Why become a member? ×

Cleaning exposed poles on Fender Jazz Pickup

guyl

Dusted off my unloved Fender Jazz recently. (unloved by the prev owner - not me!!)

It's got a touch of rust creeping in on the body screws and pickup poles. Does anyone have any good tips for sorting this?

Obviously the screws can be replaced cheaply, but it's the pickup that worries me!

Cheers

It won't do any harm but if you don't like the look you could try rubbing it down with something.

Probably easier if you can remove the pickup cover first (to avoid scratching the plastic).

I would try "Brasso" (can you still buy that ?) or "T-Cut" on a cloth first. If that doesn't work then gently rubbing with fine sandpaper should remove any surface rust.

[quote name='BOD2' post='222704' date='Jun 20 2008, 10:13 AM']It won't do any harm but if you don't like the look you could try rubbing it down with something.

Probably easier if you can remove the pickup cover first (to avoid scratching the plastic).

I would try "Brasso" (can you still buy that ?) or "T-Cut" on a cloth first. If that doesn't work then gently rubbing with fine sandpaper should remove any surface rust.[/quote]

I've always used foil and oil to get rid of light rust, I think it would work on a pickup, but careful where the oil goes!
i just spray a little WD40 onto a piece of tinfoil, and rub it on the metal, it usually does the trick

I use a piece of fine wet and dry paper. A great tip for preventing this happening again is to dab the pole pieces with a drop of clear nail varnish. It has no detrimental effect on the pickups and stops them rusting

[quote name='Muppet' post='223446' date='Jun 21 2008, 10:01 AM']I use a piece of fine wet and dry paper. A great tip for preventing this happening again is to dab the pole pieces with a drop of clear nail varnish. It has no detrimental effect on the pickups and stops them rusting[/quote]

+1 for clear nail varnish. Or Black for that [i]Stealth[/i] look!
I used Brasso on a cotton bud. It's quite precise and forgiving on plastic...

[quote name='ahpook' post='223483' date='Jun 21 2008, 11:18 AM']looks like i'll be cleaning the pole pieces on my cowpoke tonight !

thanks for the advice peeps :)[/quote]

Rather than a sheet of wet and dry I use disposable (not metal) nail files for intricate work. They are solid , cheap, come in various grades (including non abrasive buffers)
I drive my beloved mad by using hers if I run out !!!