Why become a member? ×

Basses owned ( is one you want amongst these? )

Paul_C

Wow some immense lists! I've only just bought my fourth bass, I've been playing for about 14 years too! Anyway!
P bass copy circa 1995, nice bass, red and white. No name but had seymour duncan single coil pups. Mostly used for mindless punk! Now away to be de fretted.
Squier p bass circa 1999, hated it! It was the same colour as the copy. Terrible! I thought I had lost any ability I had until I went back to the copy! Put me off squier. It put me off changing until last year!
Ibanez srx430 white/black. Best bass I've played! Trialed loads of basses and chose this one. Its perfect for me ergonomically! Sounds fat too! This is my main one. Bought brand new. Nice preamp and mid tone knob is sweet. Sounds ace doing anything!
Tanglewood rebel 4k. Was a runner up in the search. Amazing for the price I thought, but I just just got a quick jam. I receive it on Tuesday so hopefully it arrives safely! It will need set up and mybe more but it was a bargain second hand. Will be using as a dropped tuned bass for a few songs. My copy doesn't like being dropped!
I've caught the bug now though! Watch this space!

Edited by stuartielow

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1307994850' post='1267876']
[b]Yamaha BB300 [/b]- Still here, about to go through a transformation.
Washburn XB-100
Jackson C5P
Schechter Model T
Fender USA Jazz
Warwick Corvette
Stuart Spector Design NS-94
Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass
Hohner B2A
Hofner Cavern Edition Violin Bass
MusicMan StingRay 3eq Piezo
MusicMan Bongo HH
Epiphone Jack Casady
Rickenbacker 4003
Jaydee Supernatural Roadie IIA
Fender MIM 50's Precision Bass
Fender MIM 60's Jazz Bass
Fender MIA 75 Jazz Bass
Fender MIJ 62 Precision
Ken Smith Burner Artist (Walnut)
Fender MIJ 70's Precision Fretless
Squier MIJ SQ Precision Bass
[b]Fender BG-32 Acoustic Bass [/b]- Still Here, sort of on Permanant Loan
[b]Fender Custom Shop 64 Jazz Bass [/b]- Only Just Got Here

None of these have made me any good at bass :)
[/quote]

I've had since...

Farida FJB Fretless in white
Fender/AXL/Celinder homemade plexiglass p-bass.
Fender 1977 Precision 3 colour sunburst.

All sold.

Now the stable is

Musicman Stingray Classic
Fender Geddy Lee
Farida Fretted Prototype
Farida Fretless Prototype

The old Jackson C5P was gifted back to me for my 28th birthday and now wears E-C flatwounds for noodling; a great bass, and massively underrated and largely forgotten.

Edited by AndyTravis

Here we go.....

Current: Fender P bass Frankenstein, Yam RBX 374, Pawn Shop Mustang.

And previous in no particular order...

EBMM Stingray
Sterling by MM Ray 34 CA

Classic 70`s Jazz
2 x Classic 60`s Jazz, one white, one sunburst
2 x Mex Jazz
Highway One Jazz
Highway One P
Squier VM P
Squier P bass Special
Squier Classic Vibe P
Squier VM Jazz
Squier Mike Dirnt
Fender Mike Dirnt
2 X US P basses
2 x Fender Jap 57 reissue P

2 x Epi Tbirds pro
2 x Epi Tbird
Epi EBO
Epi EB 3

Ibanez
SRX700
SR700
2 X SR500
GSR 205
2X SR300
Artcore short scale thing
2 x SRX somethings

3 x GL L2000 Tributes
2 x Yamaha BB414
Rockbass Corvette
Status T bass
Status Energy

This list of previous basses is shocking and has cost me a bloomin fortune. And I have let go some really good basses for the stupidest of reasons.

Edited by jezzaboy

Cheap beatles bass copy made out of plywood
Ibanez sr355 5-string
Warwick Corvette $$ 5-string neck-thru
Yamaha rbx-jm6 john myung signature 6-string
Ibanez sr1005efm 5-string
Warwick Corvette std. fretless
Mayones Comodous 6-string
Fender 5-string Deluxe jazz MIM
Music Man Bongo 5-string
Warwick Corvette Fna-jazzman 5-string (don't know why I sold it)
Music Man Stingray 4 (also regret selling)

The only bass i still own is the corvette $$ 5-string, love it. Also gasing for a stingray or a jazz right now :)

• 2 weeks later...

