Why become a member? ×

Basses owned ( is one you want amongst these? )

Paul_C

List of Basses I've owned

My first bass:
Hohner headless. I called it the cricket bat.

Then:
Ibanez SR600, I still have this although its in bits with all the hardware removed as I'm refinishing it.
Yamaha BB N5, as I wanted to venture in to 5 string territory. I still have this as it's worth nothing to anyone else but it's sentimental to me.

Squier Vintage modified Jazz. I bought this off a mate in work that needed cash. These basses are great value for money. I have since sold this on though as treating myself to something quality later in the year.

Oh yeah nearly forgot... I had a Hofner violin bass for about 4 month whilst doing a bit of playing for a Beatles tribute act (one of many out there at the time). Only other comment on the playability of this Bass is, "Sir Paul you can keep them". hope I'm not upsetting anybody with that, just my opinion.

Loving all the fellow nutters on this thread! Had a Shergold double neck, and an Avon EB0, a Roscoe Beck 5, a Gibson Ripper, an EB2, EB3, and a Kramer 8 string - all have sdaly gone on to better things, leaving me with a common or garden Fender.

Snorkie

An update from my previous post of 4 years ago ( :mellow: )

[b]Fender Squier standard jazz bass[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]: My first bass; owned this for the first couple of months of playing. Looked pretty good, can't comment on its playability or sound as i didn't have a clue what i was doing back then, however quickly decided that a passive jazz wasn't for me.[/font][/color]

[b]Musicman SUB 4[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]: My first 'proper' bass, if you will. Owned this for around 18 months, learnt to play really with it. Great bass, loved the textured finish and the electronics. Never really liked the almost sticky painted neck. Can't really remember why i sold it, just for change i think :)[/font][/color]

[b]Peavey Grind 6[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]: My first 6 string bass. Lovely wood, had quite a chunky neck and weighed a ton. In desperate need of an upgrade in electronics but otherwise was a great first 6 string. Sold as i again wasn't warming to the passive sound.[/font][/color]

[b]OLP MM3[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]: I owned this very briefly, bought on a whim to give one a go, largely to compare the tone to my Musicman Sub. Didn't like it, felt cheap to play and sound wasn't great, sold on very quickly.[/font][/color]

[b]Fender customised PJ bass[/b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]: Made me a very popular boy on the forum, this one. Perhaps i showed a little immaturity and stupidty in the way i behaved with this one, got it cheap off here and tried to sell it for more. Didn't help my popularity that the eventual buyer very incorrectly but very publicly accused me of trying to sell it as a custom shop bass. Gorgeous bass, played pretty good from what i remember, but ultimately it never sounded the way i wanted so i didn't miss it much when it sold. Had for around 6 months or so.[/color][/font]

[b]Hudson PBS 6: [/b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]My second six string. I thought this bass was awesome, sounded great, really light and played really well. Neck dived a little and the finish was very soft and easy to ding, but a great bass. One of the few basses i regret selling. Owned for a good while.[/color][/font]

[b]Westfield Jazz Bass[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]: My first project, bough it to mod the hell out of it! i replaced the neck, pickups, bridge and knobs, and added a pickup cover, it sounded and looked great! Wasn't exactly a dream to play, but was certainly a much better bass than it started out as. Passive jazzes still weren't my thing so off it went.[/font][/color]

[b]Musicman Stingray 5 'Blue Dawn'[/b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]: Blue sparkle finish, absolutley gorgeous. Fitted a Status Graphite neck to it and decided it was the best bass i had owned. Played fantastically, never sounded like the 4 string stingray i wanted it to but awesome anyway. Sold as i decided i couldn't afford to keep it. A regret.[/color][/font]

[b]OLP MM3 with Status Neck: [/b]Bought this purely for the neck to fit to my real stringray. Fitted the original stingray neck to it, playability and feel improved but basically a similar experience to my previous MM3. Sold along with my Stringray.

