Why become a member? ×

Hidden Cost of ordering from (ahem) Foreign Online Retailers!

yorks5stringer

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1379166608' post='2209364']
£2:2s:0d..? Are you sure..?
[/quote]

Yup! It was roughly £2.2.0. That's why I found it cooler to use the guinea as a unit and not the pound. See, actually, it was NOK 20, and depending on the currency flavour of the day, methinks that was indeed close enough to a guinea or two. :)

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1379151557' post='2209140']
Maybe it would be better to rename the thread The Hidden Cost of Ordering from Foreign Online Retailers. Seems a bit unfair to single out Thomann, and it might encourage others to buy locally.

Luckily I have Irish and UK accounts, so can get around this a bit! Although transferring from UK account to Irish can cost a few quid, while Irish to UK transfers are free.
[/quote]
;)

The best thing to do is find a CC that have the best foreign exchange rates. There as some out there. Its also important to check what exchange rate they use as I understand some CC's out there are 'free' to use abroad, but they use their own, less favourable exchange rate.

Personally I think its a bit unfair on the banks and retailers to blame them for this. Just checked my credit card statement, its pretty clear what I'd be charged, and thomann certainly is a German company so I cant see why the transaction wouldnt be in Euros!