastle.

Super super impressed. Perfect QC, very pretty binding. Heavier than they look, but I mean that as in it weighs like a normal sized light P bass. Substantial feel.

Very jazz-growl like with both pups, the bridge pup bites and snarls, the neck pup goes from clear warm tones to very very fat bassy tones. We are talking huge fat lows from the neck pup, should you want it.

The neck is great, access to fretboard is great, it LOOKS great.

The only thing they should do is upgrade the tuners...but other than that...super cool bass.

This was the cherry burst.

Now I want one.

For the record, the fit/finish was actually perfect. Better than a lot of the recent MIA P/J basses I've tried.

Some nice pics from the USA:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCBassMACB/

I can't fault the finish on my Coronado, if the Starcaster is in the same mold it will be excellent. I think they've got the same tuners. They do feel a bit thin with sharp edges, but they're OK. At least the Starcaster has not got the 'oriible pg, although they share the same knobs that I'm junking. The Starcaster has the front strap button in a sensible place on the top horn. It's tight against the neck heel on the Coro and I can't understand why they couldn't put it in the same place.

Despite the fact that I can think of umpteen reasons why these basses are not my "thing ", I am beginning to think that I really want one. Thanks for that ,Gareth :lol: . Especially because they are short scale , I think one of these could be a lot of fun for using on the sofa in front of the T.V whilst I entertain Mrs Dingus by playing along with the theme music to all her favorite shows . She loves that .

These look great in a retro, indie band kind of a fashion and I can imagine myself growing a beard to complete the look ( and becoming even more irresistable to women in the process) . I think Fender will sell truckloads of these , given the current trend in basses towards vintage sounds and styling , and good luck to them .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1381085445' post='2234238']
Without seeing one in the flesh, what is the black decoration at the bottom of the headstock? Just black paint under the varnish or an additional piece of wood? Hard to tell in the photos.
[/quote]

Black paint under varnish from what I can tell.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1381158599' post='2235136']
Despite the fact that I can think of umpteen reasons why these basses are not my "thing ", I am beginning to think that I really want one. Thanks for that ,Gareth :lol: . Especially because they are short scale , I think one of these could be a lot of fun for using on the sofa in front of the T.V whilst I entertain Mrs Dingus by playing along with the theme music to all her favorite shows . She loves that .

These look great in a retro, indie band kind of a fashion and I can imagine myself growing a beard to complete the look ( and becoming even more irresistable to women in the process) . I think Fender will sell truckloads of these , given the current trend in basses towards vintage sounds and styling , and good luck to them .
[/quote]
Ay...I've just finally got my band sorted out. We are doing our own stuff, in the vein of The Smiths, Kasabian, Blur, Oasis, The Beatles, MIles Kane, Weller, that kinda mod/indie thing which I've wanted to do for over ten years but never found the right guitarist.

Now I've got it sorted I'm tempted to get one of these.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1381161920' post='2235195']
Black paint under varnish from what I can tell.
[/quote]
It may be black paint, but it's on a carved-away portion of the headstock, a little like the contouring on a Firebird headstock. Google for some images from different angles and you'll see what I mean.

Edit: like this one: http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2750/patental6.gif

Edited by mart

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1381168392' post='2235339']
It may be black paint, but it's on a carved-away portion of the headstock, a little like the contouring on a Firebird headstock. Google for some images from different angles and you'll see what I mean.

Edit: like this one: [url="http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2750/patental6.gif"]http://img406.images...0/patental6.gif[/url]
[/quote]

I don't think it is you know. When I saw one the other day It was just painted on the headstock. Might be wrong tho, But I'm sure it was

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1381169248' post='2235357']
I don't think it is you know. When I saw one the other day It was just painted on the headstock. Might be wrong tho, But I'm sure it was
[/quote]
I've not seen one in the flesh, so I could be wrong; it may be something they've changed from the originals, so as to save costs. But the Fender site for the Modern Player version talks of the "distinctively curvaceous" headstock, and at least one of the photos it shows seems to clearly show the German carve that the originals used to have.

And the video review of it that Nevada put up on YouTube shows the headstock quite clearly and ... it definitely has a slight carve. :)

Edited by mart

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1381172145' post='2235407']
I've not seen one in the flesh, so I could be wrong; it may be something they've changed from the originals, so as to save costs. But the Fender site for the Modern Player version talks of the "distinctively curvaceous" headstock, and at least one of the photos it shows seems to clearly show the German carve that the originals used to have.
[/quote]

I had a look at the one in Wunjo, but I was so enamored with the Coronado my focus was else where. They're lovely tho, and do have a certain something. The lads in the shop reckon they won't be around long, and the next batch is not due till the NY.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1381186529' post='2235686']
Not Scotland - Aberdeen - people are allowed to speak ill of their hometown in a jokey way, no? :)
[/quote]

Of course, my friend , just don't let Alex Salmond catch you or he will have the Secret Police round your house looking for revenge after Independance :) .

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1381169248' post='2235357']

[/quote]
[quote name='mart' timestamp='1381172145' post='2235407']

And the video review of it that Nevada put up on YouTube shows the headstock quite clearly and ... it definitely has a slight carve. :)
[/quote]

I was wrong. Was back in Wunjo and the head-stock is definitely carved (ran my fingers over and everything). Apologies for any offence caused, but it is hard to tell 'cos it's all black, like!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1381620740' post='2241605']

I was wrong. Was back in Wunjo and the head-stock is definitely carved (ran my fingers over and everything). Apologies for any offence caused, but it is hard to tell 'cos it's all black, like!
[/quote]
:) No probs mate!