Why become a member? ×

Modern Player Jazz

AntLockyer

Had a chance to try both last year's and this year's models this weekend. Not through the same rig unfortunately but I got some impression.

Last years one had the standard Jazz controls and I thought they had missed a trick there, something else to differentiate it would have been good. So did Fender as that's what they've done for this years model. The sound possibilities seem much greater now although the multi position switch wasn't very pronounced. The sound also seemed to be clearer and articulate more of what you were doing with very subtle variations in playing making noticeable timbre changes.

I was left underwhelmed and cured of my MPJ GAS after playing last years one (the trans black is so nice though, maybe the nicest finish Fender have done for years). Then I played this years and I wanted it instantly. However the finishes this yer are horrid, satin black and satin burst. Both will look rubbish after about 5 minutes.

Anyway that's my mini review and again I got a very warm welcome from Wunjo's bass shop as usual.

I had the flat black/maple 2013 model for a short period, certainly long enough to get acquainted before spending too much on hol and having to get shut.

+ more tonal options due to the coil-tapped pickups. Mixing a single coil with a double coil was quite useful and led to some nice sounds.
+ the pickups are decent - similar design to those on the Roscoe Beck.
+quality hardware, fit & finish.
+ nice slim neck, finished in gloss (my preference).

- I didn't particularly like the satin finish - would have preferred gloss.
- the split on the pickup coils should have been the two inner, rather than the two outer coils, to allow the 'standard' Jazz sound. With both outer coils, the neck coil is further towards the neck and the bridge coil is nearer the bridge - a 5" distance between them was an interesting nasal sound, but not as nice as it would have been with the two inner coils. That said, it's something different from the norm.