[b]Status-Graphite Energy 4[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]: Bit of a bargain from ebay as i remember, needed a bit of a service on the electronics that i never actually bothered to get done, but other than that was a lovely bass, very comfortable and nice to play, and had red led's; my only 'bling'; bass. Sold very quickly as decided it wasn't for me.[/font][/color]

[b]Aria GT5: [/b][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]The replacement for the stingray, a loosely based copy. A million leagues above the OLPs, a great bass for the money. Looked great, played pretty good and the sound wasn't too far away from the real thing. Sold when i temporarily gave up bass.[/color][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828][b]Vintage Relic P Bass: [/b]After not playing for a while, went to sound control in Bristol, tried one of these Vintage relic basses and bought it for a little modding. Fitted a japanese fender pickup and anodised gold pickguard, really enjoyed it. Very light but also had an easy to damage finish, owned for a while before deciding to sell.[/color][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828][b]Warwick Corvette Proline: [/b]Another hiatus from playing and i saw this six string advertised on Bass Direct's website. Went down there and picked it up on the 'Take it Away' scheme. My first Warwick bass and will probably be the last main brand of bass i'll play. Fell in love with the sound, just awesome. Sadly never fell in love with the size of the neck or its six stringyness, so sold it on for...[/color][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828][b]Warwick Thumb NT 4: [/b]Best bass i have ever owned or played, no contest. 1990 model, so handbuilt by 'west' germans, perfect slim wenge/bubinga neck and a stunning chunk of bubinga bodywood. Had this for around 18 months now and can't see it going anywere. Never played a bass i have felt so at home on. Currently strung up with Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinkys and played through a Gallien Krueger combo. I just hope money problems don't make me sell it.[/color][/font]

[b]Harmony Precision Bass: [/b]Got this in a trade with an amp. As good a P bass copy as i have tried, fitted some Schaller tuners, which just don't seem to drop out of tune, and a set of Ernie Ball Extra Slinkys and it plays lovely. Great rock sound, was going to sell but may as well hang on for the moment as for the money i wont find anything i would prefer.

Edited by Kev

WOW!

I don't come anywhere near that.
I have a fretlessw 4 string jazz. jap.
5 string jaz dulux. - my fav!
couple acoustics - dont often play them.
4 string mim jazz. passive. good for the simple dirty bass playing. no frills. love it too.
also just sold my 4 string ibanez. ergo dyme or something. good player but too bright.
small pink one also...dunno why.

Ibanez BTB675 Natural Flat
Rickenbacker 4001 Fireglo
Musicman Stingray Natural Flat Fretless
Gibson SG 1980's Reissue
Hofner 500/1
and a double bass which I have no clue about brand or model!

[attachment=110398:376140_10150339188487944_1943125048_n.jpg]

Edited by dakanoosh

Shine 4-string something or other (my first bass, an 18th birthday present; not one I want to get rid of!)
Epiphone T-bird
Fender MIM precision
Fender MIJ precision (briefly)
Fender Jaguar

Now only the Shine and Jag remain!
[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/img0436cu.jpg/"][/url][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/img0149u.jpg/"][/url][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/photozcm.jpg/"][/url]

• 4 weeks later...

Just nicked this photo posted by a friend on FB

Two Shergolds, an Aria & my Wal in its original glory :)

The silverburst 8 string was originally a Black 4, same as the fretless.

The Aria I only had for a short while, but it did do a session.

The Wal is as it originally was - passive Pro1 and I had probably only just acquired it secondhand from the drummers music shop. It replaced the Aria.

Ah memories. The Wal & Shergolds saw me through some good years looking back (through rose tinted specs probably).

Also has anyone else ever noticed how like the Shergold's the Wal body shape is :o The wal used to fit in my Shergold cut out flightcase almost perfectly!!

Edited by WalMan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In chronological order of me owning them:

1994/95 Squier Jazz
2007 Ibanez GSR200
2007 Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass V
2010 Squier Deluxe Jazz Bazz V (To replace the '07 model which broke)
1986 Fender Precision Bass (MIJ)

I've also gigged with:
Stagg something or other
Tanglewood Rebel 4K
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

And i may be getting my hands on a '62-'64 Fender Fretless Jazz Bass (MIJ).

Liam

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last 20 years of playing, I have bought and sold these:
[list]
[*][size=4]Encore P-bass copy[/size]
[*][size=4]Vester Warwick copy[/size]
[*][size=4]2002 Fender USA Jazz[/size]
[*][size=4]2002 Fender USA Precision [/size]
[*][size=4]1980's Tokai custom edition P bass[/size]
[*][size=4]Gibson Ripper[/size]
[*][size=4]Fender Jaguar[/size]
[*][size=4]Fender American Vintage 57 re-issue[/size]
[/list]

[size=4]I wish I'd kept hold of the Ripper and the Jazz, but I'm happy with what I've got now...[/size][list]
[*][size=4]1980's Musicman Stingray[/size]
[*][size=4]Fender Japan (non-export) Jazz[/size]
[*][size=4]Squier JV P Bass[/size]
[*][size=4]Squier JV P Bass[/size]
[/list]

been playing about 18 months, and in that time, i have gone through a few ol' things.

