Why become a member? ×

Best bassline ever?

Scorchin

oh just remembered some old indie stuff, anyone remember a band called Sensless things? they had some really good bass lines in there, Bassist was Morgan Nicholls....

I do. Some years ago band I was in got a few support slots with band formed by Miles Hunt, Billy Duffy & Morgan called Vent, so got to know him a bit. Amazing bass player, & a lovely, gentle bloke...used a H/H V-S Bassmachine.
He's now in Damon Albarn's Gorillaz band. Jamie Hewlett loosely modeled character Murdoc Nicalls on Morgan (he was also a Senseless Things fan).

cool i didn't realise he was in gorillaz, wou;d explain that style of bass though. he really made me want to get a status.
sensless were ace, john peel really liked them, shame they never really got anywhere but their music was cool, miles hunt was also in that video i posted earlier, i was also a big fan of the wondwer stuff's second bassist can't remember his name right now.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='24802' date='Jun 29 2007, 11:35 AM']Yep.[/quote]

The main 'Two Tribes' bass line is a direct lift of a bass line by Leigh Gorman who played bass for Adam & The Ants and then BowWowWow in the early 80's. The Ants and BWW used Burundi rhythms as the basis of their sound.

Frankie Goes To Holywood were huge BWW fans and Two Tribes was lifted from a song called 'Elimination Dancing'. One of Leighs best bass lines was on BWW's first hit, 'Go Wild in The Country'.

[quote name='simon1964' post='25040' date='Jun 29 2007, 06:07 PM']I'm surprised Town Called Malice hasn't got a mention.

How about Paul Simonon on London Calling? -The first bassline I ever wanted to learn (many years ago!)

And Soul to Squeeze - RHCP. Flea at his funky, melodic best.[/quote]

i agree!

duff on sweet child of mine, too
i like by the way by red hot chilis, too

[quote name='nick' post='25153' date='Jun 29 2007, 10:11 PM']oh just remembered some old indie stuff, anyone remember a band called Sensless things? they had some really good bass lines in there, Bassist was Morgan Nicholls....

I do. Some years ago band I was in got a few support slots with band formed by Miles Hunt, Billy Duffy & Morgan called Vent, so got to know him a bit. Amazing bass player, & a lovely, gentle bloke...used a H/H V-S Bassmachine.
He's now in Damon Albarn's Gorillaz band. Jamie Hewlett loosely modeled character Murdoc Nicalls on Morgan (he was also a Senseless Things fan).[/quote]

I saw Vent at Reading '95. We only went to see Billy Duffy. Someone threw a beer can at him and he just ducked and without batting an eyelid kept on playing and gave them a smile......one of my guitar heroes.

[quote name='nick' post='25149' date='Jun 29 2007, 09:54 PM']"This Charming Man" - The Smiths[/quote]
That's a great call. It's so clever, you don't really notice how much is going on but it's like a bass lesson in one song. Would advise people to go re-listen to it.

In same vein, check out "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine" or "Somebody Told Me" from the Killers' first album [i]Hot Fuss[/i]. You can tell that guy grew up listening to The Smiths!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='25668' date='Jul 1 2007, 05:49 PM']That's a great call. It's so clever, you don't really notice how much is going on but it's like a bass lesson in one song. Would advise people to go re-listen to it.

In same vein, check out "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine" or "Somebody Told Me" from the Killers' first album [i]Hot Fuss[/i]. You can tell that guy grew up listening to The Smiths![/quote]

They are top basslines.
I also reckon the likes of Peter Hook, & possibly Simon Gallup are influences on Mark Stoermer's style along with Andy Rourke.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='26024' date='Jul 2 2007, 01:48 PM']Can't get much better influences than those three[/quote]

Your'e bang on there.
On the subject of two those bassists, have you heard of [i]Freebass[/i] - a side project with Hooky, Mani & Andy Rourke?
They should have some material out soon, looking forward to hearing it. Don't think I've ever heard songs with three basses before! :)

THE CHICKEN (made famous by Jaco)

Come Together - Beatles

Playa Playa (D'Angelo) Pino playing on that - nuff said

Too High (Stevie Wonder)

Got to work and hang out with Herbie Flowers a couple of weeks ago. What an amazing man. His stories were amazing and his playing is brilliant!! So defo Walk on the wild side!!

He'll be on the website I work for www.showmehowtoplay.com Being launched today as far as i'm aware!!

Take it easy

N

Great thread this!
Too many great basslines.... started going through my old collection, hearing a lot I didn't listen to first time round - getting new inspirations. :)
Though I can't think of one being being [i]best ever[/i].

A few more suggestions:
'Kowalski' - Primal Scream
'Same Old Scene' - Roxy Music
'24 Hour Party People' - Happy Mondays
'Funeral Pyre' - The Jam
'Radio Babylon' - Meat Beat Manifesto