Why become a member? ×

S.compact arrived today, 3rd Gen Barefaced. UPDATE: After rehearsals, OP updated.

Prime_BASS

I will gig the Super 12 tomorrow, I have tried both with my Shuttle 9.2 now and obviously the Super Compact does not have the fullness or power (8 ohms + 500 watts) to match the Super 12 (4 ohms + 900 watts) , I am planning on getting either another Super Compact or Super Midget and then selling the Super 12 so I have a modular rig .
I am a bit of a worrier with my gear, dont like to risk anything with it :unsure: , here is a pic

I can see your point Chris, my original thoughts were;

I carry full PA,stands,monitors etc as well as my bass gear, two small 8 ohm cabs are easier to pack in my car for gigs (one on front seat) and would sound just as good as my Super 12, as most people, my amount of gear is getting bigger so space is at a premium, its a struggle with the S12, I am also suffering a post xmas GAS attack and I like the generation 3 Barefaced cabs, a matching pair would be great, I appreciate your thought though :)

I've just measured the dimensions of a currently unused cupboard in our new house and I think a Super Compact would just fit inside.
I wonder if I can use the out of sight argument to sell the idea to the wife of upgrading my Gen 1 Compact to a shiny new Super version.........

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1390066544' post='2341142']
I've just measured the dimensions of a currently unused cupboard in our new house and I think a Super Compact would just fit inside.
I wonder if I can use the out of sight argument to sell the idea to the wife of upgrading my Gen 1 Compact to a shiny new Super version.........
[/quote]

If it's out of sight, she'll never know ...
;-)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1390066946' post='2341152']

If it's out of sight, she'll never know ...
;-)
[/quote]

You make a compelling point, lol.

Could someone who has a Super Compact do me a favour and measure all the dimensions including the feet and handle please? If you have a Roqsolid on it, all the better. Thanks very much.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1390205745' post='2342478']
Thanks for that, measuring again it's going to be slightly too big for the cupboard, so no point in spending money.

The wife does seem quite receptive to the idea to a smaller cab though.
[/quote]

Looks like you better get a super midget instead.

Cheers

Thebassman

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1390205745' post='2342478']
measuring again it's going to be slightly too big for the cupboard, so no point in spending money.
[/quote]

Sorry mate, but I really hate this type of negativistic fatalism. Just saw off the sides! Plus the back if you need to!
For once, the wife is positive, fer cryin' out loud!
:P

I can see where you are going wrong Graham, you are involving your wife in your bass plans, these two things are best kept apart, the only thing that dictates what I buy is my bank balance :) the bassman is right, get a super midget but buy it because YOU want it not the ball and chain ;) :)

PS, I am at the age where I dont really care if the `love tap` is turned off, after 20 years of marriage bass is more enjoyable anyway :unsure: :)

Enjoying the responses here guys :-D

I'm currently rocking a Gen 1 Compact that I like the sound of, I think a Super Compact would suit me better, but I'd have to borrow money to buy one. When you deduct the value of my Gen 1 that I could sell once the Super version arrives would make it affordable.

My current cab is residing in the bottom of the airing cupboard to keep it out of the childrens way, it will be moving into the bedroom at some point, but we've only been in the house two weeks so need to make some more space in the bedroom.

I had considered "enlarging" the cupboard, but as it's a rented house it's more surgery than I'd be comfortable with, lol.

I like the idea of the improved tone and reduced footprint of the new version but can't justify to myself spending money to achieve those things when there's nothing actually wrong with what I've got :-)

I may start saving the money I would have spent on repayments each month though and see where that takes me.

I gave the super compact its first rehearsal this eveing, we are a rock/pop covers trio, not hugely loud but loud enough,

My amp was a GB Shuttle 9.2, bass a Fender pawn shop Mustang with vol and tone controls maxed, my settings were as below;

Gain 2 o clock
Volume 11 o clock
Low 2 o clock
Mid 3 o clock
Mid freq 2 o clock
Treble 12 o clock
Master volume 12 o clock

The tone was amazing,very clear note definition and fullness, we were in a large office and the sound was very full, the only surprise to me was that my amp was peaking and the input O/D light flashing, we were not playing that loud and the drummer was using an electronic drum kit, I came down a bit on the low and gain but turned up the Volume and master to match previous level and the peaking was reduced, I am glad I did not gig this set up as the venue was pretty large and I would have had the amp constantly peaking to be loud enough, I used my Super 12T for the gig and was loud enough but the amp still peaked intermittently, I have never had my Streamliner 900 peak at any time so is this a trait of the Shuttle 9.2 ? I dont think it is as powerful as the streamliner ?
I have ordered another super compact to make a nice matching pair, I love the sound of it so more of the same will perfect .

Graham, I believe the peaking is fine on the shuttles and is a sign they are going into their power management mode. I think there's something in the manual on it but when I had mine I recall it was nothing to worry about and quite normal. I don't have experience with the streamliner though.

Merton, lovely stuff! Looking forward to it!!! :D

I will check it out,thank you `salt on your bass` nice user name :) the streamliner is a monster of an amp, it has never got close to peaking, the bass is huge on it, so much that I dont have it set more than 10 o clock on the knob, if I used the same low setting as on the Shuttle it would cause severe hearing damage, I do prefer the mid frequency selection on the Shuttle as the Streamliner only has a choice of 3 frequencies whereas as you know the Shuttle is very versatile with its parametric set up, I love both amps, I am a bit cautious about running the amp when peaking as I have read so many posts about amps packing up when driven at that level, the amp was nowhere near its limit when peaking,but just remembed this thread is about the super compact so a 10/10 for me and cant wait to get the other one, very pleased :)

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1389901114' post='2339408']
not to be a basher, but surely for there is a tiny placebo effect happening here? ie i doubt that a 112 cab no matter how good should be anywhere near an 810?

not tried a bf cab and i do want to and they look good, and its cool so many people are happy with them.

andy
[/quote]
Just saw this as I've been floating around rather than posting.
I've had it even longer now and still feel no real need (want us another matter) to get another or something else, ticks every box for me, still.
Hopefully I can elaborate more clearly about comparing it to the 8x10 pictured and many others I've tried.
It is silly to even expect to get the same low end result from the barefaced super compact compared to something so big but I can still say after many gigs, and rehearsals and now recording with the cab too that it (to me at least) keeps up with and will surpass them in clear and clean midrange. And the guitarist still complains it's too loud FFS.

I'm positive that if I was running a better 8x10 with a better power amp it would be louder and probably just as clear as the S.Compact but for as loud as I NEED to go the S.Comoact does the job really well.

I did have a moment over low end at our last rehearsal before recording but I put it down to not playing with my setup properly for around 4 weeks. The band I use a jazz bass with the neck pickup turned down a bit, the past month I'd been using a P bass and my headphones, so it took me a while to get used to the sound again.
That's it.

I would urge anyone yo atlesst try it. It's no miracle I know. But as above for as loud as I need to go its great.