stagg jazz bass copy (brother still has it, feck knows how i learned how to play on that neck!)
OLP stingray HH 3 band eq. (sold this around march)
11 year old epiphone thunderbird, in bad nick! (didnt have this very long)
OLP stingray standard passive 4 string, orange (recently traded)
OLP stingray standard passive 4 string, tobacco burst (trying to sell)
OLP stingray HH 3 band eq (re-aqquired this month, same one i sold in march)
Hohner fretless jazz bass (only had it 2 days)

so thats averaging about 1 bass every 4 months or something ridiculous! hopefully i can hang on to these couple for a while (apart from the tobacco burst OLP, i need recording equipment)

• 2 weeks later...

Hondo Deluxe Series 830
Aria RSB Deluxe II
Charvel 575 Delixe
Ibanez SR800 Fretless
Jaydee Mark King
Washburn Status
Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5 string
Fender Jazz MIM
Ibanez Doug Wimbish Signature
Ibanez SR505
Fender American Standard Precision
Musicman Stingray 4
Squier VMJ Fretless

• 1 month later...

Ha ha this is fun - if my brain can go back 30 odd years heres my list -ish:

Angelica tele-bass copy 3/4 size
Hohner P-bass copy
Westone Thunder 1A
Tokai Jazz (electric Blue)
Westone Thunder 111 fretless
Peavey T40
Manson Kestrel custom (only one ever made with Tiger Oak and yew - weighed a ton!!!)
Shergold Modulator (brown glow) + fretless neck so I could change 'em around - amended this to a half fretted neck which was fun to play)
Vester P-bass copy
Yamaha RBX250 fretless
Status shark
Manson kestrel fretless
Manson Custom bass (current one still in use)
Ibanez SRG800 fretless
Pedulla Rapture fretless
Manson custom fretless
Ibanex SGR305DX(?) 5 string
Ashbory bass
Hohner B2A 5 string
Vintage 5 string...err...thing --- poss stingray copy ???
Dean pace bass EUB
Peavey millenium BXP x 2 - for teaching with - great basses
Another vintage copy of something....
Peavey millenium BXP 5 string
Fender traditional mexican Jazz
Squier Vintage modified Jazz fretless
Might have forgotten some but I can't think of anything else - I didn't play them all at the same time tho.....

Squier p bass special in white: great all rounder learnt the basics here
Squier jazz bass in sunburst: THE best jazz I've ever played, learnt a lot here played it for around 6 years before making a stupid decision to sell.
Jaydee supernatural roadie active 2: simply the best instrument I've ever played, ever, dad gave it me, had it signed by mark king and can play it like nothing else.
5 string singlecut; can't remember the name was a trans red thru neck and once set up properly played great.
Status energy: not bad, but not really a real status, sold quickly
Squier jazz fretless: dissapointed is one way to put it
Squier jazz vm75: again wasn't impressed at all
Squire jazz vm77: beautiful! Played lovely and did a great Marcus impression with an outboard preamp
Status matrix: great all round bass and would have it back in a second
Status series 3000: beautiful sounding little bass, just been signed by the king, plays fantastic! Not going anywhere

Wish list:
Status kingbass artist
Jaydee series 1 classic
Musicman stingray

Very small list compared to most of you.

Kay Bass of some description, given to me on my 12th birthday after moaning for ages that I wanted to play bass, god knows where it went.
Rickenbacker 4001 copy, Japanese I think, really looked the part and sounded great, sold it on when I lived in Spain.
Westone Thunder, borrowed from a friend, had this for a while, needed something as I had just joined a band.

Nightingale... The band I was in used to practice 50 yards from the shop in Selhurst where these were made, I had seen one hanging in the window and fell in love with it. Took me a while to raise the funds but I got there in the end, was a toss up between the Nightingale and a Musicman, I made the right choice. I visited Bernie Goodfellow at his place in Mitcham/Streatham a while after buying it to get it set up, what a nice chap. This was back in 1992 (ish) and she has been with me ever since.

Westone Concord. I've had it since I was 16 and it's absolutely knackered. Now play an Ibanez GSR200 which I thinmk is a brilliant bass for the money (I paid £90). I would like to buy something a bit more up market and with humbuckers at some stage but the Ibby does what I need it to do and then some.

I have two good ones, an SQ-series P and a Status Hellborg. The good one that got away was a '68 Tele, owner wouldn't sell. You would think the '63 P would have been a good one but it was only fair. And so was the Ken Smith BT-5. I am trying to deliberately think my way through the creation of a good one, but I expect to fail.

