Why become a member? ×

Medium sized cars for double basses

SevenSeas

Hey everyone,

I'm hiring a hire car but I was wondering out of interest which was better for transporting a double bass? (2 people) so could (and will) put seats down in the back.

Possibly a VW Golf or a Opel Astra?

(Or anyone got any other ideas, medium cars are better rather then massive cars but which ever can fit a double bass in comfortably.)

I'm in a hired Astra at the minute and its fine with the bass in. I have the neck come through between the front seats, just needs a little adjustment to how you change gears. But that gives you the front seats with plenty of room.

If I had a choice I wouldn't hire an Astra anyway for non-bass reasons, so I'd go for the Golf of the two (which would also be fine on the same basis as above).

Or an estate if you don't want to have the neck poking through...

I have an estate now, which makes things easy, but for years I travelled up and down the UK in a Fiat Panda. Granted, it was only me, bass and wee amp. Even the overnight bags had to be very small...The process of watching me fitting the double bass back in the car was more successful with the punters than me playing the gig!

Isnt the latest Golf a bit smaller than the last one too? I can put the scroll on the armrest and the bass does not protrude anywhere near the handbrake or gear stick which is handy, I had a MKV Golf before the Focus (58 reg) and the Focus is alot bigger inside.

Just had a look the MK2 Focus is nearly a foot longer than a MK5 Golf.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1380999332' post='2233304']
I find an estate easier for loading a bass plus you can slide the cab/amp/why in easily. Focus estate very good although I have a German these days.
[/quote]
But is it worth the extra cost if hiring one? Long term hire contact i agree but our local hertz etc would not have one to hand like a golf focus Astra etc hatch so i presume you would pay more?

[quote name='SevenSeas' timestamp='1381012208' post='2233494']
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestion. The reason I want to keep the size of the car slightly smaller is because of petrol costs and the bigger the car the bigger the charge on the ferry.

Cheers,
[/quote]
Could you ask a neighbour or friend with a Corsa or Fiesta sized car for a trial run in theirs then just to see? The only trouble I can see with a size lower is that these new cars (which they will be on hire) is that they are smaller inside than the previous models even if they are larger outside! The fiesta my sister had was smaller inside than my old 1983 MK1 version! Something like the new Kia C'eed might be good and diesel consumption will be good too. :)

Most cars which can have the front seat laid flat - bass (on its side - bridge facing the gear stick), scroll pointing towards the parcel shelf. Seat belt around the bass = job done. Passenger can sit behind you. Boot free for: amp / stool / food / drink

I learnt this from my first car - well my dad's anyway - a saloon Triumph Aclaim (auto, beige seats, sick green outside). Still practice said position in all subsequent cars! I like having my bass laying next to me - we have a little chat on the way to gigs!

Edited by five-string.co.uk

All sorted, a bit of a nightmare because I had to find a dealer which was open Sundays. (Devon is pretty useless in terms of choice)

Anyway brought my bass to the car hire and the one model we tried fitted perfectly, double bass on its side. (So don't have to worry about that)

I will be sitting next to the bass behind the driver which is actually quite comforting, ironically it turned to be a Honda Jazz!

• 2 weeks later...