Why become a member? ×

S.compact arrived today, 3rd Gen Barefaced. UPDATE: After rehearsals, OP updated.

Prime_BASS

Took arrival of a few new things today, one being the Super Compact. First got wind of this from Alex best part of about 2 years ago, so when they were actually getting built I jumped at the chance.

Not had too much of a play yet but first impressions is that the neighbours hate me even more, MAHAHAHAHAHA.

[url="http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Horan/media/IMAG0286_zpse0d67c92.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Horan/media/IMAG0287_zps09b21274.jpg.html"][/url]

UPDATE!

So today we had rehearsals and I've been dying to really hear this cab! Long story short, the neighbours are mardy jobless poo bags that are in all day everyday, in bed by 8pm up by 6am type of people, so I'm hesitant on really cranking it, as even trying to play with input on volume on 12 and the gain adjusted to barely clip its quietiest is still louder than the tele(adjusting the input volume helps though but bass is meant to be loud.)

We rent a room in the city and its normally accompanied by some kind of cheap large heavy cab and amp, been using a Peavey TRX(???) 810 which is loud and full of low mids and lows, but absolutely no definition with out extreme Eq changes. Today I took the Super Compact and my genz head, and did a little A/B with the big heavy thing.

[URL=http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Horan/media/IMAG0294_zpsf39ac78a.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p703/Stephen_Horan/IMAG0294_zpsf39ac78a.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I will just say that the super compact is infact a 1x12 cab it's also very small and very light, ad today it was getting around 350 watts and the big one 600 watts.
You can see from the picture the size comparison.

This Super Compact is loud, there is no other words. For a single cab it doesn't have a natural big low end, but to remedy I boosted the bass to about 1 o clock at the most, and it filled the large room with ease. I know saying the master volume was at 12 is meaningless to a degree but on the 810 I had to have it pretty maxed (too maxed the clip light starts coming on a bit too much) to even get a similar perceived loudness.

Playng with a very loud drummer a loud vocal PA and a JCM900 into a 4x12, the tiny thing was punching way above its weight, I thought I'd struggle to hear it(it being so low on the floor that's why the amps head is off the 8x10) but I played the whole two hours like this and it was fine, I'm not even sure if the original Compact could of gotten that loud. It was audible around the mids to hear it through the mix and the lows wasn't overbearing like the 8x10 where my ears start getting tired after the first song.

After today I find it hard to believe that anyone could choose a 4x10(or even a 1x15 or 8x10) over this thing or even suggest that they 'need' something that large and heavy, these people are deluded. I think though if I was against another guitarist I could probably need another Super Compact or a Super Midget to get through the mix a bit more, or add a bit extra volume just incase I needed but as I understand I could probably pump even more watts into this and it will give me even more volume. Although I don't think I was pushing it hard at all. I don't even think any one, unless they were playing with 2 halfstacks and a bunch of other stuff or never played with a PA, would need any of the bigger barefaced cabs. With that 'wants' always override 'needs' haha.

The front grill looks a lot better than the past versions, a lot more professional and less of a 'handmade' effort, and the handles are still the plastic things they used to have but have added metal sections where the most wear and tear happens on the old ones, although to me I never understood the big deal with people issue with the old ones, just sceptics looking for something to moan about I think.

Mega mega pleased, I will try and write a proper review in the review section today or tomorrow. Can't believe how loud it is, really cant.

To compare I've had, gigged and played with; Barefaced Compact, Barefaced Midget, Barefaced Super Twelve T, Genz Benz 410Focus LT, Ampeg 806 HE, Markbass TRV210 x2, Ampeg 210 x2

Edited by Prime_BASS

Surely I can't be the only one who's wondering why the footstool is on the sofa? ;) or can I :P

Photo has a "FHM advert" feel to it, disappointed that there were less close ups on the cab..... Ah well I'll post pretty pictures of my super Twin when it comes, maybe with my hubby sat on it holding a bass....... There again :lol:

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1380745796' post='2230060']
Did you used to have a S12t? How's it compare?[/quote]

Yeah, and a 1st gen Compact and a 2nd gen, along with a midget.
I can't make any meaningful comments yet as I've barely played with it at any decent volume. Although it feels seriously loud for a 1 cab let alone a 1x12. Feels like the volume would keep coming if I had more watts, and I'm only pushing 350 into it and it's ridiculously loud.
Hopefully will get to hear it properly tomorrow after work so will report back.

Thanks for the nice comments guys, the girlfriend is an insecure one and she likes the positive reinforcement.

Will try and get some less 'fhm' pics up tomorrow too.