Why become a member? ×

Ampeg BA108 static buzzing noise

badboy1984

My amp sounds good, no speaker distortion etc but when I play some deep bass note on the E string their is some kind of static noise. Hard to describe the noise .....

It does this on low volume, high volume and bass EQ turn down as well. Most noticeable on my passive p bass with tone knob turn all the way down. On active bass is not too bad because the tone is not as deep as the p bass.

Any Ampeg BA108 owner have the same problem.

I know is £100 amp and it's already perform more then I expected from a 25watt amp. This is not a speaker farting or distort sound, is just some static buzz noise when playing low deep bass tone on mid to high volume.

On my active jazz and my 5 string acg is not too bad because I can always play near the bridge pickup for that low mid tone which I prefer, but on my precision bass it is very noticeable ......

Edited by badboy1984

Could it be something lose inside the amp? I might take a look tonight to see if any parts is lose. The speakers definite sounds fine without distortion. By the sound of the buzz it sounds like is coming from the back, AC or the preamp position. It only does it on low notes, so it leads me thinking the resonate of the note vibrate some parts inside that cause the buzz or component rattle.

I've took the grill off today and play the same note and the buzz is on, but i touch the speaker sponge stuff just outside gently and the buzz gone away. Only if i can add some kind of pressure between that and the grill then problem is sorted.

I've also take the treble down abit and bump up the mid a little and leave the bass eq flat and the buzz was gone, so i guess i can EQ the buzz away.

Buy some high quality wood glue and flood all the cab joints. Do one face at a time, let it dry, turn it, do the next one, etc (stops it dripping).

Buy some wadding / batting from a sewing shop and staple to the inside of the cab on back and sides.

Unscrew the speaker, use thin adhesive door insulation strip around the edge of the speaker hole, screw back in place.

It'll be rock solid and tight after this little lot! Worked a treat for mine after hours searching for solutions online.

Hope this helps.