Why become a member? ×

SH*T I think I've got Carpal Tunnel

Jamesemt

[quote name='cheddatom' post='222032' date='Jun 19 2008, 11:55 AM']I always assume that my GP has real reasons for everything but he just doesn't communicate very well. I'm probably being naive though because he failed to diagnose my grandad's stroke and (less seriously) my broken foot.[/quote]

My foot was buggered too. I did something to it kicking a wall (whilst playing 5-a side, we conceded a needless and a late equaliser which lost us about 4 places in a 10 team league - in my last game for the team). It never really healed.

Last winter it hurt a bit just walking on it, and I started to feel pain in my hip. I went to the doctor and explained to him I'd injured my foot playing football (missing out the bit about me kicking the wall) and that now the slight limp it was giving me was hurting my hip. "Learn to live with it" was his advice. "You're getting old", (I am 33) "Thing's don't heal like they do when you're young.", "You should have gone to the hospital when you did it, they might have been able to help then...)

It took me a good 20 mins of argument with the w***er before he referred me to a podiatrist. Who incidentally fixed my foot within about 10 minutes by giving me a pair of insoles.

In this case I could see the f***er was loathed to refer me, it was something he considered "complicated" and unresolvable so why should he spend his budget on sorting it. w***er.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='222071' date='Jun 19 2008, 12:50 PM']My foot was buggered too. I did something to it kicking a wall (whilst playing 5-a side, we conceded a needless and a late equaliser which lost us about 4 places in a 10 team league - in my last game for the team). It never really healed.

Last winter it hurt a bit just walking on it, and I started to feel pain in my hip. I went to the doctor and explained to him I'd injured my foot playing football (missing out the bit about me kicking the wall) and that now the slight limp it was giving me was hurting my hip. "Learn to live with it" was his advice. "You're getting old", (I am 33) "Thing's don't heal like they do when you're young.", "You should have gone to the hospital when you did it, they might have been able to help then...)

It took me a good 20 mins of argument with the w***er before he referred me to a podiatrist. Who incidentally fixed my foot within about 10 minutes by giving me a pair of insoles.

In this case I could see the f***er was loathed to refer me, it was something he considered "complicated" and unresolvable so why should he spend his budget on sorting it. w***er.[/quote]

Yep, that's GPs for you. :) :huh:

I have an interesting article from Guitar Magazine about CTS and some remedies. Keith Emerson had sugery but the guy who wrote the article just took vitamins.
I will try and post it up here, (if i can find it after just changing PC's), but have it attached to an e-mail i sent to our sax player so can forward if you send me an e-mail address.

on a sort-of-related note...

i've just developed a ganglion on my left wrist (again) had quite a few over the years, but luckily always during periods when i wasn't playing much. they appeared for about 6 months then just went away.

now i am playing a couple of hours a day, and this thing is really making it uncomfortable, and restricting how long i can play for, and making everything far more difficult than it should be.

any experience with this, and any advice?

x

Amazing - not posted in a while, then I started getting this odd pain in the left side of my wrist and fingers. Lo and behold, a quick look reverals this post.

I've made an appointment with the doctor. I'm worried.

When did it start? Just after a two-hour Tower of Power gig. That Rocco still has wrists is impressive.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='223649' date='Jun 21 2008, 03:54 PM']Whack it with the family Bible used to be the conventional wisdom (not that I'm recommending that!)[/quote]

a doctor ACTUALLY did that on my first one. it hurt like nothing i had ever experienced. until i had one on my ankle aspirated a while back. i sobbed like a small child, it was really awful. and i'm ok with pain usually, guess i just wasn't prepared for it. i'd be prepared if i was to attempt to hit it myself, but i suspect my unconscious mind may interfere.

x

[quote name='cheddatom' post='222032' date='Jun 19 2008, 11:55 AM']I always assume that my GP has real reasons for everything but he just doesn't communicate very well. I'm probably being naive though because he failed to diagnose my grandad's stroke and (less seriously) my broken foot.[/quote]

Change your GP.