Why become a member? ×

Basses owned ( is one you want amongst these? )

Paul_C

Pre Internet lay off....1977 - 1990

Satellite Jazz Bass
Ibanez Destroyer :-)
Gibson short scale thing
Aria Pro II
Another Aria Pro II

Post Internet lay off and subsequent GAS from it..........2003 - Current :-)

Some sort of Kramer
Warwick Fortress Masterman
Fender Jazz Black Maple
MM Sterling Honey
Fender Jazz sunburst
MM Stingray orange
MM Stingray sunburst
Modulus VJ4
Fender Jazz 75
Warwick Thumb Bleached Blonde
MM Stingray Black
Sadowsky NYC
Fender Jazz Deluxe
MM Sterling Blue
Modulus Flea 4 Silver Sparkle
Sadowsky Metro *************************************
Fender Jazz 66
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender Precision 68
MM Stingray Black
Sadowsky Metro Maple
Black Fender Jazz
Fender Jazz 63
Overwater Progress 5 String
Pre EB Stingray
Fender Precision 73
Fender Jazz 1965 ********************************
MM Sterling RW
Fender MIM fretless jazz ***************************
Modulus Flea 4 1997 Black *************************
Bravewood custom 60s jazz ************************

The ************* mean I have still got.

Basses I've owned (in chronological order)

1984 [b]Kay shortscale[/b] plywood piece of crap. The neck was so warped I had to play it on my lap and fret the notes with my thumb.
1985 [b]Hohner Jazz copy[/b]. Not too bad. Maple board, but not really up to Marcus impressions then ('Marcus who?') First gig with this one.
1986 [b]Hondo[/b]. Insane thing with zebra stripes, pointy headstock and a P-MM pup config. Well, I was in a Goth band after all.
1986 [b]Aria 'The Cat'[/b]. Not bad at all. Had it defretted. Got gigged a lot.
1988 [b]Hohner 'The Jack'[/b]. Very fond memories of this; my major Mark King phase. Strung with 30/90s. Had a little light on it!
1989 [b]1976 Fender Precison fretless[/b]. Really should have kept it, but student debts were too massive.
1990 [b]Fender Jap Jazz standard[/b]. Nice. Modded with MEC pups and Badass by Bass Centre.
1991 [b]Ibanez SR1000[/b]. Lovely neck. A bit anonymous sounding though.
1993 [b]Fender Jap Jazz 62 reissue[/b]. Sunburst. What the hell happened to this one?
1994 [b]Warwick Thumb 4[/b] (s/h). Not a great example, but hey it was a Thumb.
1995 [b]Fender Jap Jazz 62 reissue[/b], LP Blue. Sold to one of my students :)
1997 [b]Musicman Stingray 4[/b]. Never really got on with Rays, but that didn't stop me from buying...
1998 [b]Musicman Stingray 5 fretless[/b]. Could have done a lot more with this bass, but was usually too busy playing...
1998 [b]1970 Fender Jazz[/b]. Black, bit gnarly, amazing sound and feel. Flogged to fund hols with g/f. ARSE.
2001 [b]Fender US Jazz Deluxe[/b]. My main squeeze for quite a while. Very reliable, well thought-out, a pleasure all round.
2005 [b]Warwick Dolphin Pro 1[/b]. The original thru-neck version. Really liked it, but just not me somehow.
2005 [b]1972 Fender Jazz[/b]. Sunburst. Nice and light, really good condition, but the sound wasn't quite right for me.

And the ones I currently own:

2005 [b]1978 Fender Jazz[/b]. Black. My soul bass.
2006 [b]Aria SB Elite II[/b]. God I love it. Best passive sounds I've ever heard.
2006 [b]Zon Sonus fretless[/b]. A great, great neck. More mwah than you can shake a stick at and weirdly slappable too.
2007 [b]Zon Sonus fretted[/b]. Flame maple top. I knew it would be good and I was right. Seen once or twice in the for sale section of Bass Talk.
2007 [b]Sadowsky MV70 Vintage Jazz[/b]. A bit better than the last maple-board Jazz I owned 23 years ago :huh:

To be honest, an awful lot of these were a complete waste of time. I could have stuck with any one of the Jap Jazzes I've owned and been the same musician I am now. The one I really regret letting go is the 1970 Jazz. Now I'm gassing for a good 5, or maybe a maple board Precision.

