Why become a member? ×

Posture and intonation

ubassman

I am fascinated by this . I recently joined another orchestra and the conductor mentioned not to bother with bringing a stool to first rehearsal as theres one that 'resides' in the hall.

As soon as I sat down I realised everything felt strange and although the nut height was in it usual place the bass just felt wrong. In warm up my intonation was out in places particularly in lower positions till I shortened the end pin a bit from normal and pulled the bass more vertical .

I figured out that it was at a different angle of dangle than normal due to different height of the chair. With the adjustment no probs with intonation. Just made me realise the importance of the bass always being in exactly the same position as the muscles seem to know what to do if everything is the same every time one sits down with the instrument.

Perhaps one of these contraptions might help - anyone used one? ( ..perhaps I should play standing more often !!).

Actually the stool set to a height where I can play with both feet on flat on the ground so quite a bit lower than a bar stool for example. On some pieces I play with my foot on the foot rest - I have a K + M stool ...expensive but for me worth it ! Similar to this but with a back rest too.

I have used that exact stool in the past, particularly when I had a broken ankle. Stand exclusively now, motivated by walking/public transport to most of my gigs - too much stuff! I use the amp less and less for small group gigs as well.

Anyway, back on topic, was practicing the other day and accidentally didn't extend my endpin far enough. Everything felt really uncomfortable, and my intonation was atrocious. It was only a few inches out, but putting it back up felt like home again.

I also use a stool from the hall where we rehearse rather than lug mine about, and it does take a few mins to adjust. I reckon it's good to not become reliant on just one stool. Having said that, I change my posture/seating position during rehearsals anyway, 'cos 2.5hrs is too long to sit in one position for me! I reckon if you use the 'resident' stool at rehearsal every week you'll soon get used to it, though I must admit I always use my stool from home for concerts just to be on the safe side! Just out of interest, which orchestra have you joined?

I tried playing while sat on a tall-ish stool
but it did feel distinctly "odd"
I think my intonations were out too
Difficult to tell exactly, as I'm fairly new to DB (being a bass guitarist)

But I suppose it is a lot to do with muscle memory
and your posture probably will have some effect on that
particularly if you aren't as comfortable as usual...

Must try & play while sitting on a stool again sometime
I think I'd be more comfortable, long term...
Mind you, it'd be another thing to (a) sneak past the missus
and (B) cart around, and have to squeeze into the car! :o

[quote name='MandShef' timestamp='1380639739' post='2228288']
I also use a stool from the hall where we rehearse rather than lug mine about, and it does take a few mins to adjust. I reckon it's good to not become reliant on just one stool. Having said that, I change my posture/seating position during rehearsals anyway, 'cos 2.5hrs is too long to sit in one position for me! I reckon if you use the 'resident' stool at rehearsal every week you'll soon get used to it, though I must admit I always use my stool from home for concerts just to be on the safe side! Just out of interest, which orchestra have you joined?
[/quote]

I used to get numb-bum syndrome but the K + M Stool is great for those long haul rehearsals - especially with the back rest !

I think I will buy a strap and get used to the settings for different height stools.

New Orchestra is the [url="http://peakchamberorchestra.com"]Peak Chamber Orchestra[/url] - looking for a new leader in the violin section as the current one is off to live in France so if you know of anyone PM me !

It takes a huge amount of experimentation. If im playing solo stuff i like my bass a bit higher. If plain up orchestral and jazz i go for my standard height. If im ging to going up to thumb position a lot i'd prefer to have the instrument higher and concentrate on getting my hand right in lower positions.

Also i have little adjustments depending on what shoes/boots im wearing.