Why become a member? ×

Matilda is back home

ShergoldSnickers

After waiting a little while I've picked up Matilda today — the 5 string double bass I recently acquired via an auction. Much better to play than before. I've done some rudimentary recording...

[url="http://www.ianhalstead.com/bc/samples/Matilda.mp3"]Matilda[/url]

Excuse the really bad technique and intonation as I really am a beginner at this. :blush: :rolleyes:

Bridge straightened, new nut to get the action lower, sprung seam repaired, sound post moved slightly and new strings. Next on the list is a new lightweight tailpiece, new fingerboard to a flatter radius, and an adjustable bridge. I'm doing things in stages so I can monitor what's made the difference as things get changed.

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1379786726' post='2216804']
If I get time Geoff, I'll get a decent mic out and record it. I want to play around with mic positioning anyway, and this gives me the perfect excuse.
[/quote]

Sounds like a good job for a Sunday afternoon Ian! :-)
I just want to hear that low B!

OK.... the low B.

[url="http://www.ianhalstead.com/bc/samples/Matilda-low-B.mp3"]Low B recorded with CAD m179 large diaphragm condenser mic[/url]

Will have to eradicate those annoying plucks, stops and subconscious string damps that end up as 'slaps' :rolleyes:. That pretty much rules out any playing then. :lol:

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1379865150' post='2217525']
Those are some LOW notes! Nice one Ian, you have a really cool bass!
[/quote]

The fact that you are recording something doesn't half make you think about what you are doing. Shame it doesn't yet transfer to any hand/finger motor responses. :blush: :P

That recording was with flat EQ, with the mic positioned about 7" or 8" away, 'pointing' between the bridge and the G f-hole.