Why become a member? ×

S.compact arrived today, 3rd Gen Barefaced. UPDATE: After rehearsals, OP updated.

Prime_BASS

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1380886183' post='2231892']
See, this kinda stuff doesn't interest me. I decide if I like something by how it sounds when I play my amp through it.

I would say that, in your average pub or club, as a cab, there is probably nothing better than a Barefaced Compact. Loud, deep, light - WIN. Perfect.

There is no need for a 4 x 10 or an 8 x 10 etc in those situations.

I really don't care about the technical aspects. It is easily loud enough, with headroom to spare, and sounds great. I think it really is that simple.

[size=2]PS: However, I do respect the fact that you are interested in such things, so please don't regard this post as derogatory in any way. Each to his own.[/size]
[/quote]

To be honest I'm not that interested - despite how it appears. I have a rig I love the sound of and I've had plenty of bass players/soundmen tell me it's the best bass sound they've heard. It's flightcased and heavy so the idea of a lightweight rig is appealling but it's got to overcome the inertia of 25 years hearing a sound I like.

Barefaced offer a refund policy but that means forking out and buying blind (and waiting). If I am to make that jump then I want to understand why it might be the equal (or better) of what I already have. In the absence of any aural evidence all I have to go on is the theory.

Maybe one day there'll be a mighty 2x5" with enough excursion to render a 2x15" obsolete. That's the inference but it's turning a lifetime of understanding on its head.

I had the privilege of trying an [i]early[/i] version of the new Super Compact
with my Walkabout and compared to my Wizzy 12.
the speaker knocked the Wizzy sideways and I know Alex has since improved the cab.
Its on the list for Xmas.
Nodd

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1380894826' post='2232073']
You need to get to a Bass Bash.

There were a load of BF cabs of all generations at the SE one, including a new Big Twin, and that is a stunning sounding thing, and has enough headproom to knock down planets....
[/quote]

Yeah. That's a good idea.

I have to admit it was a leap of faith to order my Super Twin.... And I am longingly awaiting its arrival.

The science behind them is fascinating, but I was very much in a cavewoman type logic of "Me want noisy, Me beat guitarist"

I have been repeatedly assured that I will not be disappointed.... I can't wait to confirm of deny this!

My Super Twin remains ungigged. I am starting to wonder if the thing is cursed. First gig was the day after collecting it, and the drummer had to divert to hospital on his way to the gig due to a neck injury, as we played a very quiet drumless gig. Second gig was last night, at a very poorly run benefit do which we were supposed to be headlining, but incompetent organization meant we were squeezed out by a combination of too many bands booked and poor time keeping by the organizers.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1381092415' post='2234348']
I think I want a Big Baby 2.
[/quote]

+1. Along with my Terror Bass I think I could get shot of everything else I have, rig-wise. I feel my credit card getting itchy again...

• 2 weeks later...

I just took the plunge and ordered a super compact, see how I like it then may sell the Super 12T to fund another, or a super midget - ahh decisions decisions, the only downside as I see it is that my Streamliner 900 will `only` put out 500 watts at the 8 ohms of the super compact :)

Edited by GRAHAM SG1

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' timestamp='1382034296' post='2247076']
...the only downside as I see it is that my Streamliner 900 will 'only' put out 500 watts at the 8 ohms of the super compact...
[/quote]

You are definitely going to be heard mate, don't worry about that! :)

I know :) I am heard ( quite a distance away :rolleyes: :) ) at the moment with a Super 12 T, I am intrigued by the new generation 3 BF cabs and cannot resist something new and shiny, its been a long time since I spent a proper amount of money on something good, I like the idea of having the choice of 1 or 2 smaller cabs depending on how much space I have in my car, a super compact stack is very appealing, or possibly better to have a super compact/super midget stack for more variation !

Edited by GRAHAM SG1

• 2 months later...

I got my new super compact yesterday, it took a while to get through the packaging, I have never known any other goods delivered in such a well protected way, full marks for that :)
I really like the look of this cab, very nicely finished with a lovely upgraded handle and grille which looks very nice and adds a look of quality .
I had a play last night in the house and was very pleased with the sound, nicely focused and articulate, as per my experience with my Super 12, I know it will open up as the speaker loosens, I have a gig this saturday but not sure whether to take this cab or my Super 12, we get LOUD so might wait until I have loosened it up a bit first before gigging it ?
Thanks Alex, I will hopefully be ordering either another super compact or a super midget in the near future :)

Proud to be a Barefaced fanboy :)

I have an SC in my possession at the mo, but it's not actually MINE because mine will be with vintage silver cloth grille. Gigged it a couple of weeks back, the rest of the band couldn't tell the difference sonically between it and my old Super 12 :)

Oh, I will actually be collecting TWO SCs when they're finished, whoop. That will destroy walls ;)

I am keen to gig it on saturday, logic tells me to run it in a bit more first in case I end up really cranking my Shuttle 9.2 up, I know the amp is 500 watts at 8 0hms so well within the cabs rating but even so, it will still be running pretty hard so caution does not do any harm, I dont want to risk damaging my new toy, probably being over cautious :) :rolleyes:
Barefaced cabs really look nice in silver cloth, my super twelve wears a silver shirt-love it B)

Edited by GRAHAM SG1

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1389901114' post='2339408']
not to be a basher, but surely for there is a tiny placebo effect happening here? ie i doubt that a 112 cab no matter how good should be anywhere near an 810?
[/quote]

Maybe the 8x10 is a particularly crap example of the 8x10 concept, and also bear in mind the comparison was centred around the tone of the cabs. The 1x12 is more focused in the mids due to a superior (probably!) design so the perceived superior volume is easy to understand in context :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1389903068' post='2339444']
Maybe the 8x10 is a particularly crap example of the 8x10 concept, and also bear in mind the comparison was centred around the tone of the cabs. The 1x12 is more focused in the mids due to a superior (probably!) design so the perceived superior volume is easy to understand in context :)
[/quote]

cant really compare the tones of an 810 to a 112 fairly though can you?

andy

All I'm saying is you questioned how a 1x12 could "beat" an 8x10 and suggested a placebo effect; I merely offered a reason as to why a 1x12 might be perceived to "beat" an 8x10 ;)

Edit: not sure I explained myself well in the first post on this matter :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1389905009' post='2339474']
All I'm saying is you questioned how a 1x12 could "beat" an 8x10 and suggested a placebo effect; I merely offered a reason as to why a 1x12 might be perceived to "beat" an 8x10 ;)

Edit: not sure I explained myself well in the first post on this matter :)
[/quote]

i get you dude its ok

andy