Amp wise, for the first three years of playing the bass I used a plastic Korean guitar combo that would frequently electrocute me. Had to constantly borrow amps to gig with (remember the Session bass combos? Ah...). Then I got into Peavey in a big way and wound up with a TNT 150 and one of those bi-amp powered 2x8" cabs that went on the top. Really great sound. Used a GK MB150E for many years, but now have a small Eden rig with a WT400 and a 210XLT. It's been a bit of a revelation.

Keep meaning to post pics of the current bass crop...

Jones

Edited by Brother Jones

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='43029' date='Aug 8 2007, 07:54 PM']And the ones I currently own:

2005 [b]1978 Fender Jazz[/b]. Black. My soul bass.
2006 [b]Aria SB Elite II[/b]. God I love it. Best passive sounds I've ever heard.
2006 [b]Zon Sonus fretless[/b]. A great, great neck. More mwah than you can shake a stick at and weirdly slappable too.
[b]2007 [b]Zon Sonus fretted[/b]. Flame maple top. I knew it would be good and I was right. Seen once or twice in the for sale section of Bass Talk.[/b]
2007 [b]Sadowsky MV70 Vintage Jazz[/b]. A bit better than the last maple-board Jazz I owned 23 years ago :)

Jones[/quote]

Not often I regret selling a bass however I still have pangs of regret whenever this one is mentioned!

[quote name='Paul_C' post='23105' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:15 PM']I thought my total of basses previously owned had peaked at 55 (including the 10 I have right now), but I have remembered another 3 today, so that's 58 :)

I haven't got pics for many of them, but I thought a list might amuse ..

Aria P bass copy (my first bass, I was given it by a friend)
Maison (Bass Collection's cheap range)
Squier Jazz (one of the first, wish I'd kept it)
Gibson Thunderbird (s/h knackered, horrible, I took it back and bought the Maison instead)
Yamaha SBV/SBs (16) The Collection, now down to just two
Yamaha SB-2s (2) still got these, they need shifting
EB Musicman StingRays (4)
Rickenbacker 4003s (4)
EB Musicman Bongos (4) bought another one (a 4HH/P) so the total stands at 5 now
Pedulla Rapture J2
Epiphone EBO
Dean acoustic
Washburn AB10 acoustic
Status Stealth 4
Status Stealth 6
Fender Precision '78
Fender Highway One Precision
Fender Std. Jazz
Lakland Skyline Jerry Scheff
NS CR4MG upright
Daisy Rock Butterfly
Aria Pro II
Modulus Sonic Hammer
Modulus Jazz
Fender MB5
Westone Thunder 1A
Westone Thunder II
Yamaha Attitude I
Fender Jaguar
Fender Urge I
Levinson Jazz
Ibanez Sr305
Squier Bronco
There's probably more that I've forgotten about, but that's the total for now :huh:[/quote]
.........As it happens,I average a different Bass every two weeks or so!! That means I've literally owned thousands of 'em..I do move them on eventually...My current ones are;..Tokai J f/less...Yamaha Attitude 5 f/less..Jap Jazz[62]...USA Jazz...Usa Jazz 5...Ibanez SR886...Music Man Custom by Haigh guitars...Ibanez RS999....Aria Pro2 RSB Deluxe....Stall 5[France]..Pedulla Rapture 5...Not to mention my Guitars!.I'll grow up some day

Jeez, previous posts make my 30 years of bass ownership pretty seem pretty inadequate……

