Why become a member? ×

Basses owned ( is one you want amongst these? )

Paul_C

I started playing in 1968 - here is the list:

Egmond Lucky 6 (I think). Amazing bass that has no truss rod. It has been mangled over the years and is now in pieces in my loft.

Upgraded to an Epiphone – not sure what model, but Japanese bought new in 1970. It had the body shape of a P-bass but with two humbuckers. Sold to a mate.

Upgraded again to a 1972 Rickenbacker 4001 with chequered binding. Stunning. Sold it to raise the deposit for a house.

1966 Hofner Violin Bass. Played like a dog and sounded like someone kicking a cardboard box. Couldn’t compare with the Rick, so I sold it for 15 quid. We learn from our mistakes, eh? (Actually we don’t – I also sold a 60s AC30 for 35 quid).

Fender precision – took it in part exchange for the Rick and moved it on within a week.

1973 Fender Mustang Competition. Kiddies bass, but did the job for 15 years. I still have this – it’s awaiting a recondition.

1979 Rickenbacker 4001. I just missed the first one so much that I had to buy another, and it’s still my number 1 bass.

Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5 string. A damned good bass for the money, but the pickups are a bit feeble (a common complaint, I believe).

Squier Precision 5 string. Oh dear. It was clear in the shop that it needed adjustment, but the price was right. The truss rod head stripped as I adjusted it. Gave it to my son for him to play with.

On the way, purchased this week, are a mid 90s Warwick Corvette passive and a 2006 Warwick Corvette active. I will post a conclusion when I have them in my hands

[quote name='pnts' timestamp='1328710201' post='1531458']
Hmm.. you have some impressive numbers here folx!

This is what I can recall in chronological order:

Noname Sunburst Jazz (sold when I bought:)
Westone Thunder (Sold when I bought:)
[b]Daiion MKII (Sold just recently..)[/b]

Cheers!

Pnts
[/quote]

A Daion? Really? Do you have any pics? Did you sell on here?

Edited by chaypup

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

Some great basses !

I have :

A Wal fretless - I think from 1985 (I'll check) a fantastic bass and I'll post a photo.
Fender Jazz - mexican 1995 (played a lot better than the US ones in the shop)
Musicman Stingray 5 - I got it shipped from US in 2004
NS Upright - fairly recent addition, great fun.

I also have a Chapman stick - original hardwood from 1982 - a lovely instrument - again I'll post photo.

Nowhere near as many as you guys.

Michael.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

p-bass (september 2005 - december 2005)
Was my first bass bought for my by dad off of a mate in work. I didnt have it long, and i wish i knew what it was, all i knew was that it was a p-bass shape, could been some gem, but ill never know.

Ibanez xj90 (dec 05 - oct 06
Walked in to a shop and it had pretty colours and 24 frets, so Santa bought me it that year. I part ex it though for my steping stone.

Peavey Grind-6 (oct 06 - may 08)
My first 6 string bass, and ive been hooked ever since on extended range basses. Didnt even know at the time it was a 35" scale XD but i used it through out most of my collage course.

Gavaston 8-string (may 08 - dec 10)
My 8 string MONSTER 26 freted 12kg beast! I loved it! I bought it for fun, but found my self never using the peavey so sold it and just used the 8 string! But at the end 2010 i sold her to get somthing smaller and it just became to much. Reeeeeeally with i just detuned her, wrapped her up and put her under my bed, i even giggd it all up and down the west coast of australia.

Weststone Tunder llA (jan 11 - march 11)
This was a bass i borrowed off of a mate. Didnt really like it, but it was a bass for a bit.

Ibanez SR 886 (march 11 - oct 11)
This bass was given to me because it didnt work. I replaced the jack input and it worked great! Was also going to lead ne on to my next 6 string.

Ibanez SR506 (june 11 - still own)
This is now my main. Gigging bass, what a beast!

Blade teltra standard (march 11 - still own)
The nicest 4 string i have ever played, i only use for teaching though these days.

