Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Cabs to Complement Orange Terror Bass 500

41.2Hz

[i]Just done 4 nights in a row and a big +1 for the sp212 and OTB 500,took everything in it,s stride and not in PA either.[/i]
[i]There doesn,t appear to be a lot of love for these cabs but forget the isobaric thing ,they are good sounding cabs and loud in the real world.[/i]
[i]I was thinking of getting another one of these cabs but one cab is doing the job very easily,mind 2 would look good.[/i]
[i]Vanity rools.[/i]

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1381229637' post='2235992']
[i]Just done 4 nights in a row and a big +1 for the sp212 and OTB 500,took everything in it,s stride and not in PA either.[/i]
[i]There doesn,t appear to be a lot of love for these cabs but forget the isobaric thing ,they are good sounding cabs and loud in the real world.[/i]
[i]I was thinking of getting another one of these cabs but one cab is doing the job very easily,mind 2 would look good.[/i]
[i]Vanity rools.[/i]
[/quote]

I'm still tempted to get a couple of these to replace my pair of aguilars. The aggies just perform so well, but like the idea of a full Orange rig.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1381229637' post='2235992']
[i]There doesn,t appear to be a lot of love for these cabs[/i]
[/quote]

I'll repeat what I wrote a few weeks ago: in my two years on here, I can't remember having read that anyone has been negative about their sound. But some have repeated that the "212" part in the name is wrong as these essentially are 112s with "support".

Me I have no opinion. Have not heard them, and not carried them.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone struggle on stage without monitors hearing these small low level cabs? I love a tall rig so some of the speakers are close ish to ear height.

On a small stage basically sitting on your cab/amp is always a pain even with tall cabs but a little knee high cab is surely a struggle?

[quote name='wally8' timestamp='1382617173' post='2254447']
Does anyone struggle on stage without monitors hearing these small low level cabs? I love a tall rig so some of the speakers are close ish to ear height.

On a small stage basically sitting on your cab/amp is always a pain even with tall cabs but a little knee high cab is surely a struggle?
[/quote]

You really need to wedge it or raise it up. You do lose volume though if you raise too high. Lack of boundary reinforcement etc.

Depends whether you want to hear "what the audience hears" or if you're more interested in monitoring your own playing, in which case other options exist.

Now that I use a 69er it's not an issue for me, but I used to run my bass through a [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Wharfedale-WPM-1-Personal-Active-Monitor-Speaker/GRL?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+General&utm_content=rrELwxCV|dc_pcrid_36893746519_plid__kword__match__"]http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Wharfedale-WPM-1-Personal-Active-Monitor-Speaker/GRL?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+General&utm_content=rrELwxCV|dc_pcrid_36893746519_plid__kword__match__[/url]

I have this anyway, since I do a fair bit of singing in the band and I have to have decent vocal monitoring.

There was a very similar thing in For Sale until a couple of days ago: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/220293-mackie-srm-personal-monitor-sold-pending-the-usual/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/220293-mackie-srm-personal-monitor-sold-pending-the-usual/[/url]

Interesting to know how people get on with the smaller cabs. You know what its like doing pub gigs, get about 30-45mins to set up, 1 song sound check if you're lucky usually with some drunk berk/expert bending your ear. Likely you dont get a chance to set up monitors or anything exciting, hence the benefit of the taller cabs = plug and play at times, depending on back strength and car size.

Cheers