Why become a member? ×

Best bassline ever?

Scorchin

Lots of my favourite Ox lines have already been suggested - how about Substitute. Take the bass line away and there is not much of a song.

Crossroads by Cream - Jack at his best.

Im a Mover - Free. Andy Fraser's bass riff in Alright Now is a little to obvious.

Going Underground - Jam. Foxtons Ric never sounded better.

I Was Made To Love Her - Stevie. Such a great Jamerson line Carol Kaye tried to nick it.

Jack The Bear - Duke Ellingon. Jimmy Blanton changes the world of Jazz bass.

dammit i was gonna suggest JB on Crossroads (live)!

Um, pretty much anything by Zeppelin is a given really.

On an odd slant, I really like Music Of The Mind by Jamiroquai, that's a lovely little workout.

Edited by Stag

[quote name='Rich' post='23103' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:13 PM']'When Doves Cry', Prince :)[/quote]

heh heh.. I hadn't spotted this post.. yeh.. that song was a work of genius!

[quote name='Lenny B' post='23123' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:45 PM']Have you seen this? [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDE-ZvfOwU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDE-ZvfOwU[/url][/quote]

This DEFINITELY has to be made a sticky! I've lost count of the amount of times this has been posted on BW/BT/BC :) Always worth a watch though!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='23199' date='Jun 25 2007, 08:30 PM']Lots of my favourite Ox lines have already been suggested - how about Substitute. Take the bass line away and there is not much of a song.[/quote]

+1000. Every track Entwistle plays on has my favourite bassline!

The most fun to play IMO are -

WGFA (as in video above)
The Ox
Dreaming From The Waist
Success Story
Heaven and Hell (Live At Leeds or IOW versions are sublime)
Doctor Doctor (great fun to play and sing, I hope my voice never breaks!)

So yeah! JE all the way.

My personal favourites:

Wherever I lay my hat - Paul Young (The tone is as awesome as the 'lead bass' style)
Shake for me - SRV & Double Trouble
Land of hope and glory - Madness
Rio - Duran Duran (definately seconded!)
Nightcat - Dave Hole

I'm sure I can think of more, but this is all that comes to mind whilst I'm pretending to work.

Russ.

Edited by Painless

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='23185' date='Jun 25 2007, 08:03 PM']This is a really cool thread because there's so many great basslines. I doubt you could say that about how many great 'rythym guitar' parts there are![/quote]

Very true. To be fair, it's the bassline that gets people nodding their heads along. Something that my bass tutor says almost everytime I have a lesson :).

Hmmm a mixture for me:

Roll The Bones - Rush, quite an underrated Rush song imo.
Happy? - Mudvayne, the chorus will just make me smile because of Martinies excellence everytime.
The Beat Goes On - The Whispers, the bassline just makes the song.
Jamiroqua i- Virtual Insanity, Return of the Space-Cowboy...I could go, just goes to show how amazing Mr. Zender is!
I Wish - Stevie Wonder, A great test of endurance.
Oops Up-Side Your Head - The Gap Band, so simple but lets the song breathe.
If You Want Me to Stay - Sly & The Family Stone, just a great muted funk line.

They're only a select few but there are far too many for too many different reasons.

James Jamerson
George Porter Junior
John Paul Jones

I think you could take your pick of any song featuring any of these bassists and form a very persuasive argument.

If I had to pick; probably either "My Girl" or "For Once in My Life." The very fact that I still can't play "For Once in My Life" despite its deceptive simplicity adds to its genius. Having three different transcriptions doesn't help :) .

"everybody here wants you" - jeff buckley. not sure who the bass player was...might have been jeff, but it's a stunning bassline.

simple and effective, and responsible for the key change after the middle 8.

if i am ever having trouble improvising a slow groove i actually try to emulate the feel of this bassline. it works a treat. i got a huge ovation once in scruffy murphys in watford after shoe-horning this bassline into some horrible cover we were doing.

one of the greatest songs ever written as well.

if you disagree, then well you're wrong. :)

[quote name='paul h' post='23458' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:41 AM']"everybody here wants you" - jeff buckley. not sure who the bass player was...might have been jeff, but it's a stunning bassline.

simple and effective, and responsible for the key change after the middle 8.

if i am ever having trouble improvising a slow groove i actually try to emulate the feel of this bassline. it works a treat. i got a huge ovation once in scruffy murphys in watford after shoe-horning this bassline into some horrible cover we were doing.

one of the greatest songs ever written as well.

if you disagree, then well you're wrong. :)[/quote]

I was sufficiently intrigued to find a link:

[url="http://www2.potsdam.edu/boula79/songs/Jeff%20Buckley%20-%20Everybody%20Here%20Wants%20You.mp3"]http://www2.potsdam.edu/boula79/songs/Jeff...Wants%20You.mp3[/url]

Acoustic version:
[url="http://www2.potsdam.edu/boula79/songs/JEFF%20BUCKLEY-%20Everybody%20Here%20Wants%20You%20(Acoustic).mp3"]http://www2.potsdam.edu/boula79/songs/JEFF...0(Acoustic).mp3[/url]

[quote name='ngombe' post='23160' date='Jun 25 2007, 07:07 PM']Hit me with your rhythm stick[/quote]
The first “proper” bassline I ever learned! (probably after “Smoke on the Water”)

Mine;
In Vogue (Japan)
Permafrost / Back to Nature (Magazine)
Down in the tube station at midnight (Jam)
Family snapshot (Peter Gabriel)
Ace of Spades (Motorhead)
Dazed & Confused (Led Zeppelin)

None technical, but the bass just makes the song on all these