Starting in 1977;
1. Kalamazoo copy of Fender Mustang (late ‘60’s) Kalamazoo was Gibson’s budget brand at the time (USA made though), and it showed; nasty chipboard body; the pickups and hardware exactly as EB3 (ace, apart from bridge), sounded like slapping a log with a dead haddock. Looked the mutts nuts though, and as a young punk I loved it.
2. Columbus Jazz bass copy. Had to get a long-scale as my arms had finally grown. Slightly better materials (plywood this time), stuck the neck pick-up from the Kalamazoo on it which gave it a huge dub sound. Swapped it for a bike.
3. Ibanez Artist Musician. First “proper” bass – I wanted one because Sting had one – and the only one ever bought new – from Hessey’s in Liverpool, of Beatles fame. Fabulous bass, if a bit characterless. Swapped it for a motorbike.
4. Fender Precision fretless copy (unknown custom). Learned my DIY re-finishing, routing, and pick-up installing/re-wiring skills on this one – boy did it look a mess by the end. I did a really nifty “F—ker” label on the headstock in “Fender” script which fooled everyone.
5. Gordon Crook custom fretless 4, Wal-shape, neck-through, Sapelle mahogany body wings, two “J” pick-ups, active. Got this dirt cheap being scruffy as anything and an unknown make, and it was a real gem. I made a decent job of re-finishing in satin poly and changed the p/u’s for Bartolinis (also cheap s/h ones), and it saw me through most of the late 80’s - 90’s. Wish I still had it.
6. Music Man Sabre (1980) – see avatar. Hankered for a fretted bass again about seven years ago, after getting back into hard rock. Now my main bass, just does anything, and for funk/slap blows anything else I’ve tried away.
7. Custom/Music Man “Stingray” fretless (1980/2001); The Sabre had a MM factory replacement maple-f/b neck, but also had its original rosewood-f/b neck still with it which had a split fingerboard due to over-tightening of the truss-rod. I had a luthier put a fretless fingerboard on it (African Blackwood) and did the rest myself – body in Bubinga with Thuja burr top, Seymour Duncan p/u and active EQ. Really pleased with it, although I made the body about half an inch too thick so it weighs a ton. (see pics)
8. Ovation Magnum 1 fretless (1979). Always wanted one since I saw Barry Adamson of “Magazine” using one, strange ‘70’s styling but a really soulful, individual voice, built like a tank, and the fastest neck I’ve ever tried.
9. Listerud Totem 7-string custom (2004). Bought this on BassWorld, and just sold in on BassChat – I’d been considering a 5 as my band was doing a lot of low-B stuff, saw this and figured it’d be the last ERB I’d ever need. Awesome, awesome bass, but just too many strings for a dyed-in-the-wool 4-stringer like me.
Just bought (on BC of course) and soon to collect, a ’73 Precision modded to fretless and to P-J p/u configuration. My first genuine Fender ever, and like the Beedster it could be a case of full circle and back to basics.
Interesting thread - do a similar one on amplifiers?

i listed my current ones in the signature thingy...

theres some pics in the blog section of my myspace

[url="http://www.myspace.com/mosesbassmusic"]myspace[/url]

In order.. current ones are in bold!
Squire Precision
Hamer Chaparalle
Musicman Stingray
Status Energy (wood)
Musicman Sterling
Status Energy (graphite)
Status Energy (wood, bought it back from shop!)
Fender Jazz Fretless
Musicman Stingray Fretless
[b]1977 Fender Precision
FrankenP (60's / 70's parts with Dark Star pickup)[/b]
Lakland USA 5594 Deluxe
[b]Homemade Fretless Bass (Jazz Body, P Neck, Twin Dark Stars)
1971 Gibson EB3L
Tacoma Thunderchief Fretless
RS Guitarworks "True Blue" P Bass(on its way!)[/b]

