Why become a member? ×

Basses owned ( is one you want amongst these? )

Paul_C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1182977416' post='24157']
LOL

Right, deep breath

I order from first in to last in....

4s
Westone Thunder II (didn't everyone start on one?)
Fender '96 USA Jazz (first Fender was a bad 'un. How did it get past Fender QC? Sounded like it was made of tin)
Fender Japan Precision (should never have sold it. Everything they said about Jap Fenders was true. Lovely bass)
Fender Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Precision (first active Fender, sounded and looked too 'nice'. Lovely ebony fretboard)
Fender Custom Shop Classic Jazz (looked awesome, sounded too bright. Started to get message re. Fender active electronics)
Fender Custom Shop Jaco Relic (waste of money, I still didn't sound like Jaco, lots of hum, green finish. Was his bass green?)
Squire Precision fretless (sounded and felt almost as good as the Jaco at 5% of the price)
EBMM Stingray 4 2EQ (the best active bass I've owned)
EBMM Stingray 4 3EQ (not as good as the 2EQ)
EBMM SUB 4 (amazing value bass, sound-wise indistinguishable from a 'ray. Built like a Russian shotputter)
EBMM Stingray 4 fretless (finally realised I need frets)
Modulus Sonic Hammer (a monster, too dangerous to have around, kept drinking my beer and shagging my birds)

5s
EBMM Stingray 5 (how did EBMM have the nerve to call it a Stingray? Bland and safe. Poor EQ)
EBMM SUB 5 (looked and sounded like a 'ray, EBMM should have made this the SR5, the SR5 should have been the Sterling 5)
Status Artist 5 (great bass but very acquired taste tone-wise. I didn't acquire it. Amazing neck)
EBMM Bongo 5 (great bass, couldn't take the shape. 4EQ was unnecessary and didn't cut it, especially high mid)

6....!
Peavey Grind 6 (lovely bass, really lovely tone, too many strings)

Back to 4s
Shergold '76 Marathon* (current project bass. Neck like a Precision and sounds like a Stingray. Mojo city)
Black Rose Custom 4 (great great sounding bass but neck too thin and body too small)
Tokai Jazzsound early '80s (possibly didn't give this baby enough time, growly and sexy)
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz (can't see what the fuss is about, skinny neck, weedy sound, looks plastic)
Fender '79 USA Precision (Danni - wow, the best neck ever, would have kept, but met Kylie)
Fender USA Precision Deluxe (the worst active electronics I've played. Mediocre bass at best. Deluxe?)
Fender '97 USA Precision with JPUP (Kylie)* (my favourite bass ever)
Fender '99 USA Jazz Corona Series* (best Jazz I've owned, slaps like a 'ray on steroids, growls like a grizzly)
Modulus Flea 4 (awesome bass but mostly had sounds I didn't need, now gone to someone who will love it)

* still have

After all that, my two current basses cost me a grand total of £850
Chris
[/quote]

Crikey, that was a trip down memory lane :)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have anymore:
Axl Marquee AP-800 -- my first own bass (had borrowed several before this). A terrible twitched neck made me return it after the weekend, and get the Corvette instead.

Still have, in order of acquisition:
RockBass Corvette 4 ACT
Hohner B2B
MM Bongo 4-HH
MM Bongo 4-HS
Squier Classic Vibe J 60s
Squier Classic Vibe P 50s
Squier Classic Vibe P 50s
Ashbory (the version by Fender, IMS)
Daisy Rock Debutante Daisy (that be the flower bass)
MM StingRay 5-H fretless
MM Bongo 4-HH
Rockinbetter RG4003

Current basses:
65 Fender Precision (LPB)
67 Fender Precision slab clone
74 Fender Precision
Fender Precision parts bass (74 'A' neck, Highway 1 body)
67 Fender Coronado Bass II
65 Guild Jetstar Bass
90's Guild Starfire Bass II
90's Dearmond Starfire Bass II

No longer with me:
78 Fender Musicmaster Bass

• 2 weeks later...

This was my old faithful transition period Jazz Bass that I bought in 1966, date on neck 7APR 65, it was languishing in my wardrobe after I'd moved to 5 stringers, what amazed people was that I'd saved the chrome ware including the original screws. Although I miss it when I came back from Sheffield I'd paid off my mortgage with the proceeds. What I will say is that when fitted with an East J-retro active kit it was phenominal.