• 2 weeks later...

So my list is:

Encore P-Bass (Candy Apple Red)
Fender MIJ Precision (Fotoflame Blue)
Fender MIJ Precision Special (Sunburst, had a scratchplate like a '51 Precision, P/J pickups and stacked knobs).
Bass Collection SB311 Fretless (Black)
Status Empathy 6-String
Status Shark 5-String (Sea foam green)
Status Shark Active 4-String (Sunburst)
Fender MIJ Jazz (Lake Placid Blue)
*Status S2 Classic
EBMM Stingray (Natural)
*Sterling by MusicMan SUB5

Asterisked are ones I currently own. With the exception of the Encore and possibly the 5-string Shark, I regret getting rid of every one of those bases - particularly the Fotoflame Precision!

Basses I've owned

- [b]Ibanez Blazer[/b]. Nice Precision copy. Slowly but surely turned into one big hackjob... I should have let that poor bass the way it was. I sold what was left of it :unsure:
- [b]Ibanez Soundgear[/b]. Active bass. Race monster. Very slim neck. But the thing didn't have any character at all. I got rid of it after a few years
- Music Man Stingray. Ernie Ball era. Wine red. Bridge with felt mutes. Birdseye maple neck. I made it passive at a certain point, which improved the dynamics. Gigged it a lot during the nineties. Sold it a few years ago because I hardly used it anymore.
- [b]Gibson Les Paul Bass[/b] 1969. Shortscale bass. Big Mahogany body. This is the one without the impedance transformer built in. My favorite bass. Best sound I've ever heard. Period. Will never leave the collection.
- [b]Gibson Les Paul Bass aka Triumph[/b] 1973. Shortscale. Big Mahogany body. With the built in impedance transformer and the big black plastic control plate. Sound very similar to the 1969 Les Paul bass. Sold it the other day because I needed some cash. And If I'm looking for that sound I'm always taking the 69 LP anyway.
- [b]Gibson Les Paul Bass prototype[/b] 1968. Shortscale. Very rare. Scored it off Ebay. Sounds awesome. Post are scratchy though. Should take it to a good luthier to have them cleaned.
- [b]Epiphone Newport[/b] 1963. Shortscale. Originally had just the one Mudbucker at the neck Mine has a mini humbucker added at the bridge. Lightweight bass with that typical Andy Fraser kind of sound.
-[b] Epiphone Jack Casady Signature[/b]. Longscale with gold top. I replaced the Elektar pickup for a Gibson Lo-Z from a Les Paul bass. That was an improvement as i thoigh the original pickup was kind of bland.
- [b]CBS LP Bass[/b]. Japanese copy of the Gibson Triumph. However, it is hollow and it has a bolt on neck. The pickups are not lo-z. Neck is plywood!
- [b]Pearl Export Bass[/b]. Made in Japan. Identical to the Epiphone Genesis bass and built in the same factory. Extremely heavy bass. I took out the humbuckers and placed Gibson Lo-z pickups in it. A bass Lo-z at the neck and a guitar Lo-z at the bridge.
- [b]Greco Thunderbird[/b]. Japanese bass. Set neck. Pickups are great. Very similar to the original sixties Gibson Tbird pickups. Awesome bass. Very chunky neck though.
- [b]BaCH Non Reverse Thunderbird.[/b] White. My first project with BaCH. Became quite a success. The one that I have has a rather thick body. All the other series that followed after the first had thinner bodies (more like the orginal sixties Gibson ones) I've changed the pickguard. And I've added a Gibson Tbird pikcup at the bridge. I've also replaced the pots.
- [b]BaCH Semi Acoustic Bass[/b]. Prototype. Should have been a shortscale bass but they accidentally made it long scale. Which turned out to be a beautiful mistake. I told BaCH to make a shortscale series AND a long scale seris of this bass. Still hasn't happened though...
- [b]BaCH Telecaster Bass[/b]. Shortscale. With Spalted Maple Top. I've been gigging this bass a lot lately. Sounds very fifties Precision-like with the single coil. When I switch to the humbucker at the bridge it sounds more like an EB3. Best of both worlds :-)
- [b]BaCH 50-s P[/b]. All mahogany with just the one single coil. This was actually my first BaCH bass. It had an oiled body and oiled neck. I replaced the two saddle bridge with a STB type bridge woith four individual saddles. Sold it because it was uncomfortably heavy and too "Fendery" ;-)
- [b]Guild M85 II.[/b] Short scale. All Mahogany. Bought it after seeing a Sheryl Crow DVD. But I don't look as good as she does. Which left me with a tame bass. So I sold it.
- [b]Brooks Bass[/b]. Built this one myself. Shortscale. Identical shape to the Gibson Les Paul bass. But with flamed maple top. Two G3 single coil pickups at the neck. And one Mudbucker at the bridge. And just one volume pot on the frontside. Plus a chickenhead 6 way rotary switch for all kinds of pickup combinations :yarr:
- [b]Acoustic Bass[/b]. Short scale. Fretless. A work in progress. Hope to finish that one soon...

