Why become a member? ×

bass guitar pickups

lazybones

[quote name='lazybones' timestamp='1380481198' post='2225984'] are all jazz picks the same
[/quote]

No. But then on some Jazz and jazz-type basses the relative volume of the A and D strings is less than that of the E and G...

And Fender make a number of necks with different fingerboard radii... which further complicates the matter! :blink:

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/support/articles/guitar-neck-radius/"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/support/articles/guitar-neck-radius/[/url]

Edited by Conan

My old jazz used to have raised poles, and The strings used to "clack" against them sometimes. I swapped them out in favour of Seymour Duncan quarter pounders, because the poles were recessed. Didn't think they sounded quite how I wanted, so I got some Dimarzio Ultra Jazz. Now they were AWESOME pickups! Hum cancelling too and no clacking on the strings.

Put some thick electrical insulation tape over them. It stops the nasty clacks and pops when the strings touch the pole pieces.

Also I would look at the overall pickup height, I find on J basses that unless you are plucking right over the neck pickup and ragging it the strings have a hard time touching the pickups at all. if they are set to fenders spec at least.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1380483206' post='2226019']
Put some thick electrical insulation tape over them. It stops the nasty clacks and pops when the strings touch the pole pieces.
[/quote]

Good tip. I'd forgotten about that. It has the added advantage of making them look (a bit) like EMGs!

[quote name='lazybones' timestamp='1380481198' post='2225984']
saw one in a shop today and the pickups were smooth and the strings keep catching on mine making a nasty scratchy noise are all jazz picks the same
[/quote]
I would suggest if you're hitting strings on pole pieces, that the pickups are probably way too high.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1380483810' post='2226037']

Good tip. I'd forgotten about that. It has the added advantage of making them look (a bit) like EMGs!
[/quote]

Used to do it with every bass when I played with fingers as I was going for that snappy pop noise that Doug John's gets on his pedulla.

Bad side is that people get a bit prissy about the tape she. It comes to moving it on.