Edited by tanuki

one's I can remember. Few compared to many listed here ....WOW!!!! BTW that's a LOVELY Sabre Fretless!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!
1974- Sakai EB-O copy -short scale
'78(or 79 or sumthin) Ibanez P copy Silver series
1981 Fender Precision(2nd hand-probly a mid 70's model)-which was MY one & only gogging bass for yrs until it was stolen (w/ my amp & cab etc)in Melbourne in '88.
'89- Ibanes Roadster P bass
'91- Ibanez SR405 5 str.-again while I built up my rig again-BIG thanx to friends who lent me amps-A Fender Silver face Bassman 100-(all tube late '70's I think)-JBL Spkr in a EV cab.-Thanx Robbie!!!!!!
2000- MIA Fender Jazz
'03 MIJ Fender Jazz
04- Franken Precision special(PJ)-from all sortsa parts- still got this & is a beauty!
05- Palatino EUB- modded to sound NICE-still got
'05 EB MM 'Ray 5- sill got...love it-
06 Squier Precision Standard 5-anniversary edition-seems 2 be just a gem amongst.....
has 2 J pups & all the growl U could want!
Fender Precision MIJ with Telecaster bass neck- currently upgrading pots/pups/bridge

Not as large as many here... but did me fine. After having my WHOLE rig & bass stolen
in '88 i didn't play 4 a year. But gradually built up enough stuff to be able to give the aforementioned 'Robbie' his Bassman 100 back. I bougfht the Eminar Valve PA head(180w-EL34's) Lovely round sound- this was my MAIN gigging head for 10+ yrs-along w/ the JBL spkr in the EV TL115 cab. Eventually-again- I bought a MESA/EV 400w spkr to go in the EV cab & gibe Robbie back his JBL(I bought the empty EV cab earlier)-SO NOW I had ALL my own gear!!!! YAY!!!!!!!
As I've said B4- NO back up amp was EVER used-never needed it either!(who says tube amps aint reliable??????) later- sold the PA head, tried a few(lots) of S.S. amps & hybrid amps & eventually settled on a Fender Bassman 300PRO-Needed the All tube sound I'd had all me life! Bought a SVT410HLF(when I had a 3 PRO amp) sold that for the Bergantino NV610(best move ever) , saved-with more high paying gigs- bought a Ampeg V4BH-super!!!!!!!!! then a Aguilar GS112 & LMII to use w/ my EUB for smaller gigs- not that the LMII can't go BIG & LOUD-it's the best S.S. amp I've ever had/tried IMHO- SO I'm SET as far as amps & cabs go!!!! Basses too really - just modding my latest P.
Sorry to rave on!

FIRST POST !!

hondo 2 precision copy [ was good first bass..]

aria sb pro elite 2 [ god why did i let it go !! ]

marlin sidewinder [ backup pile of poop ]

96 fender usa deluxe [ solid as steel, never fails me ]

samick 5 somethingorother [ first 5 string ]

ibanez ergodyne 5 [ 2nd 5 string, not bad but little strange looking ]

warwick corvette proline 5 [ my main deep bass tool ]

musicman stingray [ too much like my fender but without the rock solid feel ]

peavy milestone 3 [ my daughters learning bass, very good for the price though..nice neck ]

daisy rock heartbreaker in purple [ my daughters first bass but now a wallhanging !! ]

rickenbacker 4003 [ my new toy a proper ric and its awsome ]

thats it for now !!

the fender the warwick and my ric are my main gig tools now..

Edited by movwkd

I think this could be quite amusing and I am sure there are a few missed out:

