Why become a member? ×

Fender Aerodyne Jazz.....any good?

Talon

Due to health issues I'm having to look for a lighter Bass and I've been offered an Aerodyne Jazz in virtually new condition for £360.

Is that a good deal before I go ahead? Looking around the forum they seem to be a bit chalk and cheese but I do like the look of them.

Anyone got (or had) one of these and could offer an opinion?

regards

Mick

Take it. They`re good basses at £300 more than that. £360 for one of these is virtually bargain of the year.

The only slight downsides are no fret markers on the fretboard (if getting the all black one). The finish on the all black one shows up every paw-print so if you like pristine clean basses it will drive you mad, and lastly the regular problem with most PJ basses, the J pickup hums. But get a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack which is hum-cancelling and that problem has gone.

Duff McKagan of Guns N Roses/Velvet Revolver uses one of these for an idea of the tone you can get from them, as well as the obvious Precision tones.

I've got one and I love it to bits. At that price, if you don't want it, I'll have it and put it next to the other one.

Just to be aware, there are 2 versions. The non-export versions (mine) have the traditional metal Jazz control plate, knobs and jack socket, scratchguard, and come in lots of lovely colours (mine is gunmetal blue). The export versions have the knobs mounted through the body and a Strat type embedded socket, and are black. Make any difference? I doubt it, just another useless bit of Basschat trivia for you.

BTW - as the body top is curved, the bridge is slightly recessed into it, so if you want to swap it out for another make, there may be some delicate chiselling involved :o

Get one - you won't regret it - and if you do, I'll give you £350 for it :D

Edited by davehux

Thanks for the replies Guys...at that price I just had to buy it.
It appears to be an early export model...black, knobs through the body but a normal jack socket mounted at the front and it says crafted in Japan by the serial number.

It needs a good set up and clean as it's been stuck under a bed for years and there doesn't appear to be a blemish on it.

I'm well chuffed :D