Why become a member? ×

de afwerking mk5-4f - blablas does another build diary

blablas

A lot of people would like to see it... so here is the start of the diary for my next build.

The plan, a SG based bass:
- Fanned four string 32.5 to 34 inch scale
- Artec Sidewinder as bridge pickup and a Gibson copy (brand unknown) bridge pickup as the neck pickup
- Passive electronics (a first for me, all my builds have been active)
- Iroko top and back, Alder body core
- Set neck
- Neck might be: Maple, Wenge, Bubinga and or Zebrano, whatever I feel like when I start on it, I've got all these woods in house
- Indonesian Rosewood for the fingerboard
- Dual action truss rod
- Single string bridge parts
- Duesenberg tuners

I still need to order some parts, but I've already got most of them.

K9F4m4T.jpg

YtKzC0I.jpg
It's going to be the bottom fret layout.

I'm not going to begin building right away, I want some weeks without bass building first, I'll start on it when it starts itching again (3 weeks at the most :biggrin:)

Edited by blablas

Yes, up to now they have been personal builds, being a left handed player has always meant I would never be able to find what I wanted (for a price I could afford).
After having had enough of the stuff I could buy I decided to build the special ones myself, not unsuccessfully if I might say so. It has become a nice waste of time by itself. ;)

I also hope to keep it that way, it's just a hobby, i don't want it to be my work, I've already got a nice daytime job I like which pays the bills and finances my hobby's.

Edited by blablas

Glued together the separate halves of the three body layers and leveled them (no photo's, not that interesting).

Top/core/back glued together.

Before gluing I defined the size of the back cover and the positions of holes for the screws in it, then sawed it of and finished of its sides. After gluing together the body I drilled the holes in the cover and body.
Before gluing I also sawed of a (future) leftover piece from the side, this is going to be used as the top for the headstock.

Body ready to be sawed into shape.

Edited by blablas

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EGkGOSa.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/aP8O0rq.jpg[/IMG]
Rough shaped the chamfered edges on the top of the outside of the body, now I first need to finish of the outer body contour of the body before I will continue with these edges.

Edited by blablas

I couldn't resist the urge yesterday evening to roughly do the two final chamfered edges, I think the SG feeling is there, now I need to finish the outer body contour first before I continue with the edges on the back. Edited by blablas

The Iroko (top and back) cost me 15 euros, that's absolutely dirt cheap, it was just plain luck that I found it.

However, I think the price for a nice piece of wood is not really relevant, some pieces are expensive, some are cheap, you just need some luck and patience to come across a nice piece of wood, when you see something you really like buy it right away at whatever price, you will never find it again.