1989 jap Fender Jazz fretless (oct 11 - still own)
Sitts on s wall mount in the living room mostly but offrn come wiyh me to jam and open mic nights.

Hudson pro series double bass (sep 11 - still own)
Love it, gig it often. Bought it when i started uni. Just wanted to make my self more employable and to see if i got on with it. Now play it every day.

Music man bongo 6 (will have one soon!)
Been eyeing one up. Who knows.

We was fun to list them and see what i have had and when. Was a great little trip down memory lane!

Cheers all!

Peter Cullen Bsssist

[b]Westfield P copy[/b] [b]in Transparent Turquoise[/b]
My first ever bass. Just awful. Pretty though. Bought when I was 14 and sat in a gig bag in the corner of my room for six months before being sold on.

[b]Ibanez GSR-190 in Transparent Red[/b]
My "first" bass. Actually plays really nicely. The sound isn't bad, but I might swap the pickups one day. I'm slowly adding more and more stickers to it. I plan on getting a couple of Nyan Cat stickers and putting the cat at the first fret, then running the rainbow all the way down the neck. It has two black knobs and one chrome, and one black machine head, the other three are chrome. I'm thinking about swapping the bridge out for a black one and mix and matching black and chrome saddles. It's currently sporting some pretty orange DR Neons, but the coating is wearing off pretty badly now, and they suddenly went horribly dull, so they might get switched out soon.

[b]Epiphone Korina '58 V Reissue[/b]
My workhorse. Beautiful, easy and fun to play, great sounds. All stock, and I plan to keep it that way. Only thing I don't like is the neck dive, but, I don't really mind it. The rest of the guitar makes it worth it.

[b]Tanglewood Evolution Acoustic [/b]
Bought on my 18th birthday just because. I love how it looks, and it plays and sounds pretty goddamn nice. It's bigger than me, which can be a bit awkward sometimes mind.

[color=#ff0000][b]NEW: [/b][/color][b][color=#000000]Jaxville Series II Demon Custom Bass[/color][/b] (or something)
Anticipating delivery tomorrow. Supermarket brand bass that I'm basically buying for the body. Planning on changing everything else.

Other than that I think I've probably settled on getting a T-40 as my next decent acquisition. Not much of a history so far, but I intend to amass a collection that will make gods weep. >.>

This isn't hard for me.

unknown year Kay P-bass copy - weighed a ton - gave it away but not until about 1990
1983 Fiesta Red/4ply tort Squier JV 62 Precision bought new - I still have this.
2011 Charger Green/4ply tort Warmoth P-J - I made this in December, Alder body/Birdseye Maple slim taper J neck/Rosewood 20fret board/Fender original P pup/ Allparts J pup - I still have this.

I am now GASing for a Warmoth hollow Custom T c/w f hole and front and rear binding with a J width Tele headed neck and a single coil shaped pup but favouring a stacked humbucker......I just loved making my Warmoth

Edited by Twigman

Not exactly overdoe it in this department!

[b]Westone Thunder 1A[/b]
My first bass, I thought it was pretty good at the time. Bought for about £150 of a mate who had 'upgraded' to an Aria Pro II SB-700

[b]Aria Pro II SB-700[/b]
From said mate who moved to a 70's Precision (he thought he was Sid Vicious). Loved this bass, should never have sold it! Bought for £100 (he needed the money). Then a few years later (around '94 IIRC) I needed the money so had to sell it. A guitar shop in Wolves (whose name I shall refrain from mentioning) told me it was worth no more than £40 - including a flight case! At the time I knew no better and, like I said, was in need of cash. Have since vowed never to set foot in that shop again (yes, they are still going).

[b]Ibanez SR-300[/b]
Latest bass, having decided to have another go at the ripe old age of 42. Just got a 'proper' set up doe on it (fret dress, the lot) and it's just great.

Still hark back to that Aria and always on the lookout for an original '80s [b]SB-1000[/b]........

Hmmm, thinking back I've actually had a few!