In Rough Order

Vox nightmare I needed a crane to put it on.
Ricky 4001 Sunburst
Ricky 4001 Blue cos Geddy Lees was Blue
CMI Ricky copy it was about now that I realised I didnt like the binding on them ha ha
Kramer Flying V with Auminium Neck white then camo
Hagstrom I cant remeber the model but they featured it in bass player magazine .. the model not mine it had pictures of flowers on it so it went real quick
5 string Aria Pro 2 strings to close together Sexy Black!!!
66 P bass been refinished purple like a cadburys wrapper ohh chocolate
68 P Bass re fin yellow
Gibo EBO wish I had not sold this one.... Like a wine red
Ibanez destroyer red
BC Rich iron bird black
BC Rich warlock Black
BC rich Bitch (I had some wiered deal thing) black
Ibanez Blazer Bass Black
8 string beast custom made never found out who by. tunned Fsharp b e a d g c f wieghed a ton had norma P bass spacing and I could not get hold of a low low string could only get upto 135 if memeory seves me right.
6 sting cairnes would love a photo of this my first custom bass sunburst
Yamaha 5 string BB something or other natural
77 Jazz bass Black
Aria SB 1000 Black re fin
Ken Smith 6 string too neck heavy and made a shed load of beer tickets selling it ob to be honest it was a good bass but not worth 2K Natural
66 Thundebird for about 15 mins got it on hp then took it back cos i could not really aford it shop gave me back my deposit and I got real drunk I mean real drunk!!!!
Music man stringray for about 2 hours made a shed load of cash buying then selling while on tour
Another P bass squire I think as a spare black
Kramer picollo natural
Tokai P bass mega sunburst disaapeared
Fretless Jazz mid seventies lovely
Jazz bass white now sporting a music man style neck emgs and a badass bridgethis then did me as my main bass for about 1500 gigs
Warick streamer jazz man
Shuker custom built thang
6 string fretless shine not bad and now up for sale the thomstick strings cost me 70 squid
Cairns picolo
I have owned a few of uprights plywood awful thing and a german dead flash costafortuna Had an electric upright that was a project by some clever person real nice but yet again i was offered a shed load of beer tickets so it went....

Edited by hogman

Past Owned.

Stagg MB300, First ever bass, probably the best starter bass one could ever own. It had Twin MM pickups and i have just realised that those pickups are probably my sound and i havent owned another MM pickup bass until recently.

Kramer Aluminium neck Voyager, Only had for about month, It was nice enough to play but the sound was pretty bland for the money i paid for it.

Gibson Custom Shop Q-80. Was very good, Regretted trading it out.

Galveston 8 string unpaired monster bass, Meh. It was good enough to tell me it was far too advanced for me to have at the time!

BC-Rich NJ Mockingbird from 1986, Bought From Lorne, Sold to Wil, Want it back. I love the Electronics and it nails the Geezer butler tone.

BC Rich NJ Eagle Neck Thru, 80's. I liked the idea of having a neck thru, and to date has been the only neck thru i have owned. I just couldnt get on with the neck or the sound.

Maverick Dave Pybus model. Neck heavy, Nice sound if overly compressed. Worth far more then they are sold for. Nice Styling.

Fender Geddy Lee. Too thin sounding, Not like Geddy At all. Love the looks but thats it. Very unimpressed.

Warwick Fortress M, First Foray into Warwicks. Didnt last long, Hated it.

Warwick Streamer LX4, Second foray into Warwicks, Realised a second time i didnt really like them. Though lasted longer then the Fortress.

Spector Legend 6. Sounded great in the shop. Not at practice, Plus the upper registers i found rather choking, I didnt like the curved radius of the FB.

Fender Jaguar. Nice to look at Decent slap sound, But overall nothing really stood out for me with this bass. Probably did a better P impression then a J.

Hohner Cricket bat. Lovely slap bass, great tone, Got rid of it because i was "Upgrading" And needed the money. I would love an original steiny one day.

[b]BASSES I CURRENTLY OWN. (Everything is for sale for the Right price :) [/b]

[b]Yamaha RBX Johm Myung 6 string.[/b] The original MK1, Its heavy as hell but its the bass that has stayed with me longest (Technically See Tokai P bass entry) Its got 6 strings, Plays well for a 6. The sound is nearly what i want. Has been the only 6 string i ever got on with, Never attempted to sell it or contemplated selling (And so far has been the only bass i have owned that hasent) However Money is a great persuader! Its a great tapper, Replaced the Plastic nut for a Corian one and put a Neutric Locking Jack on it.