Edited by Jazz Bass 65

Since I started playing, around 1984
The obligatory catalogue bass, a Hohner or Kay or something. It was white and short scale. It wasn't too long before I had stripped the paint, made a stingray type scratchplate and defretted it.
Next up a new Hohner Jack. I remember the advert in a mag, it was shown with a Mesa 400 amp. That was the beginning of GAS, but back then you'd have to wait a week for Loot or something to see what was for sale, non of this Internet malarkey!
I found a Larrivee 6 string neck through with Bartolinis. I had no interest really in playing a 6er but a mate had recently acquired an ken smith 6 and I thought I should try one. Hated the colour and again stripped the paint and waxed finished it. Sold that for so little it's painful to remember!
Then one day in the early 90s whichever bass magazine was around I saw a warwick dolphin pro 1 for sale in BEM down south at a price I thought was a misprint. The chap in the shop also thought it was a mistake but honoured the price as it was advertised. Happy days!

Around the same time I found a wal fretless for sale locally. Have owned that now for 20 years or so and very rarely play. Not sure I will ever sell it as I would never pay the price they fetch now to replace it.

By 2000 I'd pretty much stopped playing, bands had broken up and life was pulling me in a different direction. Fast forward to 2012 and the list seems to have gone bonkers.
From 2012 to current have owned

Epiphone Jack Casady in gold

Fender mim 70s reissue

Warmoth jazz custom w/ nordstrands

Squier silver series jazz modded with mm bridge pup and Basslines J neck pup

Squier standard jazz in candy apple red

EBMM Stingray active 2 eq

EBMM Sub active 2 eq

EBMM STERLING RAY

Hoyer 70s EB 3 short scale - amazingly versatile thing

Wishbass fretless - interesting

Cheap jazz copy

ACG SC FINN 5er

Kaiser Klaus 5 - amazing tone, looks like a cross between a ritter and a warwick all wenge and zebra wood and growl.

Crafter acoustic 4

Never yet owned a P so probably should try one but I think the Marlin I played at school as a kid put me off anything P shaped!

Ok, mine's a small list, bear in mind I'm only in my early twenties...[list]
[*]Squier Precision Bass - bought as a beginner, sold after 2 years
[*]Maverick S4 Nemesis (red) - sold when I bought...
[*]Maverick S5 Nemesis (black) - made the jump up to 5-string, sold when I bought...
[*]Musicman Stingray 5 (black/maple) - recently sold on here
[*]Musicman Stingray 5 (stealth)
[*]Epiphone Rivoli (1964 in sunburst)
[/list]
I wish it was a bit more interesting but I'm very happy with the current two, would like a nice P bass at some point, and try out some other makes.

Haven't ever really had the money (or G.A.S) to warrant more than this over 13 years of playing, and have kept my Ashdown ABM Evo II 500 c115 combo for about 8 years now.

Standing Joke in all the bands I've been in are the amount of basses I go through, So here goes-

Bronco P Bass (First one I owned)
Vigier Excess (still own)
Vigier Passion
Status S2
Status B2 (Still own)
Sadowsky HPJ
Modulus Funk Unlimited
Fender Geddy Lee
Fender Duff
Fender Mark Hoppus
Fender P Lyte
Fender Big Block (Still Own)
Fender US P Bass
Fender Mex Jazz
Fender Mex Jazz 5
Alembic Epic
Overwater Artisan
Gibson Thunderbird
Epiphone Thunderbird
Epiphone Jack Cassady
Musicman Sterling
Musicman Bongo
Line6 Variax Bass
Warwick Streamer Jazzman
Warwick $$
Warwick Infinity 5
Jon Birch Ric Copy
Kasuga Ric Copy
Retrovibe Ric Copy
Aria SWB 03
Aria SB1000
Eminence Upright Bass
Gordy Bass
Charvel P Bass
Krama Focus
Warmoth SG Bass
Lakland 55-02
G&L Asat Bass
G&L SB2 Tribute
G&L SB2 US
G&L L2000
Peavey T40
Ibanez Blazer X 2
Ric 4003-

2xFireglow
3xJetglow

ESP Ltd 404 Viper Bass (Still got)

I think Thats It, I really don't think I should buy another Ric ever again. :rolleyes:

Edited by Geddys nose

Current:
Peavey T40
Ibanez Blazer
Kramer Forum 4
Mexican Jazz
Charvette P mij
Washburn B20
Satellite frankenbass (best player)
Ibanez Roadstar 2 rb750
Aerodyne Jazz non export
and a few 6 strings guitars.

Ones that got away:
Ibanez Musician fretless (!)
Hohner Jack
Aria Pro SB

• 2 weeks later...

Great Thread, love reading the stories behind peoples basses.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1182886635' post='23722']
Warwick Corvette Active 1995 -
Liked this, the band thought the top horn looked like a D**do so after being the brunt of D*ck jokes for about a year I decided to sell this and buy a...
[/quote]

Still chuckling at that!!

My list is fairly humble, been lucky not to have too many dogs.

Westfield P/J - We all have to start somewhere, worlds highest action. Crackliest jack socket ever.
2004 MIM Fender P Bass (sunburst) - Loved this bass, the reason I always come back to precisions.
[u]2006 Musicman Stingray 3eq (Black) - [/u]The constant, saved up for 2 years to buy it new. Feels like home.
1994 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass (sunburst) - Was never 100% on it, sounded amazing but never felt right.
2010 MIM Fender 50s P Bass (fiesta red) - The colour.......wow. Would love a roadworn one to fill the void she left.
[u]2011 Custom Grabber (wood, lots of it) -[/u] I have phases with this bass, in my old band it was a mainstay, so much growl. Not using it much these days at all. Thinking of changing the pickups and going for a more "ripper" sound. Periodically decide I want to get in finished in a colour, never do.
2004 MIA Fender Jazz (sunburst) - Only recently sold this, miss the sound a lot! Special memories as it came on some big tours and played at some big venues with my current band.
[u]2013 AVRI 1963 Precision Bass -[/u] Amazing bass; looks, sounds and feels like a 60's bass. Everything about it is great. Put flats on it, even better. Anyone who says Precisions aren't versatile or are "one trick ponies" I urge you to try one of these. I won it in the rotosound competition so even sweeter that it was free.

Edited by stingraybassman

Fender '75 RI Jazz
Fender '62 RI Jazz
Fender CIJ Geddy Lee Sig Jazz
Fender Nate Mendel Sig Precision
Fender Classic '50s Precision
Fender Classic '70s Jazz
Ibanez SR1605
Ibanez GSR200
Overwater Progress III
Overwater by Tanglewood Contemporary J 5
Peavey Grind 6
Squier VM '77

Twelve (owned)... In nearly 17 years. Not bad. My amp history is even more surprising:

Mark bass LMIII head and Aguilar GS112... Then added a DB112NT and before that just a Hartke 4x10 transporter cab and Laney RB9 head.

[quote name='earhook' timestamp='1393357010' post='2379319']
Nice collection!
[/quote]
Thanks! Really wish I still had my first bass - the 1981 USA Precision. Black/black/maple - killer looks, lovely feel, amazing tone (well, two amazing tones, really - aggressive punk or deepest dub.) Sigh ...

• 3 weeks later...

Currently owned:

[url="http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/dumek/f3ffaf0c-cf6d-4933-b42f-c71ea8ff1b36_zps183edbed.jpg"]Photo[/url]

Zon Sonus Custom 6
Mayones Comodous Custom 6
[url="http://www.gitarion.pl/galeria/basowe/xotic_xb-2/00.gif"]Xotic Xb5[/url]
[url="http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/dumek/f_bs_zps21e222d6.jpg"]Fender Precision '83.[/url]
[url="http://www.gitarion.pl/galeria/basowe/fender_precision_elite_IIx/00.gif"]Fender Precision Elite II '83[/url]
Spector Euro 5 '01
Spector Euro 4 '94
[url="http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/dumek/rebop/r1_zps83dcd927.jpg"]Spector Rebop 5 Fretless[/url]
[url="http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/dumek/Zdj1190cie0523_zpsaafa5784.jpg"]Maya Rickenbacker[/url]
Lakland 55-64

Owned:
MusicMan Stingray 5 '02.
[url="http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/dumek/ResizeofResizeofwarw1.jpg"]Warwick Thumb Bo5[/url]
Warwick Corvette 5 '02
GMR Soundboard 5
Lakland 55-02

btw, hello guys, my first post here. :)

I've only sold two basses. Note all instruments in this list are left-handed unless noted:

Sold:

1. Late '70's Hondo P-bass copy. Crap instrument.
2. 1999 or so Mexican Fender J-bass. Bought a better Jazz, so it was surplus to requirements.