Squier P - '02-'07
Stagg PJ - '03-'05
Washburn XB600 - '05-'11
Yamaha RBXJM1 - '07 - '11
Wishbass Peanut (Fretless 6) - '07-'09

All these next ones have passed through my hands between December 2010 and now!

MIM Fender Jazz 5
Fender P Fretless with an '83 neck but an '05 Squier(?) body
MIJ Fender 'Sting'
Spector NS2-b

So quite varied I suppose! I think I'm settled on my Ibanez Blazer though. I doubt I'd ever need anything else. Of course, I'll buy and sell more basses in the meantime because it's fun, but I use the Blazer every day.

Truckstop

interesting list of stuff here,
I started in 1981 with
Tempest SG shaped bass. (same as a Kay)
2 years later and late 70's Fender Musicmaster
6 months later, Manson Explorer bass,
then in 1986 traded that for an Aria SB-R150
then when I started gigging hard they came and went,
Vox white shadow fretless
another aria, with P & J p/ups
Gibson EB0
late 70s P bass, maple board
mid 70s P bass, rosewood board
Hamer Scarab
Hohner steinberger copy
Washburn B-2A
Guild B301
Jaydee Mark King
Rick 4001
'62 P bass
'62 re-issue P bass
'75 P bass, which I bought in 1990 and am still gigging with
(this shows you the time line
Status 4000
another Manson explorer with an abelone tiger inlaid into it
another Jap P bass
that was it till about 2000,
all I had was the 75 P bass

then came,
Fender P bass Lyte
Musicman SUB
Fender Sting bass
Hofner contempory violin bass
fender jazz bass special
Fender japan, 70's reissue maple board fretless
squier Jazz stripped back to wood and oiled (to look like Stings old jazz)
retrovibe rv4 *icken*acker copy. (sold just 2 weeks ago)

I think that's it.
I'm in a Police tribute band, hence the fretless and Sting bass.

my number 1 is still my 75. Used it last night. an incredible bass.

I wish I had pictures of them all

Aria Pro II
Ibanez sr 3005 prestige
ibanez SR 500
Fender Jazz 2002 MIA
Ibanez artcore agb 200
Fender P MIM
Fender P MIA
Ibanez Sr 1200 premium
Cort curbow
Schecter stiletto
Hofner 4005
Fender MIA P Bass
Italia rimini
Ibanez RD 900 FMN
Vintage Musicman copy
Vintage P Bass
Vintage Tony butler sig
Fender Mike Dirnt P Bass

Thats about all i can remember for now Love my P Basses But if i could have any of them back again it would have to be the Ibanez Artcore bass Just felt soooo right!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326324373' post='1495642']
A few I remember off teh top of my head.

Epiphone Thunderbird IV
Epiphone Viola bass thing.
Epiphone Jack Cassady Sig, sounded amazing with flats.
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Power Jazz Special (what duff's is based on and with the graphite layer in the neck)
Fender MIM Jazz Std.
Fender MIA P-bass Std (Chrome red, S1)
Fender MIM Mark Hoppus Sig
Fender MIA '95 Jazz Deluxe
Squier VM Jazz
Bits-a-Jazz (mainly fender US parts and Fender lisc parts)
EBMM SUB Bass
EBMM 95 Stingray 4H
EBMM Big Al (custom order)
Warwick Corvette $$

Currently Own:
EBMM '95 Sterling Bass

Amps:
Orange PA120 (IIRC)
Orange AD140HTC
Marshall MB4210 (terrible but opened me to hybrid heads)
Ampeg SVT III-pro
Orange TerrorBass (500)
MarkBass LittleMark Tube 500 (2 of)
TC Electronic RH750
MarkBass F1
Eden WTX500
Genz-Benz Streamliner 900

Cabs:
Orange PPC 4x12 (2 of)
Carlsbro 4x12
Barefacsed Compact (2 of)
Barefaced Midget
Barefaced SuperTwelve T
Ampeg 806HE

I've only been playing 2 and a half years....

editted for amps and adding ones I forgot about haha,
[/quote]

Changes

here goes:
Avon ebo copy - 1st bass....rubbish!!
1959 Fender Precision - wish I'd kept this...
1970s Rickenbacker 4001
Columbus fretless Precision
Hohner B2A fretless
Hohner Jack Pro
Hohner Jack 5 string (which had jazz EMGs, not like the EMG select humbuckers on the 4 string - not as good.)
Hartke bass
MM Stingray
Vintage ES96 MM copy

current lot as in signature.