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Here's my story since 1995 (the ones I still have are [b]boldened[/b]):

[color=#000000]1. Musima DeLuxe - made in DDR (East Germany), defretted after buying my 2nd bass - I still have the remains, maybe I'll "resurrect" it one day, it'll make a nice ultra-vintage sounding bass[/color]

[color=#000000]2. Zak B4, P + H - alder/maple; Zak was an export brand of Mayones in the 90s[/color]

[color=#000000]3. Cort Action Bass V, defretted after I bought my next bass[/color]

[color=#000000]4. Yamaha BBG 5S - very decent[/color]

[color=#000000]5. Mayones Be5 [/color]

[color=#000000]6. [/color][color=#000000][b]Malinek fretless 5 [/b]- Jazz-shaped ash body, maple/wenge neck, rosewood fingerboard (lined), EMG humbucker in the MM posittion; I wanted to lose the EMG and install sth passive but now I'm having a new fretless 5 made so I won't bother with that; it's getting hardly any use atm[/color]

[color=#000000]7. Ibanez Roadster '82 with EMGs - I should have changed the pickups and kept the bass instead of selling it [/color]

[color=#000000]8. Nexus Shining 5 - I still miss it, definitely should have kept it[/color]

[color=#000000]9. Aria Rev-Sound Bass '79 [/color]

[color=#000000]10. Kolasiński 5 - a huge disappointment[/color]

[color=#000000]11. Fender Jazz Bass 5 MIM[/color]

[color=#000000]12. [/color][color=#000000][b]Alembic Essence 5 [/b]- my main weapon, it's magical, I'm planning to keep it forever[/color]

[color=#000000]13. Yamaha BB 615 - a decent backup 5[/color]

[color=#000000]14. [b]Fender Jazz Bass Geddy Lee Signature[/b][/color]

15.[b] Ibanez Roadstar II fretless - [/b]got it or peanuts, love the sound, very 80s! As long as I can't afford a fretless Wal it's a keeper[/font][/size]

Edited by Bass-Driver

• 3 weeks later...

As i have ever owned only 4 basses, i think i can put the pics from them here...?

Current:

DIY ''Fender'' PJ bass:

[url="http://pove.arkku.net/upload"][/url]

Warwick rockbass 5-string

Previously owned:

Ibanez GSR 200 (My first bass ever)

Aria Pro II RSB-900

Current. G and L 2000 87ish, musicman bfr redwood 4h, ibanez atk 300, ibanez roadstar, ns design 4eub, starforce p bass copy which I defretted and took a spoke shave to the body and repainted.
Past krama frettless probably 70's sold part exchanged for the gl, dayon p bass copy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest teamcoy

My bass story follows, I may well have missed a few but to the best of my knowledge this is the lot.

[b]1[/b] and [b]2[/b]: I started with a [b]Red Squier Precision[/b] which I got for my 17th birthday in 1997, I had this for about three days before going back to the shop and paying a bit extra to get a [b]Red P/J Squier[/b]. To this day I do not know why I picked red, I don't actually like red, a mistake I did not learn from and probably still have not. I sold this on to a friend who wanted a bass after a couple of years.

[b]3[/b]: In July 1997 I went in to a local shop and asked them to order me in a [b]Fender P-Bass Lyte Deluxe[/b], this was my first 'proper' bass and is the only one that I have kept hold of until now. I am a doofus and put some stickers on it which on removing took some tiny particles of the wood away with them. I lived with these missing splinters for about 10 years at which point my mum was kind enough to give it some tlc (it is waxed/oiled mahogany). I still have the original hardware but everything on it has been replaced pretty much except the neck and body. I used it pretty heavily in my early gigging and touring years and my sweat ate through the gold anodisation on the original hardware.

[b]4[/b]: I wanted to try a 5 String and came across a cheap [b]Jackson 5 String[/b], I sold it on, I like 4 strings. It was red, I am definitely a doofus.