Currently Own:

1. 1976 Kingston (Hofner copy) - right handed short-scale bass restrung for left.
2. 1977 Fender Precision - the love of my life.
3. 2009 Hofner 500/1 V62.
4. 2007 Indie custom acoustic bass (32" scale).
5. 1985 Hofner 187 "Shorty" travel bass (one of only a handful made - 28" scale).
6. 1967 Fender Jazz (w/lollipop tuners, bound neck w/inlays, non-original pups - see my avatar).
7. 2013 Gaskell Thunderbass (Thunderbird copy).

• 2 weeks later...

In twenty years of playing, I've had the following:

- Silver Marlin Sidewinder. It was eventually refinished in Hawaiian Shirt paint job, and is in pieces under a bed at my Dad's house.
- 80's 2EQ Stingray (white, black plate, rosewood) - First proper bass, thanks student overdraft. Kept for four years, then traded for...
- '78 Precision. Stripped when I bought it, eventually refinished in Capri Orange. I had it as my only bass for 12 years, then added....
- Wood and Tronics Ergon 5. My main player now.

Had a fair few in my time including those I have reviewed for Bacchus / Deviser of course. Lets think.

Epiphone - piece of crap for beginners
MIJ Aria Pro II - beginner so didn't know value of bass - liked it though
Vestax 5 string - shiiite
US Pedulla pentabuzz fretless - gorgeous
US Pedulla Rapture - hmmm not so hot.
UK JD 4 string fretless - excellent
US Fender Precision Deluxe
MIJ Yamaha TRB PII 6
MIJ ESP - Jaguar style bass - forget the name - good bass though.
MIJ ESP Amaze 4 string - Amazing just as you'd expect, but bloody pricey!
MIJ ESP Amaze 5 String - Oh yeah!
MIJ ESP Bottom Line Fretless - very nice, chinnamon pre sounds beautiful.
MIJ ESP Edwards EAM128 QM - great! Much like the Amaze but p-ups not as good
MIJ ESP Edwards Ikuo Signature, Black - yeah great instrument indeed, good for heavy rock / funk.
MIJ ESP J signature Bass - nice enough, not my kind of bass though... and so expensive!
MIJ Moon JJ5 Fretless - Awesome
MIJ Moon JB4 - Ken armstrongs - yup, very very nice
MIJ Moon JJ4 - Superb
MIJ Blade B2 - Blue Stain - great, bit bright though.
MIJ Blade B3 - Natural - gorgeous!
MIJ Blade B4 5 string - cherry burst - NTMB preamp oh yeaaaahhh !
MIJ Kubicki Blaster - white - Cool, great neck, light weight body, punchy as you like!
MIJ Kubicki Blaster - Red - My current refurb project.
MIJ Bacchus STrong 4 - NTMB pre, f'in great!
MIJ Bacchus Woodline 4 -2002 - A simple but fantastic jazz bass, great build quality.
MIJ Bacchus Strong 5 - NTMB - One of the best I ever played.
MIJ Bacchus Strong LTD 4 - NTMB - Even better than above.
MIJ Bacchus Standard 5 - Maple board, barts, XTCT pre - Very very nice indeed
MIJ Bacchus Standard 5 - Ebony board, XTCT Pre - " "
MIJ Bacchus Grooveline 5 - XTCT Pre - Yes, YEs YES! Brilliant, loved it, so simple and light, but kicked ass and just sounded good right away.
MIJ Bacchus STD JB5 - Aguilar OPB2 - Awesomeness, nice tonal variety
MIJ Bacchus TF5ASH - "" "" - My go to bass right now
MIJ Bacchus Twentyfour 5 LTD Zebrawood 2004 XTCT- Oh my god!
MIJ Bacchus Twentyfour 5 LTD 2006 NTMB - Quilted Maple - Ash - Holy cow of Bethlehem!
MIJ Bacchus Twentyfour 5 2003 Alder - XTCT - Pretty fine, but not as good as the others above
MIJ Bacchus WLJB5 - Passive - great very very nice Jazz bass indeed.
MIJ Bacchus Woodline DX5 Passive - Uh huh, this was beautiful, very clear but rich tone
MIJ Bacchus Woodline DX5AC - XTCT pre - Superb
MIJ Bacchus Woodline DX4AC - XTCT pre - " "
MIJ Bacchus Twentyfour DX5 - XTCT - Brilliant sound, not my favourite neck though, prefer the TF5ASH.
MIJ Bacchus Twentyfour DX4 - XTCT - " "
MIJ Bacchus DX5BGP - Sexy looks, lightweight, big sound. Love it.
MIP Bacchus TF 501 - Big bang for small buck - yeah it's very good but lacks the attention to detail it's MIJ cousins have..
MIC Bacchus UG4M - Bass Bomb pre - holy f@%k for an MIC bass surprisingly excellent. It kicks! Still using this as a four string.
MIJ Bacchus BJ PJ bass 1998 - blow job in yer pajamas? Almost better than sex, but not quite.
MIJ Made By Aska - AC70's 5 - XTCT Oh my god, just gorgeous. STR Build at affordable prices.
MIJ 1997 Ken Smith Burner 5 - Ken Smith Tone and build quality at an affordable price. Very very very nice indeed.
MIJ Atelier Z JHJ89 - Really really nicely made, sounded great to, but I didn't like the neck profile too much personally.