GASing for WAL 4 or 5 string, early pre EB MM Stingray, Stingray 5 string.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I feel like I have had so few basses compared to some.

I have never owned a high end bass, I actually prefer the lower end quirky stuff. ( Not that I wouldn't ever say no to say, a JB, or the like ;)

First bass - Yamaha RBX350 in dark blue. Can't remember it fully.

Taglewood ( I think it's a Bassmaster, see the thread I made asking in help identifying it ) - still have t. Lovely tone when it's working.

BC Rich NJ warlock 5 - awesome punch, but the looks, andthe fact it got dinged on EVERYTHING put me off completely.

Epiphone Thunderbird - Hateful HATEFUL bass. Tone was dead, balance was crap and neck dive was atrocious.

Vintage EST96 - Being modified (by me), painted and maybe a new pup down the road. Not the best tone, pretty dead with the standard pup but ok as a backup.

Kramer D-1 disciple - Current main player, love it, can't fault it!

Fleabass Model 32 water - Heard LOTS of horror stories, but mine seems to be a diamond in the rough. NONE of the problems I have read about and is great fun to play, Very fast neck! It actually surprised me when I played it through my cab. Very nice sound! Will definitely be coming to gigs ;)

Edited by deefer_dog

Ibanez GSR200 in transparent red. I've still got it. It now has a cut up tshirt super-glued to it because I got bored of the red finish. It has a bunch of ferrules in the back for through-body stringing, but they're not aligned with anything - neither each other nor the bridge - so they're unused. It has one incredibly low output (supposedly) original 60's fender p-bass pickup that an old bass teacher gave me for free, and one really high-output seymour duncan quarter pounder jazz pickup that's badly wired and noisy as hell. This is what happens when you let a 16 year old near a bass with a drill and a soldering iron.

Tanglewood Warrior III brown. Semi hollow bass with a music man style pickup. Don't remember much about it. It was probably a pretty nice bass for the money looking back.

Warwick Corvette $$ trans black. Sounded great but was hard work to play. Then the stupid fiddly adjustable nut broke and I got bored with it so I sold it to a guy in Canada.

Kramer Baretta II blue. An Ebay purchase, I never liked the pickups or the neck or anything about it really. I bought it mostly because it was a neck-thru for less than £300. Sold shortly after purchase, don't remember how/where/who.

Yamaha BB614 old violin sunburst (tobacco burst). Still got this one, it served me really well through my uni years. Cheap, comfortable, sounds decent. Never quite liked the look of it, but I don't play bass to look good - I don't do much to look good really :P The more I played it the more I decided I didn't like the active preamp and wished I'd got the passive version. one of these days I'll just rip all the electronics out and wire the pickups directly to the blend and then to the jack socket.

Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass black. I've never been so happy with a stock spec bass before. I love everything about it.

Fender Aerodyne Precision bass natural. Bought this off Ebay to compliment the jazz bass. It sounds a lot warmer to my ears than the jazz which is quite tight and precise sounding. I'd wanted one of these for bloody ages, chased them on ebay for about a year, missing and losing auctions. Glad I finally got a natural finish one though, it would have bugged me if I'd lost patience and bought a blue or a red one.

Edited by electric nate

Unfortunately space where I now live is at a premium so at present I own a Mazetti short scale, a J & D Brothers jazz bass copy, a stagg EUB and an Archer contrebass. Also rebuilding a hofner violin bass.