Edited by Basvarken

[b]Yamaha RBX 270J - [/b]was my first bass I owned what i got for £150, it plays really well for a cheap bass and i would definately reccomend it for beginners.

[b]1961 Burns Sonic Bass - [/b]this a very rare, very unique and very good bass. It plays better than any other bass i have played and is the best bass you could hope to own, depending on your music genre. i got it very cheap for £399.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had nowhere NEAR the ammount some of you have owned but here they are in all their glory;
Encore E83 P-Bass - bizzard white with a 3-ply white scratchplate and rosewood neck, an absolute brute of a bass, really loved it but had to sell when i needed some money. Got £30 from the local music shop for it, i was gutted... would love to own one again.
Columbus P-Bass - three colour sunburst, sold to a gigging bassist that still has it. 11 years later!
Yamaha RBX374 - flamed natural finish, 24 frets, a lovely sounding bass. I still own this, mainly for sentimental reasons.
Aria Pro II - fretless, natural finish, lovely bass, wished i still owned this.
Squier VM Jazz - this is my number one bass, i tried a Fender US J-Bass but still prefered this, i've added a BadAss II bridge and had it set up to exactly how i love it.
Vintage VSeries P-Bass - white with a custom made s/plate, again, a nice bass but i rarely play anything other than my Squier J.
So, whats that? SIX basses in 18 years... not bad.
Funny how i return to P-Basses yet i'd never dump my J.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to feel a definate case of Bass Envy here.

Been playing 30+ years but my list is pretty short.

Owned
Hondo II (First Bass, a freind was supposed to be helping me buy a 6 string as I used to play classical but it turned outto be a bass. He convinced me that I would find a band easier playing bass)
Westone Thunder I (A?) Fretless (Sold it as I needed the space/money and no mater how much I practiced I never sounded like Mick Karn)

Own
Westone Thunder III (Blue/Black stain finish)
SGC/NANYO Bass Collection 5 String (Late 80'S SB305 or 405, not sure which, in Silver)
Ibanez SRX 505-TK

Amps

Marshall 12w Practice amp
Carlsbro Cobra 90W Combo
Trace Elliot GP7, 150W head (With Trace Elliiot 4x10 and EV 1x15 cabs)
Ampeg SVTIII Pro 450W head (Using a Marshall 7215 DBS cab)

I still have the Ampeg Head but no Cab at the moment

I'll chuck my few pence worth into the mix even if this will like like a poor showing compared to most!

Squire Bronco bass (3/4 scale): Got it when I was 9 sold it after 2-3 years of owning it. Thought it was lovely when I first got it and learnt what I needed to learn to get my started till I grew a few inches!

Squire P-Bass Affinity series: Got this one Christmas about 2 years after the Bronco and immediately wasn't seen in public or in my own house for a good few months as I was in my room playing bass all day everyday, well once I got home from school anyway! Still own it and probably will never sell it unlike the Bronco, if I ever have kids they'll learn to play bass on this hopefully!

Traben John Moyer Standard Signature: I've had this bass for the past 4-5 years now, it's an active bass with Rockfield humbuckers and a 3 band EQ, got this bass after trying many many different basses, think it took me 9 months to find this! It plays very well with a modification of the action and some lower gauge strings. Although I do love this bass it's just not me anymore, it's too metal tonally and hasn't got the clarity to cut through the mix. Which is why I'm backing in the market properly looking for something to replace this with :D

The main Basses I've owned from 78 - 81 were;

Fender 67 Jazz Bass - bloody loved this bass why did i ever part with it :(
Rickenbacker 4001 62-64 (can't remember the exact year but have a couple of photos)
Gibson EB3 1975 - Hated it.
Rickenbacker 4001 1974
Aria Pro 2 (78/79) Was okay.
Yamaha (1980) fretless bass can't remember the model but really liked it.

Hindsight's a real sh*t, oh well money isn't everything :lol: