Why become a member? ×

Shuker Jazz IV - Fatstacks, LEDS...

Mike

Very interesting following this thread...

It reminded me of a time in my life when I thought that I had to have *exactly* what I wanted...

5 or 6 years ago I was riding Moto Guzzis (Italian motorcycles) and was dealing with a 'one man band with a big shed'.

We came up with custom solutions, ingenious and clever ways to make an old bike more functional and classy.

But he drove me completely nuts; no contact, broken promises, lateness, unreliability, continual bullsh*t of the first order...

The trouble was that this guy was hugely talented, prodigously knowledgeable and a creative engineer (a rare thing).

But I gave up in the end... the grief, the money, the stress... I bought a BMW R1100RS, it never went wrong, was totally great.

I still can't think of that guy without getting stressed, and I realised that you just don't need custom made stuff, just *good* stuff.

I'm not knocking custom bass builders per se, it's a free market afterall, but would you say a USA Fender Jazz actually *holds you back*?

Having to pay a £1000 deposit, sight unseen? Sounds crazy to me, but then I'm just more pragmatic than I ever was ;-)

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='34035' date='Jul 19 2007, 10:38 AM']Having to pay a £1000 deposit, sight unseen? Sounds crazy to me...[/quote]
I don't think any of us would send off a £1,000 deposit without first checking that the builder was reliable with a good reputation and many satisfied customers.

The rest is all down to taste. I didn't order a custom bass to get *exactly* what I wanted -- I just fancied something original and beautiful (to my eyes at least ... :) )

And say hello to West Bridgford for me -- I used to live just down the road from the Trent Bridge Inn as a student.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by misrule

[quote name='misrule' post='34060' date='Jul 19 2007, 11:37 AM']I don't think any of us would send off a £1,000 deposit without first checking that the builder was reliable with a good reputation and many satisfied customers.

The rest is all down to taste. I didn't order a custom bass to get *exactly* what I wanted -- I just fancied something original and beautiful (to my eyes at least ... :) )

And say hello to West Bridgford for me -- I used to live just down the road from the Trent Bridge Inn as a student.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Point taken ;-)

Maybe I was being a little sour... I guess there's room for everyones ideas of perfection.

The OP's reflections just brought a load of memories to the surface of 'one man bands'.

As to West Bridgford, I'll send your best regards! I often go to the the Test Match though.

Haven't ventured to the 'Inn yet...

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='34063' date='Jul 19 2007, 11:48 AM']Maybe I was being a little sour... I guess there's room for everyones ideas of perfection.[/quote]

I don't think you were being particularly sour, I actually agree with your post, there are some artists/craftsmen out there who really get so caught up in the work that they don't finish or complete projects well. The most obvious luthier example I've heard of is Ken Bebensee (spelling?) there is a 50 page thread on talkbass of how he had a customer waiting for over 4 years for a bass that when the customer decided to finally pull out, he rushed it in the last few months and still had a very unsatisfied customer. I suspect that these are the people who have turned a hobby/passion into a business but aren't very good at the customer/business side.

Fortunately those examples are few and far between, and there are many RIM, ACG, GB, Sei, Shuker, etc owners who are very happy. I'd still recommend meeting your luthier face to face before shelling out though.

Interesting points, chaps - I did start writing a lengthy reply with some thoughts, but somehow lost them...? So I shall spare you my meanderings!

It's a fair point, and I can quite easily get by with something like a Lakky 55-01 (obviously a very good bass in it's own right, and I can honestly say it's wasted on me, I'm not a particularly talented player in any way shape or form!!!) but it's nice to have a bass that I have a real emotional bond with that I've experienced with any of the other (numerous!) basses I've owned!

Anyway, back on topic, Mike: That's looking one super sexy bass! Some beautiful lines going on there!

All the best,

Rich

Let's get this thread back on track .....
Just got an email from Jon to say that my Nordy pickups are 3 weeks until eta, I'm guessing the same for you Mike.
Nice looking bass coming together.

I can do some Sei vs Shuker comparisons when I get my hands on my new custom build.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='36275' date='Jul 24 2007, 10:29 AM']Why did you not want the front bookmatched?[/quote]

Are you serious or kidding?

Either way, I agree because it took me a couple of minutes to figure out.: I assume you're referring to the non-matching flaming in the front. The reason for it is that it is *perfectly* bookmatched. The reason for the contrast is because the flaming is due to the grain changing direction and it's density as it follows, therefore perfect bookmatching means that what is a light stripe on one side will be dark on the other.

Yes I see what you mean. Each dark bit on one side is matched by a slight bit on t'other, which if you think about it is what you would expect from flame as the flaming is a trick of the light. Wonder how others make their non bookmatched flame maple look like bookmatched?

I read an article about PRS guitars a while back, they use something called 'slip matching' where they just take to pieces that look similar and move them around until they look the best. I suspect it was just an excuse not to bother bookmatching.

The bass will look stunning though, because as the flaming is due to grain and density changes, how it appears depends upon the angle you're looking from. I strongly suspect that Jon deliberately took the photo from this angle to make the grain look as pronounced as possible, which is when the 2 sides will be out-of sync. Any other angle and they'll look perfect, and especially with the blue top-coat, the angle will become irrelevant and will look in sync from any angle.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, still waiting. Jon has not received the pickups from Nordstrand yet (it's been a ridiculous wait!) so it's not routed or sprayed. Taken a fair bit longer than I hoped. The only good news is that I might get a Shuker embossed case rather than a normal Hiscox one, as they will be ready soon!

Hi Mike

I'm waiting on a set of Big Singles for my new Shuker too.
I got word from both Jon & Stew at Nordstrand that the pickups have now shipped, so Jon will get them this week.

Cannae wait ....
Jon reckons 3-4 weeks after the pickups arrive my bass will be ready.

I've held back posting build pics for now as it's going to be my "showbiz" bass.
Red sparkle with matching block inlays for a start, designed to match the drummer's red sparkle kit. Hehehe ...

[quote name='Tinman' post='47635' date='Aug 20 2007, 11:40 AM']Have Nordstrand given any reason for the delay? You've had a hell of a wait for them.

Did Jon say how much the cases would be?

Cheers

Pete[/quote]

Not really, no reason. Not sure when Jon ordered them though. I had specified them from day 1 though! I don't know how much the cases are, sorry!

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='47672' date='Aug 20 2007, 12:42 PM']didn't relize jon was getting his own branded cases, who's making them Hiscox i take it?[/quote]

Sorry Bassmonster - pass. Not sure!

[quote name='largo' post='47717' date='Aug 20 2007, 02:00 PM']Hi Mike

I'm waiting on a set of Big Singles for my new Shuker too.
I got word from both Jon & Stew at Nordstrand that the pickups have now shipped, so Jon will get them this week.

Cannae wait ....
Jon reckons 3-4 weeks after the pickups arrive my bass will be ready.

I've held back posting build pics for now as it's going to be my "showbiz" bass.
Red sparkle with matching block inlays for a start, designed to match the drummer's red sparkle kit. Hehehe ...[/quote]

That sounds frickin' awesome! Totally different! Can't WAIT to see it !! Do you not have a build thread?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...