I don't think the number of basses you own really matters as you can only play one at a time (unless your an octopus, the god Shiva, or had some serious transplant surgery,)

Basses owned (in order of purchase - I think!):

[b]Peavey International Series 4 string (first bass)[/b]
OLP MM3 - 5 string
Pedulla Rapture - 5 string Soapbar version
SGC Nanyo bass collection - 5 string, didn't dig it too much
Musicman Stingray - 3EQ, 4 string version
1978 Fender Precision - weighed a ton!
[b]Fender Geddy Lee Jazz[/b]
[b]MTD 535[/b]
[b]Double bass - Zeller 3/4 size [/b]
[b]Spector Euro 4LX[/b]
[b]Spector Euro 5LX[/b]
[b]Sandberg VM-5[/b]

Not as many as I anticipated tbh. In all honesty I've probably run through far more amps. Still own all the bolded ones.

Amps:

Peavey microbass
Behringer BX3000T -> Laney R115
Ashdown ABM500 evo II -> Ashdown ABM410/Laney R115
Ampeg SVT3 -> Ampeg SVT410 and SVT115
Mesa Big Block 750 -> 2x Epifani UL410s (2nd series) - very smooth sounding rig :)
Ampeg SVP preamp -> Mesa Strategy 400 -> SVT115
[b]Mesa 400+ -> Matamp 410 [/b]
Ampeg SVT810
Orange TerrorBass 500 -> Mesa powerhouse 210.

Jesus that's a lot of gear. And I'm thinking of moving on my current rig. Jeez. UPDATE: Not any longer, completely fallen in love with it again.

Edited by ashevans09

• 3 weeks later...

Randomly spitting them out as they come to mind:

Sunn Mustang P-bass (the pointy headed version, not the p-bass clone)
Aria MAB20/5 (still have it)
Aria MAB40
Westfield P
Ernie Ball Stingray 4 (2 EQ)
Ernie Ball Stingray 5
Ernie Ball Bongo 4HH
Ernie Ball Bongo 5HH
Goodfellow 4
Wal 4
Warwick Corvette 4
Shuker 6
Fender USA P 4
Fender MIJ 70's P
Fender Roscoe Beck 5
Lakland Skyline Ltd Ed JO 4
Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub
Lakland 55-01
Status S2000
Status S3000
Hohner Jack 4
Ibanez ATK700
Dingwall Afterburner 1

Enjoying trapping through these lists people, although it feels a little voyeuristic to be watching a mans love list! Just a few for me:

MIJ '92 silver series jazz (first bass still have, still love: the thing does a shimmy when you dig in :)

Bass collection SB505 - pearl white (my first love affair with a low B: even if a little wobbly!)

Spector euro 5 - quilted maple natural thru (this thing was killer but I found myself in a super tight spot where I needed cash ON the day so took I to wunjos on Denmark st. who palmed me £400 for it: still hurts to remember!)

MIM jazz - sunburst (same one available new now). Handy workhorse and nice tone now paired with some laBellas and a badass II.

Cort acoustic - great, warm sounding piece of wood

Warwick streamer $$ 5 Nat from the fellas at the bass gallery that I had padded out with a 3 band Aguilar Pre (my main man!) great playability as youd expect from a wick and tone for days: although hardly touch the humbucker switches as I generally prefer the clarity of the single coil settings)

And one I won't mention yet that may be on it's way to me! ;) once it's in my lap I'll be sure comment.

I've only got one more to add but as I am happy with what I've got now, and unlikely to be adding to it, I shall put the full list up, as short as it is.

[s]Westone Raider I[/s]
[s]Satellite P Bass[/s]
Westfield Small Body
Aria Pro II MAB 20/5
Cort T-35
B.C. Rich Warlock NT