[b]
Musicman SUB Stringray. [/b]Very Recent aquisition but i love the Sound, And is very close to THE tone. Its a tad brittle on the top end but i got a amazing deal on it and love it very much, Might sell to put towards a SR5 eventually. I LOVE the neck, Reminds me of a slim P neck.
[url="http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sub1wm2.jpg"][/url]

[b]BC-Rich Ironbird Bass USA.[/b] Bought this NOS. Havent had alot of time to play it as its been at shop getting settled into the English weather. Its gorgeous, Plays great. BRILLIANT P tone. Rare as hell and i havent seen another in such good condition for sale. Would only possibly sell for quite alot of money (Were talking 700+ here, The trouble it took to get it over here :S) Needs straplocks and a webby strap once its ready to go on an outing.
[url="http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=im000398me0.jpg"][/url]

[b]Tokai P-Bass. Japanese[/b] Probably the bass i have played most gigs with. One of the only basses i ever bought new. I have owned it twice. I traded it out and traded it back in. I missed it alot. I upgraded and pimped it out. The best playing P i have ever played, Sounds like a P should, However i still keep putting it up for sale even though i know i would just want it back again ASAP! I just think this bass was born to stay with me.

To me everything is for sale at the right price. Thats how i have a revolving door of basses. I am getting closer and closer to the tone i want all the time however.
[b]
BASSES I WANT TO OWN.[/b]

Bongo 5/6
Rickenbacker
BC-Rich Ironbird Neckthru with full electronics, Preferably 5 string.
Status Headless S2.
Something with a Trem.
Fender Antigua Basses, P or J.
P bass with Body Binding.

Edited by Shockwave

This may take a while, and it's definitely going to test my memory!

The story begins in early 1991 with...

1) "Axe" 4-string P-type bass. Very cheap, but serviceable as a firstie. Bought it for £60 - last time I saw it, it was on the wall of the local music shop for £175!
2) Bass Collection SB300 - I modded the hell out of this (Seymour Duncan active pickups - the ones with the little switches on - and a Kahler trem)
3) Chris Larkin Reacter 4-string (nice bass, if a bit beaten up)
4) That Bass Collection again (don't ask) Didn't sell it - just stripped it.
5) Westone Thunder 1-A fretless (my first fretless)
6) Hohner cricket-bat (was fun for about 5 minutes)
7) Nightingale 4-string (gorgeous, gorgeous bass - should never have sold it.)
8 ) Bizarre custom 6-string with fanned frets (made by a bloke who went to the London School of Furniture-Making with Martin Petersen... was, well, interesting...)
9) Musicman Stingray (nice, but just couldn't get it to sound right in the band I was in)
10) Fender 1974 Jazz - another one I should never have sold. It had mojo in spades, even after I put EMGs in it.
11) Custom "pseudo-Sei" 4-string (more about this in the "basses you regret selling" thread). This bass probably saved my life... but I lost my job and needed to pay rent, so it had to go. My biggest regret. :)
12) Sei Flamboyant 4-string. My first fully custom bass - wenge, ziricote, Lane Poors and red LEDs. Shame that it was around this time that I decided I preferred 5-strings. Plus, I lost my job about the same time I got this, so it went back to The Gallery at about the same time I had to sell the other bass. I suppose I never had the time to get attached to it.
13) Cort Curbow 5-string. Nice bass, and my first fiver. Was a stop-gap bass until I got...
14) GB custom 5-string. Bernie did a great job with this one, was very, very custom - custom body shape, two (!) Hipshots... but, like the Stingray, I just couldn't get it to sound good in a band context.
15) Dean Edge 5-string fretless - My second crack at fretless, and it wasn't a bad bass at all. I'd get another one.
16) Carvin BB 5-string. Again, wasn't a bad bass (got it in part-ex for the GB). I think someone here had it at some point...
17) Conklin Groove Tools 5-string. Very nice bass, but was just another stopgap until I got...
18 ) Sei Singlecut 5-string. My current squeeze. Amazing, awesome bass and is only getting better with age.
19) Spector (SSD) NS5CR - my first introduction to the amazing world of Spectors. Was an older Czech 5-string with a gloss black finish. I fitted SimS LEDs to it. :huh:
20) Sei fretless 5-string with Wal pickups - Got a good deal on this one, and it's another one I should have kept. Awesome bass, is now living somewhere in Japan! I moved to the US in September 2005, with the intention of staying, so this got sold to lighten the load - I only took two basses with me.
21) Squier P-bass. Xmas present from an ex of mine. Didn't hang around long. Neither did she, as it happens.
22) Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5-string. Got this through an endorsement (my old band were doing pretty well at the time) and paid less than 50% of list price. Just couldn't get on with it (that horrible thick neck was what did it), so I sold it for twice what I paid for it and cancelled the endorsement! :huh:
23) Squier Jazz 4-string. Was my attempt to get back to my 4-string roots... modded up with EMGs, etc. Another one I sold when I moved to the US.
24) Spector NS5CRFM. The bass that brought me and my wife together! Still got this one, both for sentimental reasons, and because it sounds and feels amazing.
25) Fake Fender "Jaco" Jazz 4-string. Got this when I came back from the US. It was cheap on eBay, and actually sounded and felt pretty good.
26) Squier VM Jazz 4-string. The 70s one. Nice, but, unfortunately, not my thing.
27) Ibanez ATK405 5-string. Awesome barking rock beast of a bass. Still got this one, as it sounds fantastic when you dig in.