[b]5[/b]: I really liked the P-Bass Lyte and one of my friends mentioned I would like the Ibanez Soundgears, I did and when one came up for sale I bought it. It was a black [b]Ibanez Soundgear SR1000E[/b] and after much playing, tinkering and about 12 years I sold it on to our own rogerds, thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169081-no-longer-available-1990-ibanez-soundgear-sr1000e-in-metallic-black-with-kent-armstrong-pickups-and-badass-ii/page__p__1554498__hl__sr1000e__fromsearch__1#entry1554498"]here[/url]. I miss this bass.

[b]6[/b]: I also had a [b]Vintage [/b]Soundgear rip off that was a P/J configuration and looked quite like my P-Bass Lyte Deluxe, think it was mahogany but don't really know, it lasted a couple of years but ultimately was moved on.

[b]7[/b]: I bought another [b]Red Squier P/J[/b] to replace the Vintage, I just wanted something to play at home when gear was in studio lock ups etc. Ended up going to one of my good friends who wanted a bass for home use also. Yes, I did say Red.

[b]8[/b]: I had a hankering for a Gibson Thunderbird but could not afford one at the time and so bought an [b]Epiphone Thunderbird[/b] instead, I really didn't get on with it despite multiple attempts, may have lasted a year or so.

[b]9 and 10[/b]: I walked in to Electro Music in Doncaster one day and someone was selling their early [b]Fender Geddy Lee[/b] on commission there, I played it, fell in love and left with it. I liked this so much that I bought another as a backup, in about 2008 I sold them both as was not playing in a band at that point.

[b]11[/b]: Someone in a local band was playing an [b]Ibanex SRX700[/b], it looked and sounded really nice, I bought one and just didn't get on with it and so off it went. I ended up driving it from Leeds to Norfolk for a buyer, I dropped it off with him, made sure he was happy and he then put it down in front of the radiator. I explained that was a bad idea and he moved it, a month later I received negative feedback as the neck was warped. I am sure we can all guess how that happened. Worst bass experience from start to finish for me.

[b]12[/b]: Our local Sound Control was selling the [b]hot rod red Fender Jaguar[/b]'s, I really liked it but would rather have had it in Blue, I bought it anyway on interest free credit and due to a glitch in the system the paperwork was lost or not filed and I got a free bass in the end. I made a few calls to the credit company to make sure I had no liability, score. Another example of the aforementioned red confusion. This went the same way as the pair of Geddy's in 2008 ish.

[b]13[/b]: I joined another band in 2010, at this point I had sold everything except [b]3 and 5[/b], I ended up getting a [b]Farida FJB-20[/b] while up in Edinburgh with the inlaws for Christmas. I replaced the neck on this for a Precision neck, the original neck was sold to Jimryan on here, I then swapped the body for a FPB-18 body last month with bagsieblue. Resulting in [b]13b[/b], basschat sourced FrankenP.

[b]14[/b]: [b] 2003/4 Fender American Series Precision S-1 in Chrome Red[/b]. Yes, red again, yes, I am a doofus. I really liked this bass, a lot, I only let it go recently as my P-Bass Lyte Deluxe was doing more than it thanks to KiOgon. It is now with 2x18.

[b]15[/b]: [b]Warwick Corvette[/b] German Passive 2004, I swapped this with Rasta for some cabs I was not using. I really liked it, I just no longer felt the love for the Jazz pickups and so I traded it with h8dabass for

[b]16[/b]: [b]G&L Tribute L2000[/b] Swamp Ash Flamed Maple Top, I played this for a while but ultimately sold it on eBay.

[b]17[/b]: [b]Ibanez ATK700 Flamed Maple top in Blue[/b], I bought this about two weeks ago and so still in the honeymoon period but it is bloody brilliant aaaand, it is not red.

Which brings us nicely on to [b]The current herd: [/b]

[b]17 [/b]- All stock (Top)
[b]13b [/b]- (Resulting Bass after all trades), Nordstrand NP4, KiOgon loom, Badass II, Grovers (2nd from top)
[b]3 [/b]- KiOgon loom, Nordstrand NP4, Fender US Jazz in J1, Shed Spirit of the Radio in J2, Badass III (3rd from top)

Sorry for the rubbish pic.