Satellite precision copy - natural with white scratchplate and black strings - really god awful thing that had odd shaped silver-coloured plastic heads on the tuners, one of which inevitably broke. I was only a wee boy at the time and crafted my own Fender Precision Bass headstock logo, part of which was cut from a magazine. This was really unconvincing - especially with sellotape over the top.
Hondo II precision copy - loved this actually because, after the Satellite it had Schaller elephant ears :-)
70s Fender Musicmaster short-scale - loved this one too - especially since it had elephant ears AND the black Fender logo (hey I was young). It was aged white with black plate and rosewood fingerboard and I bought it from a mate for £50.
Aria Pro II fretless - wouldn't stay in tune - think it may have been the truss-rod
Fender Jazz Bass Special - black (had it from new and wish I'd kept it)
Wilkes percussive fretless - British bass with powered metal transducers at the heel of the neck to permit slapping.
1985 Music Man StingRay 2EQ - white with black scratchplate and 4 bolt maple neck, mutes etc. (had it from new and don't really miss it)
1974 Fender Jazz - 4 bolt maple neck with pearl blocks, mocha, big logo (my main instrument)
1994/5 Fender '51 Reissue Precision - butterscotch blonde with Seymour Duncan quarter pound pickup - (very unpleasant to the naked eye, but plays and sounds nice)

CB

Edited by cloudburst

Wow, not much love for Tobias's in here then :P

Anyway, my story was

Started on an Epiphone Embassy Special IV in cream white (badass II and SD SPB-3 modded) then went on to a BC Rich Mockingbird Heritage Classic Series IV in black with quilted maple thru-neck, then I got my Tobias Toby Pro IV-B in trans red as a back up to the BC Rich but then I realised the Toby was better so that became my main gigging bass. After a while, I got 2 Fender P bass copies both same spec (alder body, maple board, SPB-3 pick ups, badass II bridges and mirror pickguards) that became my main gigging pair for 6 months until my old band split up. During those 6 months, I had a short scale Columbus EB-3 copy which just wasn't for me so it went very quickly. When the band split up I sold the 2 P-Bass copies, my Ashdown EB-15-180 amp and the BC Rich Mockingbird because money was really tight (I lost my job at the same time) and just kept the Tobias.

After getting back in to gigging again nearly a 18 months later and getting a new bass rig (I'm talking a year I started gigging again here), I got myself the Fender Steve Harris signature Precision Bass which has been my primary gigging bass since I retired the Tobias as it held too much sentimental value to me so I didn't want it getting damaged.

Since I got the Steve Harris signature, I have bought an 87 Fender Precision Bass which was in need of a complete restoration (still on-going), a Squier VM Jazz 77 Jazz bass which has been customised (check the build thread) and a Spector Legend 5 Classic in cherry red but that went not long after buying it as I couldn't get on with the extra string. The Tobias has since been re-sprayed to get rid of any chips/scratches then had a black Badass II fitted as well as a Dave McKeen pre-amp fitted (extra hole drilled for mid-switch) and Schaller strap locks (again, black!). Soon it will be getting a set of Seymour Duncan active black out pick ups and a Hipshot GB7 drop tuner.

I have got serious GAS for a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass or Fender Japan Aerodyne Jazz Bass (not the one with the pickguard) and Spector Euro4LX in white with the P/J pick up configuration. I will own both some time soon ;)

Edited by StevieD_FenderP2009

Here are mine:

Fender Am. Vintage '62 Precision Bass ('82)
Fender Am. Vintage '62 Jazz Bass
Gibson Les Paul Oversized Bass
Gretsch Broadkaster Bass

Previously owned:

Warwick Streamer Stage I 5 strings

Much happier now... :)

• 2 weeks later...

List of Basses I've owned

My first bass:
Hohner headless. I called it the cricket bat.

Then:
Ibanez SR600, I still have this although its in bits with all the hardware removed as I'm refinishing it.
Yamaha BB N5, as I wanted to venture in to 5 string territory. I still have this as it's worth nothing to anyone else but it's sentimental to me.

Squier Vintage modified Jazz. I bought this off a mate in work that needed cash. These basses are great value for money. I have since sold this on though as treating myself to something quality later in the year.

Oh yeah nearly forgot... I had a Hofner violin bass for about 4 month whilst doing a bit of playing for a Beatles tribute act (one of many out there at the time). Only other comment on the playability of this Bass is, "Sir Paul you can keep them". hope I'm not upsetting anybody with that, just my opinion.