Why become a member? ×

Perfect rack amp ?

largo

As much as I love my Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II RC, everyone keeps talking of reliability issues so I'm looking at possible backups !
Then I got to thinking, whats the ideal rack amp features for me or anyone for that matter. So here's my thoughts, maybe people can talk me out of some things or have ideas of their own.

Mute switch on the front, with footswitch option - keep bass silent while not playing or changing basses
DI output on the front - when the amps in the rack I don't want to have to fiddle around in the back of the rack case to attach a cable each gig !
Tuner output on the rear - I use a rack tuner but ideally I'd think tuner out on both the front & rear (or in-built tuner would be nice)
Power Switch on the front - again, don't want to fumble around trying to connect or switch on power to the amp

So, that's my thoughts.
My Ashdown has 3 out of 4 if I use the send/receive for my tuner but ideally the power would be on the front.

Last thoughts are, are there any amps with all 4 options ?

[quote name='largo' post='23082' date='Jun 25 2007, 04:37 PM']Mute switch on the front, with footswitch option - keep bass silent while not playing or changing basses
DI output on the front - when the amps in the rack I don't want to have to fiddle around in the back of the rack case to attach a cable each gig !
Tuner output on the rear - I use a rack tuner but ideally I'd think tuner out on both the front & rear (or in-built tuner would be nice)
Power Switch on the front - again, don't want to fumble around trying to connect or switch on power to the amp[/quote]

My SVT-4PRO (which I am, coincidentally, selling) has 3 of the 4, excluding the front DI out. The rear one is easily accessed though. I'm not sure there are any amps in large scale production out there which have all 4 of these features, though I stand to be corrected?

Danny

Not many amps actually have the DI on the front from memory. It's actually an inconvenient place to put it if you think about it.

The only one of mine that does is ....... an Ashdown :)

Edited by Muppet

Hi Muppet

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Aguilar has the DI on the front too Muppet, and not sure why it's inconvenient to put the DI on the front as it makes more sense to me.
It's not as if the cable is permanent and I think it makes more sense for a rack mount amp to be totally accesible from the front, without having to try and plug cables into the back every gig. Does that make sense ?

S

P.S Thanks for the offer Derek, may take you up on that although fancy trying a LMII at some point as well

[quote name='largo' post='25297' date='Jun 30 2007, 02:14 PM']I think it makes more sense for a rack mount amp to be totally accesible from the front, without having to try and plug cables into the back every gig. Does that make sense ?[/quote]
You do have to plug your speaker cables in remember.... :)

[quote name='largo' post='25297' date='Jun 30 2007, 02:14 PM']P.S Thanks for the offer Derek, may take you up on that although fancy trying a LMII at some point as well[/quote]
Anytime at all mate, but it'll have to wait a few weeks as I'm of to Thailand for an extended break.

D.

Hi Dek

My speakon cable is plugged in permanently to the amp and just connected to the speaker at each gig.
I have a single 4ohm cab and I just coil the cable up & leave it in the back of the rack case with the amp connection left in place.

S

I think I may have found one ...

Checked out the Aguilar DB750 review in the BGM and thought I'd look at the AG500SC on the Aguilar website.
Puts a tick in all 4 boxes, power, mute, DI on front and tuner send on back for my rackmount tuner.

So anyone got a review, maybe comparing the AG500SC to a LMII or Ashdown ABM 500 ?

S

Edited by largo

I would also like to mention Gallien Krueger.

I have the 700RB II and it does everything I want from an amp and it was the one I bought to replace my craptacular Ashdown 500 EVO II space wagon decombibulator or whatever they are called.

The tuner output on the front is ideal for me as I have a Fender rack tuner and its input is on the front so I just need a short patch lead to connect the 2 together