Why become a member? ×

S.compact arrived today, 3rd Gen Barefaced. UPDATE: After rehearsals, OP updated.

Prime_BASS

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1380746981' post='2230111']
You can tell your girlfriend that she is indeed very beautiful. She really is :D

However, speaking as a heterosexual, female bassist.... I'm more interested in the cab :P
[/quote]

Haha!
I will get a proper update tomorrow for sure. But all things are looking good at the minute. Very pleased, this 1x12 cab really is bigger in sound than what I was expecting at all, and my last cab was a stonking great 4x10

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1380746599' post='2230095']
Thanks for the nice comments guys, the girlfriend is an insecure one and she likes the positive reinforcement.
[/quote]
Sorry if my levity offended. Your girlfriend s is indeed a lovely lady, it was just a rather "surprising" photograph to unveil your new cab as the cab was hardly centre stage! No offence meant

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1380747326' post='2230122']

Sorry if my levity offended. Your girlfriend s is indeed a lovely lady, it was just a rather "surprising" photograph to unveil your new cab as the cab was hardly centre stage! No offence meant
[/quote]

All taken in jest friend ;-)

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1380749422' post='2230178']
A compact which is actually ...... compact. However, call me a philistine and technically out of touch, but I lament the passing of the 15" speaker.
[/quote]

That's kind'a how I'm feeling :/

I may well get one of these. A compact which is actually ...... compact. However, call me a philistine and technically out of touch, but I lament the passing of the 15" speaker.
[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised if Alex is contemplating a 15" version of his new proprietary driver as we speak. Single version will be called the Concussion. 2x15 version will be named the Apocalypse. :happy:

I may well get one of these. A compact which is actually ...... compact. However, call me a philistine and technically out of touch, but I lament the passing of the 15" speaker.
[/quote]

The original wasn't that big compared to every other 1x15 out there. This though, if you were never told of the speaker size, you'd think it was a much bigger cab.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1380833844' post='2231417']
Any ideas how it compares to the older 15" compact yet, sound wise? I loved my compact, and have been toying with getting another since I moved it on...
[/quote]

Sounds pretty much the same to my ears, I feel the attack of the notes and the punch are much better with this new one. If you got a super compact you won't miss the old compact any more.

I must confess that this is where I struggle. The argument goes that a smaller speaker can move the same amount of air as a larger one (if I understand it right) with the main difference being excursion.

Ok, so if the area of a circle (I know it's not a flat circle) is Pi r2 so that is either 36Pi or 52.25Pi. To accomodate the difference the excursion is longer which means the speaker is travelling further and taking longer to do it (surely).

I'm not disputing anything here - I haven't heard a BF cab as I have no access to any - but I'm a tad sceptical. I hope that's justification enough for some ;)

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1380876324' post='2231708']I must confess that this is where I struggle. The argument goes that a smaller speaker can move the same amount of air as a larger one (if I understand it right) with the main difference being excursion.

Ok, so if the area of a circle (I know it's not a flat circle) is Pi r2 so that is either 36Pi or 52.25Pi. To accomodate the difference the excursion is longer which means the speaker is travelling further and taking longer to do it (surely)[/quote]

Yes, the excursion is longer, so you're absolutely correct on that front. By the way, it is a flat circle - it's the projected area that matters, not the actual area of the tone. Where you're getting confused is regarding your "taking longer to do it"? query.

To generate sound requires a speaker produce a pressure change, so it isn't about the position of the speaker, it's about its rate of movement. To put it mathematically, if you have an equation stating the position of the cone with respect to time, then the SPL generated is proportional to the differential of this equation. The transient response which you're worrying about is the differential of this second equation. The time to get from A to B doesn't matter, the raw acceleration is what defines the transient response.

In developing this new 12" speaker we've actually improved the transient response vs its 15" predecessor - the main true reasons are the motor strength : cone mass ratio and the stiffness of the cone. There are also other things that improve the perceived transient response, the key one of them being improved dispersion so you hear more direct and less reflected sound.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1380876324' post='2231708']
I must confess that this is where I struggle. The argument goes that a smaller speaker can move the same amount of air as a larger one (if I understand it right) with the main difference being excursion.

Ok, so if the area of a circle (I know it's not a flat circle) is Pi r2 so that is either 36Pi or 52.25Pi. To accomodate the difference the excursion is longer which means the speaker is travelling further and taking longer to do it (surely).

I'm not disputing anything here - I haven't heard a BF cab as I have no access to any - but I'm a tad sceptical. I hope that's justification enough for some ;)
[/quote]

See, this kinda stuff doesn't interest me. I decide if I like something by how it sounds when I play my amp through it.

I would say that, in your average pub or club, as a cab, there is probably nothing better than a Barefaced Compact. Loud, deep, light - WIN. Perfect.

There is no need for a 4 x 10 or an 8 x 10 etc in those situations.

I really don't care about the technical aspects. It is easily loud enough, with headroom to spare, and sounds great. I think it really is that simple.

[size=2]PS: However, I do respect the fact that you are interested in such things, so please don't regard this post as derogatory in any way. Each to his own.[/size]

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1380886552' post='2231898']
...at some point in the future i was going to splurge and have two side by side.
[/quote]

Best to have one atop the other due to dispersion issues.
But I'm struggling to think of a situation where you would need two S15s. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1380889644' post='2231958']
Best to have one atop the other due to dispersion issues.
But I'm struggling to think of a situation where you would need two S15s. :)
[/quote]

I'd be scared of a two s15 vertical stack falling down on me.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1380886552' post='2231898']
my ONLY problem with the new barefaced cabs is that there doesn't seem to be anything the same dimensions as the super15...

at some point in the future i was going to splurge and have two side by side.
[/quote]

I'm sure there is still a 2x15 they make?
But if you need another super 15.... Then I'm afraid for the safety of the planet, isn't that how the start of Star Trek 2009 starts?