I think there were a few others, but not so memorable ones. I have had numerous Bacchus handmade come through me, like about 20 or so used models, all very consistent in build, so didn't list them all as they were the same models just different stains.
Yes, I live in Japan! If you're looking for any MIJ models just gimme a shout I may be able to help ;)

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
Just remembered a handful of important ones in addition to my previous post. Don't know how I could've forgotten some of these!

MIJ Yamaha JP1 - Amber, gorgeous neck, construction was sublime, but again the pre-amp and p-ups were just a little too clinical and noisy too.

MIJ Bacchus 24 1st generation 5 string; XTCT, brilliant neck, light body, deep set neck joint, excellent resonance, but only had a two band EQ....if three it would've rocked!

MIK Clive 5 string Modern - stock pre was good, pups were OK response not so great through the whole tonal spectrum, workable though, and the neck kept shifting...NG for a pro.

Tune TWB5 Hybrid - awesome sounding thing...beautifully made...but the neck kept shifting couldn't take the humid Japanese summer.

Tune TWB6 Ash - Gorgeous clear tone, awesome bridge, loved it, better than the Yamaha JP IMO....the neck was solid on this one....great.

Tune Slapping 5 - Tune's preamp rocked, this bass just sounded great, looked cool in it's strange angular modern tune sort of way! Neck was fine too no issues.

I do miss a lot of the basses I had come through me, but I love trying out and reviewing them all and it lead me to select the brand I most trust for cost, quality, performance and quality.
So my verdict is that Moon, ESP and Bacchus / Deviser basses have rugged necks that deal with temperate change quite well, whereas Tune seemed to have a few issues although it might have just been one "bad" neck though, not sure. THe Yammy JP was also not as resilient to climatic changes.[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
__________________[/font][/color]

In no particular order...

Fender American Deluxe Jazz QMT V
Fender American Vintage ‘62 Jazz Bass Reissue
Fender American Deluxe Jazz Fretless
CL Acoustic Bass
Modulus Graphite Quantum IV
Fender US Standard Jazz
Bass Collection SB325
Bass Collection SB315 Fretless
Westone Spectrum DX

And a Boosey and Hawkes Excelsior Double Bass

In no particular order...

Fender American Deluxe Jazz QMT V
Fender American Vintage ‘62 Jazz Bass Reissue
Fender American Deluxe Jazz Fretless
CL Acoustic Bass
Modulus Graphite Quantum IV
Fender US Standard Jazz
Bass Collection SB325
Bass Collection SB315 Fretless
Westone Spectrum DX

And a Boosey and Hawkes Excelsior Double Bass

• 1 month later...

past:

- Aria pro 2
- cort b4
- cort josh paul
- fender precision japan ri70
- fender precision japan standart
- fender jp 90
- jender jazzbass standart us
- Telecaster bass 1968
- Fender precision av 62 (x2)
- stingray V
- stingray IV
- Status S2 classic

Currently Own:

- Fender jazzbass av 62 (1987) ==> the best :)
- Fender precision custom shop 51 ltd

the next .... sadowsky mv4 and jazz bass 70' original ?

Hmm... After seeing the number of instruments you guys have, I'm not sure I can hold my own. I've "only" got 7 basses, a double bass and 2 guitars... I am only 20 though, so maybe I'm not doing too bad!

4 string:
Squire P-Bass (Jazz neck and J pickup at the bridge)
Ashbury fretless acoustic
5 string:
Cort JP-5 Signature bass
Line 6 Variax Bass
6 string:
Gear4Music bass (for modification)
7 string:
HK fretless
Maestro fretless acoustic