Why become a member? ×

Any Bass Bloggers here?

bnt

This is Electro-Harmonix's new distortion pedal.

It's not a spoof: it's on their official website as a [url="http://www.ehx.com/2008/"]new product[/url] for 2008. Of course, you can guess where I read about it: on the [url="http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2008/06/electro-harmonix-makes-bass-blogger.html"]Music Thing[/url] Blog. :)

edit: they also have one called Bass Metaphors: distortion + compression + EQ with DI, in one box. What are they smoking over there, and can I have some?

Edited by bnt

[quote name='cheddatom' post='221297' date='Jun 18 2008, 12:18 PM']Why two outputs instead of a blend pot? It will annoy some and please others I guess.[/quote]

a buffered dry output is pretty handy for recording - saves a bit of messing around with more cables / boxes.

[quote name='rmorris' post='221312' date='Jun 18 2008, 12:35 PM']a buffered dry output is pretty handy for recording - saves a bit of messing around with more cables / boxes.[/quote]

Obviously. I would never record with just one pedal though, so a DI box for the desk, and a blend pot for the pedal to go through my amps would have been nice. I suppose I could just mix the two outputs with something else.

It looks like the switch changes from OD to Fuzz. I think building a footswitch in instead would be a good idea, but there might be a bit of a volume difference as there's only one set of controls. Anyway, the switch should make it more versatile than the bass muff no?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='221363' date='Jun 18 2008, 01:31 PM']Obviously. I would never record with just one pedal though, so a DI box for the desk, and a blend pot for the pedal to go through my amps would have been nice. I suppose I could just mix the two outputs with something else.[/quote]

Indeed - always good to be able to have blend control rather than needing external mixer etc where you'd rather not have to bother and want to keep the gear level / setup hassle down.
Would be good to have all options - pure effect / effect-dry blend / buffered dry signal.

But I guess it all comes down to cost / target price.
Blend / mix controls are not that easy to engineer - well they sort of are but it takes a fair few components to do it 'properly' - and if you want 'good' components then the cost can become significant when you consider that a raw component cost probably ends up at retail at something like x4 the cost to the manufacturer.