... and that just about brings us up to date. Currently I have the Sei singlecut 5, the Spector NS5CRFM and the ATK405.

Big regrets? Selling my "pseudo-Sei" custom is the biggest one, as that bass had serious sentimental value for me. But I also miss the Nightingale, the Sei fretless and the '74 Jazz and would have those back in a heartbeat. The GB was also a lovely bass, and it's a shame it had to go (it was back up on eBay a few months back, but I missed out on it) - the electronics could probably have been tweaked to get a more suitable sound out of it.

And that's my story. :huh:

Edited by Russ

Well, I've only been playing two or three years but I'll put my list anyway. (in order of first bass to current bass)

Squier Bronco
Yamaha RBX
OLP Musicman
Ibanez SR500
Fender/Squier Jazz

I think there may be one more between my Bronco and my RBX, but I'm not sure and can't remember it if there is

Edited by lwtait

think I've forgotten some.....

1. Yamaha attitude ltd
  2. Yamaha attitude ltd II
  3. Yamaha attitude plus 5
  4. Yamaha attitude special edition
  5. Yamaha trb5
  6. Yamaha bb1600
  7. Yamaha bb714bs
  8. Yamaha bb424
  9. Yamaha bb425
  10. Yamaha bbg5s
  11. Fender American standard precision 2005
  12. Fender American standard precision 2013
  13. Fender 51 reissue tbass
  14. Fender MIM classic 50's
  15. Fender Precision Roadworn
  16. Fender Mex P bitsa
  17. Fender Mex precision
  18. Fender Mex P 60th Ann.
  19. Fender Mex Mike Dirnt sig model
  20. Squier Mike Dirnt sig model
  21. Squier vm pbass tb
  22. Squier vm 75 jazz
  23. Squire affinity 51 precision
  24. peavey cirrus
  25. Schecter stiletto diamond
  26. Schecter stiletto custom 5
  27. Schecter stiletto elite
  28. Status Shark 4
  29. Ibanez atk
  30. Ibanez blazer
  31. Ibanez ab200
  32. Ibanez SR605
  33. Ibanez RB850
  34. Ibanez SR705
  35. Washburn bantam XB400
  36. Washburn XS4a
  37. Washburn XS4a fretless
  38. Washburn MB8
  39. Washburn SHB60
  40. Fenix bass? (warwick style, black – green burst)
  41. Kay pbass
  42. Some other catalogue short scale bass?
  43. Westone thunder 1a
  44. Westone thunder 1a fretless
  45. Epiphone eb3
  46. Sterling by Musicman Ray 34 TBS
  47. MusicMan Stingray VB
Edited by andy67

