Why become a member? ×

Shergold Marathon Woo Hoo!

itsmedunc

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shergold-Marathon-Bass-Guitar-/121181004775?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c36f363e7"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shergold-Marathon-Bass-Guitar-/121181004775?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c36f363e7[/url] These don't pop up often...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1379865181' post='2217526']
Blimey! That headstock looks enormous!
[/quote]

It does. I think the position of the camera may be exaggerating the effect. I don't think those string trees are stock, either.
It's showing the inevitable 'Shergold Peel' as well. :)

Edited by discreet

I think the string tree thingies are original, as I'm pretty sure the one I used had them. The headstock actually looks well proportioned when you see one of these "in the flesh", particularly since the body is a hefty slab of wood. They also have some weird kind of stereo output which I seem to recall splits the pick up output so you could have something like chorus on just the top two strings.

I've not see a 4-string with string trees factory fitted before, but it wouldn't surprise me if Shergold did do a few with them. They could be prone to production whims. However, as discreet says, they don't match, and are asymmetrically placed. The six string did have them as standard I think.

Decent dose of crazing to the finish there, but to be expected. You can find examples that have fared better, but all will have some crazing by now unless you are lucky.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1379871803' post='2217628']
It's a Marathon 6 string bass - the Hayman basses had string trees that were slightly larger - here's mine. Some of the Shergolds may have had them stock or fitted later there were several variants.
[/quote]

Never seen one of those before!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1379882521' post='2217851']
Loving the Marathon. From that pic it looks in good condition, too.
[/quote]
Thanks. Yes it is in very good condition.

It has the usual Shergold cracked lacquer look but hardly any dings at all plus it has it's original bridge cover.

[size=4][quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1379882686' post='2217865']
Thanks. Yes it is in very good condition.
It has the usual Shergold cracked lacquer look but hardly any dings at all plus it has it's original bridge cover.
[/quote]

So... you want to sell it, then?? :D[/size]

Edited by discreet

Some of the early Shergold's had the big tree things that were left over from when they bought Hayman IIRC.
There is a Shergold fan forum somewhere, think it's on Faecesbook.
I had a loaner Marathon in 1980 when my Kasuga Rick had been nicked. I didn't want to give it back, that's for sure!
The one on FEEBay, paint would strip easy, I'm having a Sea Foam Green/tortie plate fantasy :ph34r: