Why become a member? ×

What strings do you BassChat DB'ers play?

Clarky

I wouldn't get Olivs if you haven't got decent tuners. The tuning seems to be worse on the D than the G but then I've had the G on quite a lot longer, though the D should have settled by now it's been a couple of months and they get played at least an hour an day. The Oliv D has quite a few dead spots for me particularly on Bb. I kind of like the dead notes as they remind me of Larry Gales!

I had spirocores on my bass when I got it - the G string annoyed me too much so I went for Oliv G, and recently added Oliv D - they are sumptuous to bow! I am tempted to get a Gamut G string but it does have to be bowable, any advice.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1380364805' post='2224275']
I wouldn't get Olivs if you haven't got decent tuners. The tuning seems to be worse on the D than the G but then I've had the G on quite a lot longer, though the D should have settled by now it's been a couple of months and they get played at least an hour an day. The Oliv D has quite a few dead spots for me particularly on Bb. I kind of like the dead notes as they remind me of Larry Gales!

I had spirocores on my bass when I got it - the G string annoyed me too much so I went for Oliv G, and recently added Oliv D - they are sumptuous to bow! I am tempted to get a Gamut G string but it does have to be bowable, any advice.
[/quote]

Yeah exactly, I'm not planning on changing strings on my current bass, they'r fine. (of course string changing is an expensive venture) I might just include some strings I like in the overall cost of my new bass. It completely depends on what I get. If I like Pauls Bryant and I have a lot of money left over then I'll more options to make sure the instrument is setup well and has all the extras I might want. (i.e strings etc etc)

I can't see downtuning as being an issue, as I play my bass everyday, I tune it anyway. However how about on gigs? Would you expect the strings to be okay after a two-three hour set? (obviously if theres was interludes I'd be checking my tuning anyway)

When you say dead notes do you mean the notes muted?

[quote name='SevenSeas' timestamp='1380370186' post='2224382']
Also can you buy strings individual? I might want to buy a D and G string Oliv but not want to pay £500 for the whole set.
[/quote]google is your friend!

Thomann and thestringzone.co.uk each sell individual Oliv strings

[quote name='SevenSeas' timestamp='1380370155' post='2224380']

I can't see downtuning as being an issue, as I play my bass everyday, I tune it anyway. However how about on gigs? Would you expect the strings to be okay after a two-three hour set? (obviously if theres was interludes I'd be checking my tuning anyway)

When you say dead notes do you mean the notes muted?
[/quote]

1. Yeah it'll go out a little bit on gigs. Not the end of the world.

2. I mean khrrrrhhhh it makes an unpleasant noise. See also Velvet Garbo, which were similar, though they seemed to straighten out the more I played them.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1380377472' post='2224488']
1. Yeah it'll go out a little bit on gigs. Not the end of the world.

2. I mean khrrrrhhhh it makes an unpleasant noise. See also Velvet Garbo, which were similar, though they seemed to straighten out the more I played them.
[/quote]

Have you found out why its made that unpleasant noise?

[quote name='SevenSeas' timestamp='1380450516' post='2225318']
Have you found out why its made that unpleasant noise?
[/quote]

I'm guessing it's something to do with the material of the strings that emphasises dead spots. Or maybe the string is too low. It's strange but I kind of like the 'funky' (not like funk music) timbre, you can definitely hear in old recordings a rougher less consistent sound from bassists' gut strings.

Has anyone got experience with Gamut strings? I'm seriously tempted...

• 3 weeks later...

I was playing plain gut D and G with Hellicore Hybrid E and A for a long time and did quite a lot of pizz and arco. I then switched to a whole set of Hellicore Hybrids as I too started using a mag pickup as a backup if feedback become un controllable at gigs. Put a set of Danny Thompson signatures on my bass yesterday, finding them a bit bright and metallic sounding at the mo but think they need a bit longer to bed in before I make my judgement.

I am far too lazy to have to re-tune my bass every time I pick it up (especially as often I only get a few minutes a day) so - much as I think Olivs have the nicest tone of any string I've played - I have tonight gone back to the old stalwarts, Spirocore Mittels. They sound good, hold their tuning well and last for years.

I did recently have some Velvet Blues on my bass for a week or so's try-out, and these have a nice slightly guttier/darker tone (albeit brighter than the Animas and Garbos I have tried). I also tried some Presto Nylon LIghts this week, but they were a bit too dark sounding and 'clunky' feeling. So this evening I re-installed my set of Spiros in one of those I-feel-like-swapping-my-strings-over moments and very quickly was reminded why Spiros are such an industry standard.

Think I am going to stick with Spiros and keep the Velvet Blues in reserve in case I need something darker sounding at some point (plus they are very quickly installed, with their unusual string-type endings, so can sit in my gig-bag just in case I break a string - which may happen on the twelfth of never :lol: )

Edited by Clarky

Sound wise they are virtually identical (bar G string - see later) but the higher tension (which is perfectly manageable in my view) is slightly nicer for digging in and means I can get the action lower. If you like a higher action then TBH there's not much in it, but I prefer lower. The Mittel G string though is much better in my view as it has more authority and doesn't produce that floppy buzz on the board (described by TalkBass fraternity as wanging) when you hit it slightly harder.

• 9 months later...

Little revival here.

I changed strings last night as curiosity was getting the best of me. The Velvet Animas were lovely and lasted over 3 years but were sounding quieter and more thumpy recently. I found a used set of Spiro mediums and figured it was time to try them. I've pretty much always had synthetic strings of one kind or another on the bass but felt I needed to try the benchmark. What's nice is the strings are used so they're not zingy and they tuned up and stayed in tune almost immediately. The action height may need some adjustment but the strings haven't really choked the bass tone/volume, which was my main worry. Now I just need to get used to the tension...lol :)

I've used Mittels ever since I started. I resolved not to monkey about with different strings and settle on one sort. And the Mittels have served me well. There's one characteristic that these strings have though, particularly the G: when you put them on, new or used, they can be over-bright for the first few days. Even the same strings that have been de-tensioned for any reason and then re-tensioned. I have refitted some on my Upton Prof and it sounds like a banjo!

I've pretty much settled on Innovation Rockabillys on my ply bass - I just love the way I can bounce my right hand from string to string.

My carved bass, on the other hand, is proving to be something of a problem child. I persevered with my Velvet Garbos before finally losing it big time over the nasal overtones on the D string and swapping to Spiro wiechs. All was proceeding well until I had a new bridge fitted and the bass came back with an 11mm action on the G string, making the Spiro G feel like a bit of cheese wire. I've now got Innovation Super Silvers on the G and D (still Spiro Weichs on A and E) just so I can actually play the bugger. I did a little open mic session last night and wasn't incredibly eanmoured with the amplified sound - soooo I think I'll have to go back to the luthier and admit defeat and have my action lowered to a wimpy yet playable 7mm and then give the Spiros another try.

I think I've fallen out of love with my Velvet Garbos - too many overtones for my old school tastes. I'll put them up for sale cheap if anyone's interested.

Tried loads over the years, after starting on spiros.
Velvet Garbo - great old school sound and a thunderous A string on my bass. Too cumbersome to get around on for me, ultimately. Tend to have a really distinct sound of their own, which maybe isnt so good, dunno...
Anima - brighter, more focussed gutty sound and really good playablilty. Sustain/decay was perfect for old-school ballads.
Blues - were phenomenal for about a fortnight, then they dulled into cheap Animas.
Labella 7720 - similar to spiros but I found them unpleasantly brighter and the tension wasnt as playable
Labella 7710 - high tension on my bass. Felt like there was too much indistinct low end and brittle highs

I'm back on Spiros now. I was using a standard Mittel set on my 3/4; but then used the S42 4/4 set which gave me a better growl/sustain and lowered the tension a bit. Bass seemed a bit freer with them on.
Recently, I was able to organise a lesson with Arild Andersen and play his recently-acquired Auray bass (stunning instrument!). Jean Auray had suggested he switch from mittels to weichs/mittel G, which felt and sounded great on his bass. I tried the same setup and it suits my bass really well. Sound is open and free - the bass likes it so this seems to have mitigated the lower string mass in tonal terms. Also, the tension of weichs is just sooo nice to play on. I clean them regularly to keep them bright, and once in a while take the tension off. Retuning gies them another lease of life and the bass likes it too.
I'm into lyrical sustain, so naturally this setup works well for me. Lots of varied and identifiable tones from masters who use spiros though - Ray Brown and Marc Johnson spring to mind. i guess they're not the benchmark for nothing!

There's a lot of Spiro enthusiasm on this thread! As a kid I first became aware of the double bass by listening to Danny Thompson on various records my parents had around, so that steel-string growl has probably shaped my perception of how a double bass is supposed to sound from an early age.
Since this thread was started, I've changed from Mittels to Weichs (both in the 3/4 length). This was initially because I had the beginnings of a carpal tunnel problem with my left wrist which appeared to be triggered by playing guitar and electric bass. Even though the wrist pain has stopped since I revised my posture a little, the Weichs seem to suit my bass better so I think I'll be sticking with them. My bass has a thinner top than many and seems to respond best with a little less tension. On my bass, they're a little less bright and stringy and a little woodier sounding than the Mittels. With the string height a little higher, they get about as loud as the Mittels on my bass although it takes a different pizz stroke to bring it out of them. They respond much better with the bow too, which I'm using more and more with the project I'm playing with at the moment.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

• 5 months later...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I just swapped out the Spiro Weichs on my DB for Velvet Blues. I'd love another set of Animas but I don't have the readies at the moment. I just couldn't get on with the Spiros. Too much sustain, tension and note definition...lol. The intonation was killing me. [/font][/color] :lol:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] I'll save my coppers and hopefully get some Animas this summer. The Blues are a little brighter on the bass than Animas but still have that lovely Velvet thing going on....rich tone, but darker than the Spiros and that great string tension.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]What are Animas like compared to guts? I nearly sprang for a set of Lenzner guts but I don't know if guts are right for me. I don't slap but I love a big, dark fundamental tone. Animas have been the best strings on the bass so far. [/font][/color]

I keep fiddling around with Velvets, guts etc for that old school sound but have ended up with Spiro Weich on the bottom and plain guts on top (Chorda Carlos Henriquez) as I have been playing in an all acoustic (no amp) bluegrass setting - in this band/collective the lower gut type strings get a bit wooly and lost, whereas you hear the Spiros. I would love to find a compromise! After reading and listening to geoffbassist's review of Zyex lights I am wondering if I should have stuck with those (briefly owned a set but traded them on as I was striving for a real gut sound at the time)

Edited by Clarky

The years go by and it's still guts for me. All gut sets for over a year now on both my basses. Depending on my fancy, A is either raw gut or wound. E is always wound, D am G raw gut. I'm also experimenting with a slightly lower action (but still comparatively high by today's standards). Sounds like heaven to me and the dynamics in the playing come out so well. You can hammer or slap guts and sound groovy and percussive; you can dig in and swing hard, or you can tickle them and they sing low... I'm in love with guts more every time I play. Sometimes I hear other people playing on steels or velvets and I dig their sound but guts just do it for me.