[quote name='walplayer' post='27004' date='Jul 4 2007, 02:46 PM']I quite like Wal basses BTW :huh:[/quote]
Me too funnily enough, just not with [i][b]NEARLY [/b][/i]as much gusto as you!! :)

My exceedingly short list for 30+ years runs
[list]
[*]Unknown cheap & exceptionally crap P bass copy - famous only for having a No10 packet holding the pup up & which died of a broken back when lent to a friend who left it leaning in the corner of a greenhouse for most of one summer
[*]Shergold Marathon fretted (black) - that became a silverburst 8 string later in its life
[*]Shergold Marathon Fretless (black) - both the Shergolds went a few years back when I got sick of lugging 3 basses round & only using them for one number an evening.
[*]Aria SB1000 - nice enough but it went in p/x for the
[*]'82 Wal Pro1 that became a Custom effectively in '96, and which I still have & love to death
[*]MM Sub 5 with the John East preamp acquired last week from Silverfoxnik via Beedster
[/list]
I rather think I have had more amps than basses, but then I lucked on the penultimate bass in the list :huh:

Short list for me.
Westone Thunder 1A
Chris Eccleshall custom which looked a lot like a Wal and had Wal pre-amp pickups and bridge. It was a 4 string fretless.
Overwater progress elite 3 6 string fretless bought it from Laurence to fund his double bass buying.
Wal custom 4 string fretless Mk 2 with a Mk 3 neck joint and headstock.

Currently don't have a bass sold the Wal and the Overwater to fund the building.
Alan

In 21 years of playing I've owned/had in temporary possesion;
Ibanez Riccy copy.
Marlin Sidewinder(was quite good)
Aria Cat pro II
Fender Jazz
Hohner B2A
Hohner JJ(purple stain on maple top.I am colour-blind)
Yamaha jazzish thing(low output PUPs and clubby neck)
Status Groove
Warwick $$.
Amp wise,its;
Marlin 25w
Marshall 60w,
Carlsbro 150w head and 1x15+1x8 cab
Carlsbro 300w head plus cab above
Trace 300w head plus Peavey 1x15 cab.

[quote name='Magnolia' post='23565' date='Jun 26 2007, 03:06 PM']Interesting topic. I have had a modest amount of basses pass thru my hands.

1 x Guild B301-f
1 x Stagg jazz bass.
3 x MIM Jazz bass,
1 x MIJ Jazz bass (i really really regret selling this)
1 x MIM P Bass (modded with quarter pounders, again i regret letting this one go)
1x Squire vintage modified 70's Jazz
1 x Squire Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz
2 X Geddy Lee Jazz Bass (one i still have)
1 x Marcus Miller Jazz bass. (I still have)
3 x Jetglow Rickenbacker 4003's (one i still have)
1 x Modulus Flea Bass (which I miss)
2 x EB Stingrays
1 x Cort Curbow 5'er
1 x Yamaha RBX270
1 x Husdon Electro Acoustic
1 x AXL p/j bass (signed by the chili peppers)
1 x Squire bronco bass.

Im sure there are more that i dont remember.

Nick[/quote]

Here goes for my list:

Warwick Fortress Masterman Custom
Gibson Thunderbird
Warwick Streamer LX 5 String (no more 5 Strings for me)
G&L ASAT Bass
Fender 62 Olympic White USA reissue
Warwick Buzzard
Warwick FNA Jazzman LTD
Fender Jazz Deluxe
Overwater Series 1 Fretless
Gibson Thunderbird Custom shop
Fender Precision 75
Musicman Stringray
Aria something or other

Guitars prior to that:
Gibson Les Paul Classic