Edited by teamcoy

• 3 weeks later...

[u]Past:[/u]
Bravewood Jazz Bass (1963 and 1964 versions)
Epiphone Viola Bass (2004)
Fender Coronado II Bass (1967)
Fender Jazz Bass (1964, 1972, 1975, 1978, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2010)
Fender Precision Bass (1973 and 1978)
G&L JB-2 (2008)
Musicman Sterling (2008)
Musicman Stingray (1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 and 2009)
Rickenbacker 4001 (1975)
Rickenbacker 4003 (2008)

[u]Current:[/u]
Fender Jazz Bass (1964, 2007 and 2010)

Edited by thebassist

Well the first bass I had was given to me & was a short scale hohner,then I got a Kramer Forum 4 in the eighties followed by a JD supernatural in 80s too( it was my main Bass in the late 80's) then a Warwick nt thumb(91,bought it new & still got it)became my main Bass with the JD as back up.then came the vigier Appege custom frettless 4(it's a really old vintage)I'm still after many basses & guitars & at present I'm on the look out for a new acoustic guitar sorry folks not bass this time)a Gibson sj200 vintage custom.

Reghin factory Jazzbass copy (Romanian made)
Squier Affinity P-Bass
Warwick Corvette Bubinga 5 strings Custom Shop
Ibanez BTB 1305 Prestige
Ibanez BTB 770
Warwick Sreamer LX BN
Ibanez BTB 556
Aria Pro 2 Wildcat Series WCTB 2, PJ
Yamaha BB G5A - still have it, replaced the pups with MEC active soapbars, works like a charm...

Edited by bassus_play

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've remembered them all...

Those which have been and gone:
Tanglewood Stingray copy
Yamaha RBX800a
1977 Fender Musicmaster
Warwick Streamer Jazzman
Warwick Corvette Bubinga active
Aria IGB defretted
Fender American Traditional Jazz
Bitsa fretless Precision
Fender CIJ 62 reissue fretless jazz
Fender CIJ 70s reissue precision
EB Musicman Stingray 3EQ
1977 Fender Jazz
2010 Fender American Standard jazz
Fender MIM road-worn jazz
Fender MIM classic 50s precision
Sandberg Bullet custom fretless
Clover Xpression 15.6 6 string
CIJ Fender Geddy Lee jazz
Bitsa precision

Those which are still here:
CIJ 62 reissue Precision
1963 Hofner Senator
Ibanez ATK 200

• 2 weeks later...

Never actually sold any of my basses (not that I own many) so my current list is:

Peavey International Series - was my first bass, not too bad actually - still play it every now & again.
Washburn 5-string - seriously cheap, was in desperate need for a 5-string on a very limited budget - sounds horrible, plays horrible.
Warwick Corvette Std Active 5-string - bought to replace the above, I love it.
Fender BG31 acoustic - probably play this the most as it's easy & doesn't disturb anyone. Looks nice in Candy apple red & sounds pretty good too (for the money).

• 4 weeks later...

Unknown Aria - owned circa 1994 - my first bass, I played it for two weeks and went back to guitar and sold it on

Tanglewood P-Copy - owned 2002-2004 - went back to bass as it was the only position left in a band I wanted to join. It had a terribly high action and wasn't nice to pla, but money was tight. Sold it on when I left the band.

Unknown active Vintage PJ - owned 2005-2007 - bought this battered and worn bass for pittance, fixed up all its dints and dings with car body filler and sprayed it with black spray paint. Another that was awful to play. Really high action, warped neck but it actually sounded quite good. The bass I started to learn how to play properly on. Eventually sold it on to a fellow musician.

Ibanez SRX350 - owned 2007-2013 - really liked this bass, it had a powerful tone and felt a dream to play compared to my previous instruments. The bass I've owned the longest. Only sold it recently (begrudgingly) to make space for my newbies.

Warwick Corvette $$ - 2008-2010 - the most ill fated big buy of my life. I've always loved the tone of Warwick's and playing this bass in a shop, sat down, it felt like my perfect bass. Playing it stood up with a strap was a different story. I hated it. It got cast aside as my secondary bass to my Ibanez. Part exchanged it in with no remorse.

Lakland Skyline 4402 - owned from 2010 - Amazing bass, versatile preamp that can replicate most fender tones and music man. Plays like a dream. I can't see me ever selling it

Yamaha TRB1005J - owned 2010-2014 - another ill fated big buy. I wanted to try out the waters with a 5string and never really got comfortable with it, I tried pimping it with a better preamp, buffer circuit and a new bridge, but was never happy, part exchanged in for a newbie

Vintage V940FL fretless - owned from 2012 - seen this little budget beauty on eBay and decided I couldn't let it go to waste. You get a lot of bass from the price from the Vintage brand. Its heavy as hell but has a rewarding woody tone with plenty of mwah. Strung with TI flats and sounds great.

Vintage V4 - owned from 2013 - another occasion where I seen this bass at a really good price and couldn't let it pass me by. One of the best budget basses out there. Really good build and a more aggressive tone than the average P-Copy. I use this as my primary practise bass strung with Chromes.

FenderJazz Limited Edition '66 Reissue 2013 MIJ - owned from 2013 - finally made the plunge to buy a Fender being a long time disser of the brand. I finally found one I really loved of theirs. Plays like a dream gorgeous aesthetics and a powerful punchy output.

Home built Fender Precision - built 2013 - I'd been buying parts for this projects for the best part of 2013. Finally got cracking on the project in late October. Fender MIM body, a fender licensed precision 1970's replacement neck made by Mighty Mite, Schaller tuners, allparts scratch plate, hipshot a style bridge, a '58 split coil pickup handwound by the creamery, stellartone tone styler tone pot. It was a tough job with lots of mistakes along the way.finally finished it in late November. Its one of my biggest achievements of late.it plays fantastic and sounds amazing. My primary bass at the moment.

I've had lots down the years, but I never really got into a love affair with any of them, to me it's just a tool. I subscribe to the idea that it's better to buy something like a Squier for a couple of hundred quid and then spending a few hundred more 'Customising' it to my own sound. You see, computers make guitars these days and the woodwork in a cheap one is just as good as the woodwork in an expensive one, thus making a good basis for customisation. I've got an OLP Stingray 4, I bought the natural finish option cos you get an Elm body instead of Basswood, and I've turned it into a pre EB road worn Stingray, complete with string mutes. It's gonna get an EMG classic pick up with an active tone boost. The neck is identical to any Ernie Ball, including the Capstan Wheel truss rod adjuster but minus the Birds Eye Maple, which I can live without. I've also built my own bass from scratch, it has an Ash Stingray shaped body and a Jazz shaped neck with rosewood board and block inlays, it has two Stingray pick ups, an active pre-amp and through body stringing and it sounds amazing, it's a bit heavy however so my next one is on the drawing board. Watch this space

I know I will forget some but here is what I remember :

Ibanez gsr 200 (4s)
Cort B5 (5s, not sure of the model)
Yamaha TRB 1005 fretless (5s)
Aria pro II SB1000 fretless (4s)
G&L L2500 (5s)
Ibanez BTB 1005 EOL (custom shop, 5s)
JP basses Zia 5 (5s, walnut / macassar ebony / ... )
Ibanez ATK 700 (4s, lovely bass !)
Ibanez ATK 405 (5c)
Fender PB NAS (2009, press released, 4s)
Fender JB NAS (2011, 4s)
PJB Status / warmoth (custom made, 4c)
Fender Marcus Miller 5 US (5s, I didn't like it)
L.KAH Dune 005-05 (what a sound, but too much strings for me : 6 )

And currents are in my signature.

Edited by flychris

• 2 weeks later...

My haul is fairly modest:

Past

Westone Thunder 1
Aria Pro II Magna 5-String
Squier Jazz Fretless
Fender Precision Lyte
Fender Precision MIJ
Fender Jazz MIM (The only one I really regret selling - it was wonderful)

Now

Aria Pro II Integra Spirit (and it's a right mess)
Fender Jazz Fretless MIM (My joint favourite)
Stagg AB703 Acoustic
Ibanez SR-406
Ibanez SR-505
Kala U-Bass (My other favourite)