Why become a member? ×

Jazz 5 - Vintage/Modern

henry norton

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1383251879' post='2262282']
Nice, you may be changing my views on block inlays!
[/quote]
Ha! Yeah I've always had a 'difficult' relationship with blocked and bound Fender necks. I always liked the 'workmanlike' quality of Fenders and thought unneeded adornments looked a bit out of place. My first electric was a maple Jazz with black blocks and binding - I hated the way it looked but as I got older I started to appreciate the more flashy aspects of the top range Fenders. All good stuff ;)

• 1 month later...

Been meaning to upload this for ages.
[color=#333333][font=Georgia,]Here it is in loosely assembled form. It's pretty much all there now, just needs sanding and painting. I was going to go for fiesta red, including a matching headstock face but I'm going to trawl around to see if I can find any other colours that would go well with the tort accessories (suggestions will be welcome - obviously as the pickups are tort I can't really change the scratchplate now so whatever colour I use will have to go with the tort). [/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Georgia,]Off for Xmas now so no updates 'til the New Year. See you in 2014 :)[/font][/color]

Wow that's looks like an absolute beast (in a good way BTW) good work. Colours? Well I'm a fan of white and tort, super classic combo, but it already looks pretty tasty in natural to be fair. However, if you stated out wanting a fiesta red one, stick to this because it'll always be in the back of your mind going, "I was meant to be red."

• 3 years later...

Three and a half years - almost a record????
Anyway, after some rather worrying health issues with my kids and job changes I'm now finishing off my Jazz build. Fiesta Red with a clear coat over the top - still not sure whether It'll be reliced or super-shiny. I expect it'll depend on how lazy I'm feeling on the day but a very mild relic is what's on my mind right now ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Started on the flatting and polishing so things are really starting to take shape. Just loosely put together for now so I can see some progress. Being a lazy git I decided on a mildly worn look, obtained by flatting back with 2000 grit paper followed by semi-buffing using watered down ultra cut rubbing compound. Quite pleased with it so far.

Thanks for the comments. :D

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1498213929' post='3323149']
...Why the chrome knobs?
[/quote]

I'm glad you asked that, I've been looking at it and wondering about the control plate. The chrome knobs came on the cheapo plate I bought for it when I first started the build. The original idea was to make as much as I could from materials and hardware I already had lying around - the control plate and the bridge were the only significant parts I had to buy and for some reason I ended up with chrome knobs (I don't know why). The main point of this build was to do it for little or no extra outlay but I'm thinking it may be worth shelling out a bit of cash for some black plastic ones.

I'm getting there now and have spent my largest individual outlay on it - £21 on a set of strings :lol: :lol: :lol: !!! I'll post some pictures up soon.

Following on from BassAgent's question about the chrome knobs I've done a quick comparison using the 2 black plastic knobs from my Bass VI. Not sure if I like the 'authentic' knobs enough to shell out some more cash for them or whether the chrome knobs fit better with the hot-rodded look.
Opinions welcome...

Either way it's nearly done now. I've cut the nut and put it all together, just needing string trees now. I'll post some pics when they're in place.

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1498575872' post='3325634']
I think the chrome knobs look a bit cheap.
[/quote]

So... you think that a metal part with an internal plastic inlay, that has gone through the process of being chromed looks cheaper than a single piece of plastic? :P ;)

For me, the chromes look better with those pickups, if i was going to choose an alternative i would go with something with a vintage vibe to suit this bass, maybe these:

Thanks for the knob related feedback (cue joke...). It's finished now and I am going to keep it hanging on the wall in my bedroom for a while so I can ponder over any changes I might want to make. I damaged the neck pickup during some over zealous 'relicing' so it's only working on the bridge til I can get my soldering iron warmed up. Otherwise it's done so I'll post some finished pics when I've got some spare daylight time, along with some gloating comments about how little it cost me :P

All done other than some intonation and truss rod adjustment (and in keeping with the slightly neglected finish I may well neglect the set up aspect too). It plays nicely - definitely feels 'bigger' than a 34" scale 5, but not uncomfortably. The B has a very nice tension to it too courtesy of the extra inch. Pleased with the sound too.

I won't bore anyone with set up pictures but here's a photo of the finished article. Onto the next job now....